• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    The side show is one of the reason I think we don't see more collectors showing good stuff at the 1500 show compaired to national gun day or OGCA shows.

I ask before I pick up anything from someones table. Many just grab at it and the point away with the muzzle anyone around.

I remember a guy at the 1500 that packed up and left in the middle of a show because someone marred a very expensive rifle he had for sale. I was a kid and remember him yelling and cussing the guy out and packing out. that may be where my ask before touching behavior came form.

I like a good freak show also. I maybe as you get old you have seen enough freaks.

Guys like you are great! I've forgotten how many times someone has carelessly picked up something, then dropped it... Then just walk away like it didn't happen. The demo lights aren't a big deal, its the $100 Benchmade that they drop tip first into the concrete.... The good news is, this is a small portion of gun show attendees. But they still exist....

But, to the OP

Michigan Antique Arms Collectors, Inc.

You'd like this show.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    OP, how often do people walk into a LGS wanting a model 52 or in my case current case a Ceaser Guerini combo trap gun. My guess is not very often. a good gun shop my not have what you want in stock but they will order it for you or tell you where you can find one.

And, as has already been mention above. People don't care about other peoples stuff. They will coon finger everything they can and don't care if the damage it. But, if the do the person selling it has to take a loss because some jerk damaged it.

just my :twocents: take it for what you paid for it.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    OP, how often do people walk into a LGS wanting a model 52 or in my case current case a Ceaser Guerini combo trap gun. My guess is not very often. a good gun shop my not have what you want in stock but they will order it for you or tell you where you can find one.

And, as has already been mention above. People don't care about other peoples stuff. They will coon finger everything they can and don't care if the damage it. But, if the do the person selling it has to take a loss because some jerk damaged it.

More than you think. LGS have a lot of guns brought in from Joe Q. public for sale or trade, I and several of my collector friends frequent several LGS looking for the trade ins etc, a model 52 would have us calling each other for sure!

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley

I actually want a Win 52. In fact, I recently met a gentleman at the WW range who honored me by allowing me to fire one of his. Magnificent stick it is! I don't have the funds to buy one but that will come in time.

What I enjoyed even more was the conversation and the history lesson.

I guess what I'm saying is that I understand EXACTLY what the OP is talking about and I would love to attend such a show!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I feel that if we all got together and started a collectors stlye show (hey we already have the PROFIRE sponsored event), we all could benifit from it in education,

So like a seminar? We sit around and listen to Kirk yammer about how Hugo Schmeisser invented the AK-47? Can't we just read INGO?

To talk to people who really know about and are passionate about collecting and displaying the things they love about there favorite guns and knives.

Gun people who know what they are talking about? Like INGO takes a road trip to Gunsite or something?

Dude, it's the gun culture, going to be a bunch of noise and very little signal.

Encourage better quality firearms displayed.

Displayed or for sale?

If better firearms sold at the Indy1500, the dealers would bring them.

Supply and demand.

Yeah, the flea market stuff looks bad but it sells and has a higher margin than guns and knives.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If better firearms sold at the Indy1500, the dealers would bring them.

I think thats a huge part of it. I know on the optics side the ISNIPER scopes for 15 dollars sell 10-1 over my 100 dollar scopes. Items get damaged and stolen (at my booth) nearly every show. Stolen has only happpened once, but scopes get dropped, fingers on the glass, hit with guns, etc. Once those items are damaged I cant sell them.

On another note, I think a lot of folks want the flea market environment. If not I wouldnt get so many folks talking about how they can save money by buying online vs paying tax. Flea market's dont collect tax, actual business's do.

I would love to see the 1500 go the way your describing, but I think ultimately the vendors will follow the money, and if selling flea market items is making you more money then why would you sell high end stuff only to worry about it getting damaged or stolen

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    More than you think. LGS have a lot of guns brought in from Joe Q. public for sale or trade, I and several of my collector friends frequent several LGS looking for the trade ins etc, a model 52 would have us calling each other for sure!

I actually want a Win 52. In fact, I recently met a gentleman at the WW range who honored me by allowing me to fire one of his. Magnificent stick it is! I don't have the funds to buy one but that will come in time.

What I enjoyed even more was the conversation and the history lesson.

I guess what I'm saying is that I understand EXACTLY what the OP is talking about and I would love to attend such a show!

I could be wrong, I will not deny that.

But we cannot omit the fact that gun store just can't call a distributors and get classic old used guns like the can a Glock or M&P. Would be nice if they could though.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I think thats a huge part of it. I know on the optics side the ISNIPER scopes for 15 dollars sell 10-1 over my 100 dollar scopes. Items get damaged and stolen (at my booth) nearly every show. Stolen has only happpened once, but scopes get dropped, fingers on the glass, hit with guns, etc. Once those items are damaged I cant sell them.

On another note, I think a lot of folks want the flea market environment. If not I wouldnt get so many folks talking about how they can save money by buying online vs paying tax. Flea market's dont collect tax, actual business's do.

