• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Friend is taking a trip this weekend to Florida with his g/f. He has a valid LTCH in Indiana and was asking me some questions. It looks like he is good to go until he hits Florida, but at that point he would no longer be valid.

So, during the trip, before reaching the state line, what is required by law as far as storing the firearm in the vehicle to remain in compliance?

And once you reach your destination, anything else that needs to be done with it other than I assume keep it in a similar fashion as it was brought into the state?

Hindsight, he should have aquired a Non-resident Florida licence but maybe next time. Which makes me think about getting mine!

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    I am from Florida and can tell you that if he doesnt have a ccw for Fl or any state that florida recognises he needs to have gun and ammo separate in locked containers in the trunk. Florida isnt very nice about carrying without a license. You will probably hear some stuff about three steps to the gun but im telling you from experience that every cops version of three steps is wayyyyy different.

cburnworth

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    The last time I checked Florida they honored our permit, but it had to be concealed & of course you had to follow the florida rules for concealed carry. They are also quite particular about concealed, meaning the barrel can't be sticking out of your shirt. Current Florida concealed carry.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    What's the problem for Fla. ???

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf
    ^^^

I see no problem for the Indiana LTCH being valid in Fla.

The only extra thing that Fla. requires is that the LTCH holder is a resident of the state that he has the License for. If your friend is a resident of the State of Indiana, is 21 years or older, and has a valid Indiana License to Carry Handgun, then he should be good to go in the State of Fla..

Readers PLEASE correct me if I am wrong--I have CC (Per Fla. law) more than several times in the State of Fla...Bill.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    We have been in Florida for 6 weeks and have carried every day that we have been here. Your friend should check on which states honor Indiana LTCH.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Florida reciprocates with IN as others have stated. It should not be a concern unless there is some additional info we do not have.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    I was under the inpression Indiana LTCH was NOT valid in Florida.....when I went to the recip maps florida always shows up red and says no recip.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Looks like I learned something new today....and some usefull info for when I go to florida later this year!

I guess the site I was on did not specify correctly, it looked only red and said NO to anything from Indiana basically.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Looks like I learned something new today....and some usefull info for when I go to florida later this year!

I guess the site I was on did not specify correctly, it looked only red and said NO to anything from Indiana basically.

You MAY?? print out the handgunusa link posted+carry it with you, if it makes you feel better on a trip to Fla.??..Bill.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Im going to Alabama in April to gulf shores with the wife and have already checked and we are good to go all the way there. Ky. Tenn, Ga, and AL. & even in Fl. if we choose to jump over there for a day..... ? But we will prob. just stay at our time share for the 10 days and soke up some sun , prob see some sites but just looking for some fun in the sun for a change..... ;) Can't wait !!!!!

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    There is a very good smart phone app that shows everything from what states honor your license to each specific states prohibited areas, duty to inform, etc. Cheap app and could really keep you out of trouble. They update it often too as the laws change to include more states that honor it or places that are no longer prohibited. Best $2 I ever spent for peace of mind.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ryan.ccw

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's wise to confirm findings on the various charts, lists, and internet forums & web sites by reading the actual laws of the state you intend to visit. Yes, it takes time. Yes, it may take a tiny effort to find their code and regulations online. Yes, it's worth it.

You also need to understand what "reciprocal agreement" means, especially in the context of the state. For instance, Indiana has no reciprocal agreement with Tennessee. The State of Tennessee lists all of their reciprocal agreements with states re: carry licenses and permits and Indiana is not on that list. A first conclusion is that the Indiana LtCH is not valid in Tennessee, but this is false. Reading more carefully, one will note that Tennessee honors other states' licenses and permits and the list of reciprocal agreements exists solely for those states that require them on their end. Indiana does not, and Indiana and Tennessee both honor each others carry credentials.

Read the law yourself carefully enough to understand it. Then, if you don't understand something, ask questions!

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    The CCW app I linked above not only summarizes the law, but gives you a copy of the law that supports the statement. Good point, telling an uninformed officer that you believe this is the law may not keep you out of jail until things are straitened out.

Top Bottom