• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I had a cop in Terre Haute tell me that about 20 years ago. He said he didn't care if someone had a license, if he didn't have a receipt for the firearm he would confiscate it as a stolen firearm.

I told him I had a license, and a firearm, and no receipt... go ahead and confiscate it and good luck with the immediate lawsuit.

He didn't confiscate it.

No surprise. At that general time, it was a commonplace thing for the THPD to do some truly d*ckheaded things to gun owners like that.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I actually heard this from a guy at work the other day. Only he had had his confiscated due a "dispute" between him and his wife. But he said he had to show a receipt for every gun when he went to get them back. No receipt, no gun. He then went on to tell me that it was state law that you have to register your guns with the state police. He was unable to provide any additional info, like the actual code itself.

Oh and :popcorn:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I also heard something about the lifetime LTCH going away soon.

I don't know why you put that in grape. The lifetime LTC is going away, when they pass Indiana Constitutional carry you will have to buy the new reciprocity license.

Yea it's true law was passed last week, better carry your receipt, passport, don't forget the yellow arm band.

So much sarcasm on this site

What sarcasm, I don't see no sarcasm, we don't need no stinkin' sarcasm.

Is this friend of your friends named Stiffy?

No, his name is Sneezy! :):

Shoot, I thought he was talkin' bout Snuffy.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I actually heard this from a guy at work the other day. Only he had had his confiscated due a "dispute" between him and his wife. But he said he had to show a receipt for every gun when he went to get them back. No receipt, no gun. He then went on to tell me that it was state law that you have to register your guns with the state police. He was unable to provide any additional info, like the actual code itself.

I have not heard of this... and I've looked.
    I am currently (temporarily) in Michigan and I had to register my handguns - they don't care about long guns.
    Granted, I haven't looked in the last 8 or so months, but I doubt that Indiana has initiated any type of state registry, especially for long guns.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

If I was ever in a domestic situation (which is very unlikely after 33 years) and the police had actual authority to confiscate my guns. (I'm not sure what IC would cover that) I would require a detailed receipt for each one. I would also demand receipts for each of my kitchen knives, hammers, bats, chain saw, and about two or three hundred other things around the house.

Therefore I would have a receipt to redeem each item.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I have not heard of this... and I've looked.
    I am currently (temporarily) in Michigan and I had to register my handguns - they don't care about long guns.
    Granted, I haven't looked in the last 8 or so months, but I doubt that Indiana has initiated any type of state registry, especially for long guns.

I haven't been able to find anything either. I just thought it was amusing that this thread popped up just a few days after a guy at work told me that story.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    If I was ever in a domestic situation (which is very unlikely after 33 years) and the police had actual authority to confiscate my guns. (I'm not sure what IC would cover that) I would require a detailed receipt for each one. I would also demand receipts for each of my kitchen knives, hammers, bats, chain saw, and about two or three hundred other things around the house.

Therefore I would have a receipt to redeem each item.

He told me he needed a sales receipt from when he bought them. Cuz I asked about that^^^^.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Super%20Troopers%20Shenanigans%2001.jpg

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I'm old and have bought a lot of stuff. If I kept receipts for everything that I have ever bought... I would need to rent a storage building to hold them. The drive-thru receipts alone would require a 10x10 building.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Virtually anything I might be carrying has been bought used. No receipts.
    Not necessarily following the OP's scenario, but any other reason LEO's might end up in possession of my firearm. What would one do to recover their gun's in this case? Produce photo's documenting possession/serial numbers? Assume it's gone and file an insurance claim?

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Many years ago a State Police officer relieved my son of one of my firearms for no apparent/legal reason and without a receipt. I called the State police post promising that if my gun was not in my hands within the hour my next call would be to the feds alleging theft and illegal transfer of a firearm.

I was called back about 40 minutes later by the officer who apologized very profusely and telling me that my gun was at the front desk and I could pick it up immediately, otherwise he could bring it to me at the end of his shift. I did pick it up with the serial number being the only requirement. Another apology was offered by the officer at the front desk.

For guys who my son said were JBTs, and who plainly illegally confiscated a citizens personal property, everybody was pretty rational and professional.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am surprised that some are taking this seriously, or their sarcasm is so subtle I can't detect it and I have a super sensitive sarcasometer.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am surprised that some are taking this seriously, or their sarcasm is so subtle I can't detect it and I have a super sensitive sarcasometer.

There was nothing sarcastic about my post. It has in fact been done in spite of there being no law allowing it to be done.

Top Bottom