I would love to see the 1500 go the way your describing, but I think ultimately the vendors will follow the money, and if selling flea market items is making you more money then why would you sell high end stuff only to worry about it getting damaged or stolen

Scratch and dent sale? you know what is on my wish list right now. And I am still saving for it. Had some unexpected expenses come up and delay my plan.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I could be wrong, I will not deny that.

But we cannot omit the fact that gun store just can't call a distributors and get classic old used guns like the can a Glock or M&P. Would be nice if they could though.

I understand your logic, but it is actually an individual business model to decide who their distributors are, some are more aggresive at buying/trade ins etc. One only has to look at Cabelas gun library online to realize there are many used classics for sale? Do the LGS have somthing to learn????????;)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I knew that this subject would pull off some feathers. Maybe I started it negitive by putting the 1500 in the title. It is just like me to use shock and awe to make a point and I am not ragging on the 1500 only. I did not want to make it the old OC/CC agrument about the 1500.

Many people are not looking for anything other than a glock gen 4.
    Many people don't get gun digest or watch the auction sites.
    Table vendors want to make money that is why they setup the table.
    Walkers want to move this gun to buy that gun.
    I understand all of this. That is why the indy 1500 is what it is and has been. Fine I will still be attending as I always have. Just maybe not every show. We have been cutting down over the last few years.

I was just thinking that with 30,000 ingo members maybe a few might be intrested in something a bit different and judging by the ammount of negitive comments and "I have not been in 10 years.: comments maybe there would be others like myself intrested in the Collectors style show.

I guess pocket trades would be a start but it sounds more like small items you can fit in a pocket. The INGO show started here has developed a following for reloading equipment and such.

Maybe there is a limited amount of intrest and the Ohio trips will have to satisfy my desire.

Tulsa show is on my wish list but with kids and limited time away from home allowed it is not on the radar soon. Something within driving range like National gun day, Knob creek, Willmington, can be done in a day.

What i wanted was a open discussion on a Different kind of show. The OGCA started with 100 postcards. 43 attended. 30,000 members say 300 or 1 % show up. Still 6 times more that the first ohio show.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Sounds like a different show for different gun buyers, I myself am not into collecting guns other than having a lot of different things, I don't buy for the dollar value, I buy for quality, not really looking for show pieces if that makes sense
    ^^^this....i am not going to buy a gun of I don't plan on firing it.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I knew that this subject would pull off some feathers. Maybe I started it negitive by putting the 1500 in the title. It is just like me to use shock and awe to make a point and I am not ragging on the 1500 only. I did not want to make it the old OC/CC agrument about the 1500.

Many people are not looking for anything other than a glock gen 4.
    Many people don't get gun digest or watch the auction sites.
    Table vendors want to make money that is why they setup the table.
    Walkers want to move this gun to buy that gun.
    I understand all of this. That is why the indy 1500 is what it is and has been. Fine I will still be attending as I always have. Just maybe not every show. We have been cutting down over the last few years.

I was just thinking that with 30,000 ingo members maybe a few might be intrested in something a bit different and judging by the ammount of negitive comments and "I have not been in 10 years.: comments maybe there would be others like myself intrested in the Collectors style show.

I guess pocket trades would be a start but it sounds more like small items you can fit in a pocket. The INGO show started here has developed a following for reloading equipment and such.

Maybe there is a limited amount of intrest and the Ohio trips will have to satisfy my desire.

Tulsa show is on my wish list but with kids and limited time away from home allowed it is not on the radar soon. Something within driving range like National gun day, Knob creek, Willmington, can be done in a day.

What i wanted was a open discussion on a Different kind of show. The OGCA started with 100 postcards. 43 attended. 30,000 members say 300 or 1 % show up. Still 6 times more that the first ohio show.
    I don't doubt its a good show, and until I actually attended I don't want to judge it either way and say whether it is for me or not.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I actually like gun shows for the military surplus stuff, tactical gear, and misc tables.

I've never bought a gun from a show, and probably never will. If I want a gun, between the lgs, box stores, and the classifieds - theres really no reason for me to wait for a gun show.

Just my :twocents:

^^^ this ^^^ :)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    BTW, there were plenty of educational opportunities available at the Indy1500. I saw hundreds upon hundreds walk by a true relic of history in their pursuit of "dem cheap LCRs and Moy-sins".:laugh:

The VERY first Savage .45 (for the U.S. Army trials) and a Savage .45 in the white, along with the letters from the Savage museum detailing their sale:

View From The Porch: Fun Show Report...

People want schlock guns so schlock is what the dealers bring. It's bidness, not a musuem.;)

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Actually I go to see the freaks, geeks, and female cheeks (well some of them anyway).

Rarely see a deal at the show that I can't find at a LGS or on the net. Fun to look, and yes I do buy! My favorite is to see the geeks with the AR that has so many toys on it it has to weigh 25lbs. You know, the ones with a 3500 lumen flood light, bayonet, bipod, laser sight, ACOG with the automatic night time zombie finder, red dot with a 14x magnifier, 6000rnd drum, quick drum changer, you know all that really necessary stuff.

Still enjoy them and the time I get to spend with my son running interference. :twocents::twocents:

Top Bottom