• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    can anyone tell me what rifle cartridges are legal to deer hunt with in indiana, i know you can use the 44 and 357 mag and i saw the pic of the guy with the 458 socom, and does it matter what kind of rifle it is, i think the 458 was an a r,

Hank in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    South Central In
    The In. hunting book states any rifle capable of firing a legal cartridge. It makes sense because any rifle is capable of firing an illegal cartridge. That is why there is no limitations on the rifles only the cartridges.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hello rkesar,

The link that joseywales7450, posted will give you all of the requirements for casings. As for rifle action Hank in Indiana is correct, any action can be used.
    Also there are some casings that people have trimmed down so they meet the length requirements to be a legal rifle round to hunt deer in Indiana. The one that seems to be the most common is the 460S&W, and the only one I have seen. I have heard tall and have talked to people that have looked at other casings to trim down. The one fellow I talked to was looking to trim the 450 Marlin down. I would think unless he had a custom barrel made that the slug would set back to far in the chamber, and be to far away from the rifling to be very accurate. :dunno:

one more

Hank in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    South Central In
    When the rifle law was established I shortened a 40-60 for my 81 marlin and it shot pretty good so I shortened a 45-70 for my 73 trapdoor. It shot its best group so I bought a 95 Marlin so I could push the pressure a little. The marlin shoots 2-3 minute with a 300g. at 1450 fps. For 1 or 2 deer a year I can live with the accuracy.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Great information, all these years, I thought all you could use was a shotgun, that's what I get for thinking

Bigswin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    I'm wondering how many guys/gals left there shotguns in the safe this year and used rifles instead?

johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    I seen and heard quite a few on public land this year, as for me ill never trade in my 870 with a hastings barrel...

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Left the shotgun home

I hunt the whole season with a muzzleloader. I don't think that you can compare the range and stopping power of an ML to any of the other legal weapons although some of the things I have been reading on new shotgun ammo may change that by the 2010 season.

triton54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2009
    NE
    I just want to make sure I read the regs correct for handgun.

I could use my T-C contender Chambered in 45-70, for deer hunting, correct.

But not a rifle chambered in the same.

johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    I hunt the whole season with a muzzleloader. I don't think that you can compare the range and stopping power of an ML to any of the other legal weapons although some of the things I have been reading on new shotgun ammo may change that by the 2010 season.

I've been debating taking my omega all year just because it is so much lighter to carry and just as accurate with better range. Then I realized I cant even remember the last time a had a shot past 150 that I needed to take anyways, and with the new remington sabots and a hastings barrel I wouldnt hesitate that shot IF I needed to take it.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Who has used the 458 SOCOM and how was it? What results did you have? And if there were issues, (as my brother says) was it caused by the ARROW or the INDIAN?
    Thanks

johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Who has used the 458 SOCOM and how was it? What results did you have? And if there were issues, (as my brother says) was it caused by the ARROW or the INDIAN?
    Thanks

im curious about this also. I never seen myself shooting anything other than a shotgun but after just seeing a post of a 458 SOCOM M4.... wow... I think that, could sway me...

Bigswin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Disengaged,
    Have you been pretty happy with the .357? I almost picked one up this year but the prices were pretty high for what I wanted.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009

A good 500 S&W will have more stopping power and shoot just as well if not better than a muzzleloader. Mine shoots less than 1" groups and throws out a 300 gr bullet at around 2300 fps.

I think with a muzzleloader with a full charge you're looking at similar velocity with a 250 grainish bullet. But alot of muzzleloaders do not shoot well with a full charge.

I'd also argue a 445 Supermag, 454 Casull and 475 Linebaugh will have all the energy of a muzzleloader and probably just as accurate if not more so. All these loads will leave the muzzle at low 2000 fps range.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Great information, all these years, I thought all you could use was a shotgun, that's what I get for thinking
    It only changed a few years ago, so you're partially correct.

I'm wondering how many guys/gals left there shotguns in the safe this year and used rifles instead?
    I left the shotgun in the safe this year.

I'll disagree. I was once a big proponent of muzzleloaders too, and used to take one to the field anytime I was hunting where longer shots may be taken, but I've never seen a muzzleloader that can reliably hold groups as tight as my .458 socom. I can usually keep them within 1.25" at 100 yards. And launching a 300 gr projectile at 2000 fps helps a lot too. I think the downfall of MLs is the accuracy; with a gun that can hold good, tight groups, you can shoot much further as long as you know the "dope" for your cartridge. Even 2 or 3" groups from a ML will open up to 6-9" at 300 yards, where the 1.25" groups will open to less than 4" at that range.

I just want to make sure I read the regs correct for handgun.

I could use my T-C contender Chambered in 45-70, for deer hunting, correct.

But not a rifle chambered in the same.
    Correct

In a handgun, you can just about use any cartridge (there are a few limitations, but not nearly as restrictive as rifles).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom