• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Personally, I think I'd rather live in a place where the taking of a human life is reserved for the most dire, exigent circumstances and most evil, heinous acts and crimes. If we roll back that reservation to lesser crimes, we become some third world African, warlord society.

I think a reason so many feel this bloodlust is because they know that after they're the victims of one of these crimes, the bad guy, more often than not, gets away with it and the victim is left to recover, rebuild, and restore at his/her own time and expense.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    The point is criminals don't stop till they are forced to stop by a deity, the police or armed citizen. A non-violent b&e, in which they get away with it, this week can easily lead to more daring and violent crimes next week.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    The point is criminals don't stop till they are forced to stop by a deity, the police or armed citizen. A non-violent b&e, in which they get away with it, this week can easily lead to more daring and violent crimes next week.

So what is the solution then? Are we to assume that every small time criminal is destined to a violent future, and therefore render the maximum punishment?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Tell me how I acquired this mind-reading ability that tells me that in the midst of "assaulting" me, I know he is only interested in stuff.

The guy running away could be going to retrieve a weapon to come back and kill you with to eliminate a witness...... do you trust that criminal to leave you alone?

That not what this discussion is about. Were talking about someone running away after you "think" they may have broken into your garage. Your talking about a completely different scenario where the threat of serious bodily injury or death has occurred.

Apples to oranges.

Yeah, I know the original facts. The homeowner would NOT HAVE BEEN in that position had the criminal not put him there.
    The police that shoots a criminal in the line of duty would not have to be in a position to kill someone if the criminal didn't put them there.
    Criminal is guilty on all accounts, criminal should suffer all and any consequences of his/her actions.
    If I'm on the jury he walks.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    The guy running away could be going to retrieve a weapon to come back and kill you with to eliminate a witness...... do you trust that criminal to leave you alone?

Yeah, I know the original facts. The homeowner would NOT HAVE BEEN in that position had the criminal not put him there.
    The police that shoots a criminal in the line of duty would not have to be in a position to kill someone if the criminal didn't put them there.
    Criminal is guilty on all accounts, criminal should suffer all and any consequences of his/her actions.
    If I'm on the jury he walks.

What position is he putting the homeowner in? The guy is clearly running away. I fail to see any threat. Your just going to shoot him, because you "think" he might return with a gun? That's an extremely unlikely scenario. Making assumptions like that just to have a reason to shoot someone is a dangerous path.

Are you telling me as an officer that everytime I order somebody to stop and they run away, i can just go ahead and shoot at them. I'll just use the " I thought he was going to get a gun so he can kill all witnesses" defense. Or maybe he was going to arm a nuclear bomb. Or maybe************, he, like most criminals, was fleeing so he wouldnt get caught.

I must respectfully disagree

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Stay away from my chainsaw (always running), Tesla (always charging) and my blow up Miley Cyrus doll (always inflating).

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Ah yes, so cavalier about taking a life. I have good friends that have night terrors from such things even being 100% justified. I've seen lives ruined, families torn apart, careers over, and they did nothing wrong. What might interest you is that they all had similar attitudes that I am seeing here. Talk is easy until the rubber meets the road then pretend is over and reality kicks in. While I train for this and I like to think I will do what I need to do when needed and have been nano seconds away from pulling that trigger, I will never talk like taking a life is easy. Having witnessed self defense shootings firsthand, stuff isn't worth taking a life. LIFE is worth taking a life. And yes, I've been a victim of a burglary/theft as well. Much of what I have seen posted here is 100% an emotional response and not a logical one. We should refrain from making life altering decisions based on emotions...kinda like the gun grabbers do huh?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The guy running away could be going to retrieve a weapon to come back and kill you with to eliminate a witness...... do you trust that criminal to leave you alone?...

I'll cross the "what if" bridge when I get to it. I will not use deadly force because I think someone might, in the future, be a threat. If believe they are a threat RIGHT NOW, I'll act to stop the threat.

...and the law agrees with me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For what it's worth, there is a big difference between just stealing someone's stuff and violating their home in order to steal their stuff.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    From what I understand, the thief popped out of the garage while he was walking up to it and startled him. So there's the mindset. How ever, thief then fled, so bad shoot.

But you couldn't have paid me to vote for a conviction.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    "Judge Max Ludy said he found McLaughlin's firing of a gunshot in the direction of a neighbor's home especially reprehensible"

I wouldn't want this guy as my neighbor. Three shots fired, one hit the BG in the arm and the other two hit ______? Lucky an innocent wasn't hit.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Ah yes, so cavalier about taking a life. I have good friends that have night terrors from such things even being 100% justified. I've seen lives ruined, families torn apart, careers over, and they did nothing wrong. What might interest you is that they all had similar attitudes that I am seeing here. Talk is easy until the rubber meets the road then pretend is over and reality kicks in. While I train for this and I like to think I will do what I need to do when needed and have been nano seconds away from pulling that trigger, I will never talk like taking a life is easy. Having witnessed self defense shootings firsthand, stuff isn't worth taking a life. LIFE is worth taking a life. And yes, I've been a victim of a burglary/theft as well. Much of what I have seen posted here is 100% an emotional response and not a logical one. We should refrain from making life altering decisions based on emotions...kinda like the gun grabbers do huh?

Again, I'm impressed by Denny's post, and I urge everyone to read it again.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

Again, I'm impressed by Denny's post, and I urge everyone to read it again.

I second that bingley. Denny is right on target as usual. I'm repping the Brother right now.

McLaughlin said he prayed no one was hit by his gunshots and that he never wanted to hold a gun again.
    I am pretty sure he will get his wish..

Last edited:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    X number of "would be" thieves are not "actual" thieves because they are afraid they will encounter someone willing to shoot them over a wrench.

I am not saying what I think that I would do in this situation because I would rather keep the "would be" thieves guessing. I am rather fond of my wrenches though.

Top Bottom