• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I agree with Phylodog on this one. While I think it is important for teachers to have the right to carry, I also believe that a school teacher/administrator who wants to carry should go through some sort of training.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Havent several of these school shooters offed themselves because they were confronted by someone with a gun?

I would like to think that a "teacher", someone that teaches people how to use and do things, would take upon themselves to know how to use a tool they wish to use.

Anyways, a school with armed teachers becomes less of an easy target regardless of training or not and regardless of whether anyone is actually armed. In the shooters eyes it becomes a harder target because they are allowed to carry.
    I would not bet my life or the life of the kids that the shooter will just end himself when confronted. It is a real possibility that there will be an exchange of gunfire. I would "hope" they know how to use their sidearms but "hoping" is a waste of time. Therein lies the false sense of security I was talking about. "A bunch of untrained, armed, teachers makes up safer." Until it doesn't!!! Until someone calls their bluff, then what? Look, I don't think anyone here is asking for weeks of training. But what the hell is wrong with making sure the teachers know how to handle, aim, and hit what they are aiming at? Nothing major. I would propose that if a teacher takes on the responsibility to carry in school, defending against a school shooter, that they attend an active shooter class. Why in the hell is that controversial? You think that the people taking responsibility for protecting kids against active shooters would need some idea what to expect in that situation? Active shooters are very different than anything most people prepare for.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    When our DNR CO's were issued AR's, they spent a week at Attebury before they could put them in their commission. I asked our CO what's up with a week long ordeal when any smuck can walk into a LGS, buy one and be on his way. The answer was one word, "LIABILITY"! That has very broad applications.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I would say that ANY LEO or armed security guard assigned to a school should be trained on how to respond to an active shooter scenario. By arming teachers, they become de facto armed school security guards in the event of an active shooter and will be expected to do what they can.

Medic529

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    The Westside
    So many mixed thoughts on this. At some point in time we have to stop and think about the root of the problem instead of throwing solution upon solution at it. The problem is that there are children with no parents. They've never had any sort of love or care in their life, chances are likely if they had they wouldn't want to walk into a school with intent to kill! If I feared for my child's safety so much that I want their teacher armed, I think I'd try homeschool. Then I know their teacher is trained and armed :):

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It is also VERY possible that a completely untrained teacher (or custodian, counselor, parent, lunch lady, or principal ....) is NOT!

It's also possible, as news accounts have shown, that "highly trained", competent, individuals can be quite dangerous, firing into crowds of bystanders at suspects.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    As free people, acting in their best interests and coming to the aid of those in need?
    Ah, you have a more optimistic view, that's ok. I tend to be more pessimistic, which is strange considering I'm quite the optimist in my personal life. I just don't see a school board going from NO firearms to allowing everyone. It isn't realistic, small steps seems more likely. Anything is possible I suppose.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    It's also possible, as news accounts have shown, that "highly trained", competent, individuals can be quite dangerous, firing into crowds of bystanders at suspects.

The incidents I assume you're talking about are examples of individuals who are SUPPOSED to be trained - but are not. NYPD and Chicago PD street officers are notoriously undertrained for their positions when it comes to firearms.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    And you cant do that if you have firearms training????

Training is a good idea. Safe handling and marksmanship is a responsibility. But having to fulfill some prerequisite to exercise a constitutionally protected right somehow only gets applied the exercise the 2A for some reason.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The incidents I assume you're talking about are examples of individuals who are SUPPOSED to be trained - but are not. NYPD and Chicago PD street officers are notoriously undertrained for their positions when it comes to firearms.

Imagine the training they'd require of school teachers and administrators then.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well, that is certainly a valid argument against standards for teachers to carry at school. I'm convinced, well done.

image_zps80ad748e.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom