• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Which one do you like and why? I've only been to indoor, Pop Guns and Applied Ballistics. So haven't had the pleasure to check out an outdoor range. Hoping to get to visit MCFG soon though

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I always prefer outdoor! Even if the indoor range has good ventilation it is still not as good as outside. I like being out in the different types of weather too, changes it up sometimes.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I hate winter, but shooting makes me brave the weather. I prefer outdoor ranges (generally speaking).

hunt4fun

Retired
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    North Salem
    Outdoors without a doubt. Whether I'm sighting in or just practicing, I'd rather have an open hillside to shoot into and the ability to set the target and the range I want. When I sight in a long gun with a scope outdoors I start at 12-15 yards. When I'm dead center, I go out to 25 yards until again dead center and then move out from there.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Outdoor, definitely. I like having more space to myself and not dealing with other people's hot brass flying down my shirt. I also haven't found a pair of ears that are comfy AND high quality enough for indoor for my liking.

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    183   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    The vast majority of my shooting is done outdoors. I can basically walk out my back door and shoot whenever I want. But I have shot at a few indoor ranges over the years. The one thing I have noticed is that I seem to shoot better at an indoor range. The only reason I can come up with is that my eyes are able to focus better because there is less distraction. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I always enjoy shooting at an outdoor range. The weather, the fresh air, the sound differences, those are nicer at outdoor ranges. But cleanup is easier at a nice indoor range!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I enjoy outdoor shooting much more than indoor. I've been to two indoor ranges, and did not enjoy the shooting experience as I do outdoors. The noise and ventalation in an indoor range bothers me.

uniquejohn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    west lafayette
    i will go outside when possible, but living in indiana has that limited, so i go indoors, the above posts covered the pros and cons pretty well and i would agree with them, but when it comes down to waiting for decent weather to shoot or go inside, no question........INSIDE

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Outdoor. For most of the reasons listed previously.
    I shoot year round and haven't gone to an indoor range in about two years or more.
    Plus, I like to shoot splattable targets, and the indoor peeps frown on that. :D

oucme69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    indianapolis
    I like the outdoor ranges best cause it helps with practicing cause u have the weather and environment to help u adjust for wind and anything else mother nature throws at u

n9iui

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I haven't used an outdoor range since I got out of the Army. I've been "Plinking" when I lived in southern Indiana, but since moving to Indy in 2000 I've only shot in indoor ranges. I really miss the freedom of having several outdoor sites to shoot at.
    On the other hand, I like indoor ranges over outdoor for one thing; being able to change your distances and targets at will and not having to wait for the firing line to close.
    I may have to check out an outdoor range though. . .I have just bought a Mosin Nagant 1891/30. It's ready to shoot, but I'll have to wait for my shoulder to recover from surgery first. I need to find an outdoor range near Eagle Creek where I can fire it.

jaramia20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Michigan City
    I shoot in both . In the summer , it's outdoor time . Winter , I go inside . I also like to change things up . It's good to know how to shoot in both . You never know when you will be defending yourself .

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Nothing sucks the fun out of shooting like an indoor range. I'd rather shoot a pellet gun or spitwad outside than a firearm inside. I still do, but it leaves an unsatisfied feeling when I'm done with all the money spent on ammo and very little if any enjoyment for it. I'm not planning to shoot my .45 at indoor ranges much anymore, picked up a .22 so at least I can be cheap about my indoor range time. In any case, it's warmed up so I can go shooting out in the country again.

Indoors: :noway:
    Outdoors: :yesway:

Top Bottom