• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Today I learned about the WWII era Indiana made FP-45 pistol that was dropped into occupied territories for use by insurgents. Very cheaply made, single shot 45ACP pistol that had a total of 1,000,000 units made. The Liberator project took about six months from conception to the end of production with about 11 weeks of actual manufacturing time, done by 300 workers in Anderson, Indiana.

300px-M1942_liberator.jpg
    220px-FP-45_Liberator.jpg

You can read more here: FP-45 Liberator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    A small side note to "Guide Lamp,Anderson"--------in the 80's they were building a addition to the factory--------as they were digging the foundation for the new building---they found several boxes that had been buried around WW11-------they called in the BATFE,the GUVMINT put up blinds around the entire area--------report was several "Grease Guns,and other restricted items "were found--the area was closed to "public eyes" for about 6 weeks..
    Guide Lamp,Anderson,In. is only a memory-----the area is now a large grass field...... John Dillinger was reported as saying he would "never attempt a "bank job"in Anderson"--he was afraid he would get caught in factory traffic,or by one of the many trains entering and leaving Anderson
    I've lived in Anderson since '65-----------saw the closing of MANY factories-------

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yup, nifty WW2 item made in Indiana , wonder if they were supplied with Evansville Chrysler made ammo?

It's said none were ever dropped for use as weapons . I saw Gary James shoot one on G&A TV, it was certainly not one's first choice for a sidearm!
    Repros are being made too***,
    FP-45 Liberator Pistol | Vintage Ordnance Company, LLC

They have had them at Knob Creek the past 3 times I went down there for the machine gun shoot. They definitely don't look like they'd be much fun to shoot! They were basically a belly gun.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    A small side note to "Guide Lamp,Anderson"--------in the 80's they were building a addition to the factory--------as they were digging the foundation for the new building---they found several boxes that had been buried around WW11-------they called in the BATFE,the GUVMINT put up blinds around the entire area--------report was several "Grease Guns,and other restricted items "were found--the area was closed to "public eyes" for about 6 weeks..
    Guide Lamp,Anderson,In. is only a memory-----the area is now a large grass field...... John Dillinger was reported as saying he would "never attempt a "bank job"in Anderson"--he was afraid he would get caught in factory traffic,or by one of the many trains entering and leaving Anderson
    I've lived in Anderson since '65-----------saw the closing of MANY factories-------

I am an Anderson native. My dad worked at Guide Lamp/Fisher Guide. It was sad to see the building demolished, but they are currently building on that land. Apparently, another company is building a facility that should bring much needed jobs to Anderson. It would be really cool to find a Liberator or Grease gun that was built at Guide Lamp. I would probably give it to my dad if I ever found one. Anderson receives a lot of :rolleyes: from surrounding communities, but Anderson has so much fascinating history and so much potential for the future.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Yup, nifty WW2 item made in Indiana , wonder if they were supplied with Evansville Chrysler made ammo?

It's said none were ever dropped for use as weapons . I saw Gary James shoot one on G&A TV, it was certainly not one's first choice for a sidearm!

Thanks for including that photo. I have a round identical to that and never knew it was made in Evansville. Very cool.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Another Govt. boondoggle - most of these got dumped into the Atlantic and were never used. By 1945 the War was almost over and the French resistance were quite capable of figuring out ways to kill Germans and steal THEIR guns without using a disposable .45.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Another Govt. boondoggle - most of these got dumped into the Atlantic and were never used. By 1945 the War was almost over and the French resistance were quite capable of figuring out ways to kill Germans and steal THEIR guns without using a disposable .45.

True indeed but WW2 was chock full of boondoggles, most far more costly than this. Ever hear of the B-32 Dominator bomber?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County

Your story is partly correct.

The "guvment" didn't take the guns, Anderson PD did.

In 2009 I bought all the M3A1's. These guns were never registered by APD before the amnesty nor during and were considered contraband by ATF that could either be form 10'd (waste of money as no department wants them) or destroyed.

They were all destroyed and I purchased them as parts kits and sold them. (Many here on INGO)

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...complete-wwii-m3a1-grease-gun-parts-kits.html

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

i have a box of the ammo, and i hear it'll still shoot, but every now and they you get a delayed bang!

i also have a cartridge, stamped ec 44(or ecc 44) that has no primer, and has two holes drilled thru the case, i was told that they were given to the employees of evansville chrysler as key chains after the war.

on a side note, i had a friend who's son was giving a presentation on evansville's impact on ww2, i told him about the inert bullet, and asked if his son wanted to take it to school, he asked the teacher and the teacher said no, that it was against evsc policy, that he would get expelled, even tho his dad (an vanderburgh count sheriff) carried a loaded gun into the school, his son was not allowed to bring an obviously inert round to class!

now my daughters boyfriend took it to usi for a presenation, and the teacher there thought it was pretty cool.

now if gary james was brave enough to shoot a real liberator(not the repro) he got big cahones, i hear that they came with 5 rounds, and that was all they were good for, the welds started coming apart, and the on round 5, they were pretty much in peices, they had no rifling, so no accuracy.

but all in all, pretty cool

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Your story is partly correct.

The "guvment" didn't take the guns, Anderson PD did.

In 2009 I bought all the M3A1's. These guns were never registered by APD before the amnesty nor during and were considered contraband by ATF that could either be form 10'd (waste of money as no department wants them) or destroyed.

They were all destroyed and I purchased them as parts kits and sold them. (Many here on INGO)

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...complete-wwii-m3a1-grease-gun-parts-kits.html

U R correct-----us old, retired, City of Anderson Employees get that story wrong every time we tell it.

U R correct----ooops wait I said that didnt I---------------------

just funnin'

tallend

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom