• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Even a school bus that just pulls into Burger King during a field trip where you are just happening to be eating lunch, can make anyone carrying a firearm a felon.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Even a school bus that just pulls into Burger King during a field trip where you are just happening to be eating lunch, can make anyone carrying a firearm a felon.

Interesting thought, I'd be anxious to hear what others have to say about this

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'd be willing to bet that it's not the case as the school doesn't own or rent the burger king it visits.... IANAL

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Unless the school has exclusive use of the Burger King, then I don't believe eating lunch is a school function.

Big difference between renting a space for graduation (a school function) and a bunch of kids (who happen to all attend the same school) eating lunch together.

Just my $0.02, and I'm not fleeing a BK just because a bus pulls into the lot.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I'd be willing to bet that it's not the case as the school doesn't own or rent the burger king it visits.... IANAL

Unless the school has exclusive use of the Burger King, then I don't believe eating lunch is a school function.

Big difference between renting a space for graduation (a school function) and a bunch of kids (who happen to all attend the same school) eating lunch together.

Just my $0.02, and I'm not fleeing a BK just because a bus pulls into the lot.

Unfortunately, the statute doesn't differentiate.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Been there many times. If you correctly CC it shouldn't be a problem anyway. There are no metal detectors or strip searches. The neighborhood isn't that bad in broad daylight. Stay in the designated parking spots and scout around for undesirables first before parking (like you probably always do anyhow).

If I went again, I would carry. But if you have little ones be careful as there are some things that you can climb in, around and through with the kid and you don't want that piece to preceed you down the slide or whatever.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Been there many times. If you correctly CC it shouldn't be a problem anyway. There are no metal detectors or strip searches. The neighborhood isn't that bad in broad daylight. Stay in the designated parking spots and scout around for undesirables first before parking (like you probably always do anyhow).

If I went again, I would carry. But if you have little ones be careful as there are some things that you can climb in, around and through with the kid and you don't want that piece to preceed you down the slide or whatever.

I would debate the "correctly" before the "CC", but that's for a different thread. As for the rest of it, it is most assuredly a problem as you are advocating committing a Class D felony. As noted previously in this thread, the Children's Museum now runs a school and daycare on the premises.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Where would you guys park if you wanted to go here but also take your firearm to leave in the car?

I'll be picking up a nanovault

joale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012

But could a bus stopping off at a random fast food place en route to/from a scheduled school function (field trip, game, band event, etc...) be considered a 'school function'? :dunno:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    But could a bus stopping off at a random fast food place en route to/from a scheduled school function (field trip, game, band event, etc...) be considered a 'school function'? :dunno:

Want to ask the random judge or a police officer that day?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Interesting thought, I'd be anxious to hear what others have to say about this

No, the bus stopping at a random fast food place would not considered a school function.

Cool. Are you able to provide the authoritative citation?

Please tell me you're joking...

Ted is NOT joking and currenlty in Indiana there is NO CASE LAW on what is knows as the "rolling school zone theory". TFT (Guy) has talked about this from time to time here on INGO.

The law was written with the intent to not allowed firearms at a "prom" when the "prom" is held off-site of the school (ie. Hotel) by the students. However the way the text of the way was written a case for the "rolling school zone" can be made by a anti-2A DA. THIS HAS NOT YET OCCURED IN INDIANA VIA ANY CASE.

This is one area where we need to fix/re-word the law to ensure no case can be made against us.

But again let me repeat THERE IS NO CASE LAW FOR/AGAINST IT RIGTH NOW.

Jedi

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    There is a private business just south of the Museum (south of 30th St.) with decent parking. I'm sure they would prefer that Museum patrons do NOT park there, but I have not seen any signage.

There is also a large parking area south-west of the museum that is private property. Again, no signage.

There is no street parking close to the museum. All of the "public" lots on the same block north of the museum (and across the street) are owned by the museum.

I have dropped my family off at the door to the museum, circled the block, and parked in the private business's lot. Rinse and repeat when it is time to go.

As much as I like the museum itself, I HATE going there.

Top Bottom