• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A few years back, I was pumping gas at the local circle K at around 0530, when I noticed a dude crossing the street about a 100 feet from me. just as he got to the lot of the circle K, he looked over at me and changed course heading at me with a big smile on his face, before he could even say anything, I loudly yelled GO AWAY. It was awesome seeing the smile instantly turn to a frightened look, and see him quickly make a left turn and sprint towards the store. I'm a big guy, 6'4", 275 lbs, and I'm not a morning person, so his scheme for a ride, or to bum some change was played out on the wrong guy. I hate being panhandled, hate it, pisses me off.

I almost exclusively fill up on my way to work well before sunrise, but my plan has always been to not let em get close enough to even ask for a smoke, plus I always carry, but I always wonder how many unsuspecting women and men fall prey to these idiots.

Gassing up is one of the times I open carry. It solves and eliminates a lot of issues.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    No. The answer is always no. Don't let random people get that close to you at the pump.

Pull up close to the pump just enough so you can still open the door and get out. Leave driver door open so you form a barrier with the car, door and pump.

Stay by the driver's door on this inside of the hose while it's in the gas tank, not back by the trunk. This forms a second barrier that someone would have to hurdle to get close to you. Keep your head on a swivel and if someone tries to approach get back in the car.

I have a car and I like this idea. Yes, an open door may tempt a robber into thinking he/she has easy access to my car. However, this person would have to go through me to get it. I started open carrying over the summer because the idea of an openly displayed firearm as a deterrent to a criminal tendencies makes sense to me.

However, in this particular scenario, would me OCing warn the criminal that I was armed and he would "ambush" me with his own gun as he commits the crime? Or, would he be a coward and seek out an unarmed victim instead so that he would have a clear tactical advantage?(Armed robber vs. unarmed victim)

Edit: It looks like Church Mouse made his comment while I was typing mine out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a car and I like this idea. Yes, an open door may tempt a robber into thinking he/she has easy access to my car. However, this person would have to go through me to get it. I started open carrying over the summer because the idea of an openly displayed firearm as a deterrent to a criminal tendencies makes sense to me.

However, in this particular scenario, would me OCing warn the criminal that I was armed and he would "ambush" me with his own gun as he commits the crime? Or, would he be a coward and seek out an unarmed victim instead so that he would have a clear tactical advantage?(Armed robber vs. unarmed victim)

Unless he thought getting your gun in the heist was an easy option most likely seek pout a softer target.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No. The answer is always no. Don't let random people get that close to you at the pump.

Pull up close to the pump just enough so you can still open the door and get out. Leave driver door open so you form a barrier with the car, door and pump.

Stay by the driver's door on this inside of the hose while it's in the gas tank, not back by the trunk. This forms a second barrier that someone would have to hurdle to get close to you. Keep your head on a swivel and if someone tries to approach get back in the car.
    Seems clostrophobic to me. Unless I'm gassing up an armored car, I'm not sure getting in will be that helpful. I'm now pinned in with nowhere to move if the SHTF. I' prefer the ability to put my car between me and the perp so I can take cover as well as trying to be a moving target.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013

Generally people out to rob places or people are cowards. They will not, in general, bother you if you pose a threat. Displaying a gun by open carrying is an obvious threat.

Of course there is exceptions to every rule. However, I believe that open carrying will prevent most crime against and around you if the bad guys notices it prior to his crime he wishes to commit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Generally people out to rob places or people are cowards. They will not, in general, bother you if you pose a threat. Displaying a gun by open carrying is an obvious threat.

Of course there is exceptions to every rule. However, I believe that open carrying will prevent most crime against and around you if the bad guys notices it prior to his crime he wishes to commit.

Unless you are carrying an unloaded sidearm in a shady area at 2:00 AM and let some POS get close with the "You got a cigarette" ploy.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Easy Peasy, keep your hand on the pump handle, when said assmunch approaches you, pull out pump handle, spray him down with gasoline, and DARE him to pull the trigger! OR, do all of the preceding, and light your lighter!

My room mate worked at a station at Sibley Blvd and the Calumet south of Chicago. In the 1970's the attendent still pumped the gas. Late shift would get pretty rough there. He actually hosed down a couple guys. They came back later and shot up the station drive by style. He said his only regret is that he didn't fire them up.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Most modern vehicles have the fuel pump mounted in the gas tank. When the fuel level gets below 1/4 tank, the pump is not properly cooled. Routinely running your tank almost empty will result in early fuel pump failure.
    Routinely filling up when you reach 1/2 tank saves your fuel pump from early failure and allows you to pick and choose when and where you buy gas.
    If things don't look or feel right, move on and buy it later.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    That's why I always carry cigarettes even tho I don't smoke. And a machete. Always a machete......

machete_zps312795b5.jpg

"Alright punk, do you feel luc***BLAM***!!!! Hey punk, I wasn't finished with my speech. Operator, what's the number for 911....?

