• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Don't know....but you might be exempt if you own 40 acres or more. I think that is what it takes to use a landowner hunting license. ....... but it sure sounds like more "plant control" to me.
    Next thing will be a license to hunt morels.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    You are probably right about eventually needing a licence to hunt mushrooms. I really wish that our fearless elected officials would mind their own business and quit limiting property rights and personal rights every time one of them thinks they have a great idea. You already have to have a permit to hunt ginseng and a permit to buy the stuff. We are going to legislated into sitting quietly in a corner unless we have a permit to go to the toilet someday. All those guys and gals at the statehouse do is think up ways to tax us to death and laws to govern our every concievable activity.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Not sure, but I think it's been a requirement for quite some time to have a license, Have even heard rumors of banning the practice altogether as it is allegedly "endangered". Some states already have, like MN. DID I MENTION THAT I HAVE NO SOURCE TO BACK THIS UP AND IT IS ONLY HEARSAY?

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    Why is every one surprised at this new type of license .
    The Indiana Assembly does not believe that you own your property .
    They have even went so far as to put it into the State Constitution .
    Property Taxes .
    You don't own your home , your land , nothing with a property tax in place .
    Since the government is the master ..why should it not control what you grow and harvest .

Duncan

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    "Requires a person to be licensed to grow or harvest ginseng."

Does anyone know what this means for those people who have wild ginseng growing on their property?

Indiana General Assembly

From reading the bill it wouldn't effect it at all, it seems to only apply to cultivated ginseng.
    : Sec. 8.8. A person who holds a ginseng grower's license may do the following:
    (1) Propagate and harvest cultivated ginseng.
    (2) Buy and sell cultivated ginseng in Indiana, including
    transactions conducted by employees or agents of the grower at the grower's business address.
    (b) Each ginseng grower shall submit to the department, not later than thirty (30) days after the last day of the selling season, a summary of all cultivated ginseng harvested by the ginseng grower during the previous calendar year. The summary must be prepared in the manner required by the department.
    Senate Bill 0498

My guess for requiring a license to grow ginseng is to stop the people who get busted with wild out of season and claim it's cultivated. Or those who get busted with over the legal amount. And it also makes cultivated ginseng legal for sale year long. Current law only allows it during the season and I think for 30 days after.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Let me pretend to be a government shill for a minute...

Where in the constitution does it say that you have a right to grow ginseng? Shouldn't community standards trump your right to property?

If the government has the power to ban one plant, it has the power to ban any plant.

Top Bottom