• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Yesterday I shot at an indoor range in Greenfield. I have not shot a lot of indoor ranges but the ones that I have seemed like the ventilation systems "pushed" fresh or clean air into my back and downrange. Although this place was very busy it seemed like there was no air movement at all. I did inquire and the worker told me that it is running as normal. I was at one end, and the smoke and junk in the air was so thick, that looking to the other end was blurry and very thick. I was shooting at a small bullseye target where the black was about a three inch circle and it was very difficult to see that target at the farthest point from the smoke. Against my better judgement, I stayed for nearly the entire hour and should not have. My clothes were filthy, all cases, ammo boxes and equipment had a gray/black soot on them and the thick black saliva that I coughed up when I left looked terrible. This cannot possibly be a safe environment! This is something that will "turn off" a new shooter very quickly as they might think all shooting is like this experience. I just want to know is the majority of indoor ranges are like this or is there a known ventilation problem at this range?

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Beech Grove isn't like this at all and neither is Tim's in Westfield. Would you care to name the range you went to? I understand if you don't.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Sounds like most of the indoor ranges I have shot at. That is why I try to limit my time at them. Going to be doing a class at one next weekend and I hope it is a little better than the last time.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    That would be Highsmith Guns in Greenfield.
    Sorry to hear about your experience.
    I've shot there once and didn't have a problem with ventilation at all.
    Did you show him the problem?
    Did he see the smoke build up in the range?
    Sounds like it wasn't running to me.
    Weird.
    This is a nice indoor range and well lit.
    I wish BGF had better lighting.

flyboy84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Man that sucks you had a bad experiance. Swing by another day and see if it is any different.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Sounds like it might have been time for a filter change? Highsmith's is my favorite indoor range, I think the whole shop is run by a great bunch. Not saying the OP didn't have a bad experience, but this is not the norm for those guys, the shop and range have been spotless when I've been there.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    To answer some of the other posters comments....I did ask about but quickly sensed an "attitude" that I had the guts to ask about it, so I did not mention it again. It was Highsmiths in Greenfield. I do hope this was an isolated incident and this is not the norm there. I feel safe in saying that NOBODY should have been inside that range in those conditions. I am as Pro-gun/shooting as anyone on this forum and am thankful and happy for indoor ranges, but this type of thing is just what the ANTI's like and feed off of.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    there are some days (especially Sat and Sun) where every single lane in the range is being used from the time they open until the time they close. they stay steady packed in there and you do have to wait most weekends when you show up in the middle of the day to use the range. I'm sure a combination of that and a possible need to change filters etc could be the issue. I actually had a conversation with them about this issue recently and they assured me that they pipe fresh air in there and pull/push the "bad air" out. I don't know if, when they installed the system in the range, they knew just how friggin busy their range was going to be. When they first opened it was not uncommon for me to be the only person in their range (no matter what day of the week) and like I said...now it's non-stop everyday. The more people that mention the air quality to them...the more apt they are to "upgrade" their existing air purifier etc...

mgrigsby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I was in there yesterday and had to wait for a few minutes as they finished cleaning the range. One of the clerks there had mentioned that they had just replaced the filter a few minutes prior to me arriving. Seems like you had visited at the end of the life of the previous filter.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Big difference between adequate ventilation and good ventilation. I like the range at Highsmith, but when it's busy, the air system falls short. There are other ranges with much worse though. BGF did it right, that's for sure.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I was in there yesterday and had to wait for a few minutes as they finished cleaning the range. One of the clerks there had mentioned that they had just replaced the filter a few minutes prior to me arriving. Seems like you had visited at the end of the life of the previous filter.

That's good to hear. I'm sure that the system just gets overwhelmed if it's as busy as it sounds.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy

Quote. (They had just replaced "THE" filter), unquote.
    Mercy, BGF&R has a whole bank full of filters, it is very costly to replace them and they are computer monitored for when they must be replaced. But it is a top notch system.
    That's what a lot of your range fee goes for, clean, fresh, heated and cooled air.

BTW, join us for Tuesday nights shoot at 6:00, 6:30 or 7:00 for friendly competition.
    Any gun, any caliber.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    They need to understand that they need to have the fans cleaned as well from time to time. Fans get dirty and air flow falls. This includes air intake grills.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The air in any shooting range is by EPA to be turned over every hour. That means that all the air in the range has to be replaced every hour. If you are at a range and it is smokey, it is time to go. You should be able to see the smoke being pulled out of the place. That is why most inside ranges aren't heated. The old air has to be pulled out and new air brought in and you loose all the heat you had with the air going out.

The range I went in Miami, Florida didn't have filters. They just turned over the air. The place I go to in Kentucky say they have filters and change them every 60 days. I have no idea if that is true. It is just what I have been told.

Top Bottom