Last edited:

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Caution! You are setting yourself up for a "Brandishing" a lighter charge.
    Easy Peasy, keep your hand on the pump handle, when said assmunch approaches you, pull out pump handle, spray him down with gasoline, and DARE him to pull the trigger! OR, do all of the preceding, and light your lighter!

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Or, when he asks if you have a cigarette, say menthol or regular. While he is confused, pull the pump end out and be ready to squirt. Or, if he takes the cigarette, tell him that it's a violation to light up near a pump, but you won't turn him in. After he lights it, be ready with the pump. Or, just give him some money and live another day.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    This was a post I posted on defensivecarry.com from last Thanksgiving. Thought I would re-post it up given the subject matter and time of year. (I also had only been carrying for a few months at this time):

One verbal command too many?

So we are visiting family in VA Beach. The wife and I were leaving my granny's house around 7:30 and she wanted to stop at seven eleven to get gas and some snacks for the trip home.

As we pull up to the gas pump, I notice a young to mid-20s white male with disheveled hair and street clothes kinda aimlessly loitering in the parking lot. The bells were going off in the back of my head, but I thought he might have been waiting for the rest of his party to get in one of the other cars at the gas pump. (My wife told me afterwards that she saw him get out of a car parked in front of the main doors as we pulled in...I asked her to share that info with me in the future).

So even though my SA was a little slow, I noticed the guy and warning bells were ringing. I even opened my center console to put my 642 in my front pocket where I normally carry it, but wasn't. (Long story). The plan was my wife was going to go in to get the snacks as I pumped the gas.

So as we get out of the car he starts walking toward us. As I get fully out of the car I realize he's going to approach my wife, so I say, "Excuse me?" He acts as if he doesn't hear me at all. When he gets around 7-8 feet away (way too close) I see he's about to say something to my wife. I interrupt before he gets a chance and say, "Don't talk to her!" Sheepishly, he says, "Oh, I'm just..." As he continues walking. I then say, "STOP, back away!" At this point my wife passes him by and is almost in the seven eleven. He complies with the stop command. And he even turned to go. And as he turned he mumbled something apologetic and said something about him being respectful.

This is where it could have turned bad. And why my situational awareness should have been up long before I noticed him loitering.

When he turned to go, he starts walking in the direction of my wife (I didn't know that was where his car was). To this I say, "NO, you go the other way." Then he gets upset. He raises his voice and said, "I'm walking to my car." He gets in the passenger seat of a car all the while railing at me. My wife is watching everything from outside the door of the seven eleven. Then he jumps out of the car grabbing at his waistband. At that moment, my hand is gripping my revolver and I am pulling it out of my pocket. At which point I realize he's just thug grabbing his crotch in some alpha male fight call out. So I slowly lower my firearm back into the holster but Im still holding on to it. (Later I asked my wife if she saw my gun. She did not. I just bought a new pair of pants and these have a much deeper pocket. In my old pants, more than half of the gun would have been exposed for as far as I pulled it out.)

All of this doesn't seem to phase him, he's still screaming at me and saying something about me "acting like I got a gun." He eventually gets back in his car and my wife gets back in ours. He calls me out one last time as they pull out asking for a fight in a parking lot west of the gas station, then they leave in an easterly direction. We quickly leave and go to a nicer side of town before we stop for gas and goodies.

I know it should have never gotten that far. I should have never let us get out of the car in the first place. Next time, when I hear the warning bells, I will just drive off.

And if I had known what car he came from initially, I would not have issued the last verbal command that damaged his pride so much. Honestly, if I knew what car he got out of, I definitely wouldn't have let us get out of the car in the first place. Once again SA is king.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville

I don't think a punk wants to "ambush" and shoot you without a really good reason if he's intent on getting money from you. How many thugs are going to have the time to roll your body over and search for your wallet? They want to scram asap. I think they'd do a 180 if they saw an exposed weapon.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Most modern vehicles have the fuel pump mounted in the gas tank. When the fuel level gets below 1/4 tank, the pump is not properly cooled. Routinely running your tank almost empty will result in early fuel pump failure.
    Routinely filling up when you reach 1/2 tank saves your fuel pump from early failure and allows you to pick and choose when and where you buy gas.
    If things don't look or feel right, move on and buy it later.
    I second that for another reason. On 9/11 I was in Owensboro, KY and had about 1/4 tank of gas. I didn't feel like gassing up and just wanted to get back to my shop in Evansville. With the mad panic of people trying to buy gas I almost ran dry before I could find a station that didn't have a huge line at each pump. Now I NEVER let it get below 1/2 tank.

Top Bottom