• chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    BLASPHEMER!!!

Two things about a hoosier tenderloin.

1: It must be pounded thin and have at least as much breading as meat.
    2: It must extend beyond the bun enough that so when you trim it to the size of the bun it becomes a double when you put it all back together in the bun.

If it doesnt meet the above criteria, you have yourself a breaded pork chop sandwitch. There is a huge difference.

In a pinch, DQ has a decent mini tenderloin... it meets item 1, but isnt big enough to be a true tenderloin. Still decent taste when you cant find a real one.
    Lincoln Carry outs in Hobart has a good pork tenderloin.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It's a Hoosier Thing...
    tender_zpswuqoc8g1.jpg

a5333082-82-drooling-homer-simpson.jpg.png

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    BLASPHEMER!!!

Two things about a hoosier tenderloin.

1: It must be pounded thin and have at least as much breading as meat.
    2: It must extend beyond the bun enough that so when you trim it to the size of the bun it becomes a double when you put it all back together in the bun.

If it doesnt meet the above criteria, you have yourself a breaded pork chop sandwitch. There is a huge difference.

In a pinch, DQ has a decent mini tenderloin... it meets item 1, but isnt big enough to be a true tenderloin. Still decent taste when you cant find a real one.

I prefer a 2:1 meat to breading ratio. But yes, it has to be unreasonably larger than the bun it occupies. Weenie World in New Castle has a pretty decent one, and it is huge, like the one in that picture.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Here I thought I was the only one that put scrambled eggs on my biscuit & gravy.

Definitely sugar creme pie. I have to fight my son for it. Wick's makes the ones you'll find in the freezer at Marsh etc. over in Winchester, east of Muncie. I've actually been there.

Mrs. Wicks freezer pies are not too bad. The crust kinda sucks, IMO. But still way better than any other store bought pie. Now as you say, if you make the trip to Winchester, you will be treated to a pie lovers fantasy. Quality is much better than their freezer offerings, and the selection is pretty amazing. Usually a good 15 varieties to chose from at a given time. And they have them whole for take out too. Might as well get a breaded tenderloin while you are there.

Now if one were to drive an extra 5 miles east to Union City, he would find a place called Bousers Barn. The selection isn't nearly what Wicks has, but in my opinion, what they do have is even better. And they have the best fried chicken I can recall ever eating. There is only seating for 20-25 people, or so.

The staff at both places are the sort of nice, down to earth folk one would expect to find in rural Indiana.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I thought the Indiana State Dish was the girl who does the Andy Mohr commercials? :dunno:

By the way, The Knuckle Sandwich on 144 just west of 37 (used to be a Dairy Queen) has a breaded tenderloin that comes on a bun the size of a standard dinner plate. Not the best t'loin I've ever had but bigger than a frisbee!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And while I love Tie Dye Grill, Their "tuesday tenderloin" special is actually a pork chop sammitch. Its sliced thin, not pounded. Tasty, but disappointing if you are expecting a tenderloin.

I've learned my lesson and stick with the ZZ Top burger, medium well.

Top Bottom