• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    My younger brother is 19 and is going to be applying for his LTCH soon. My question is how does he buy a carry gun when his LTCH arrives. With federal law prohibiting him from buying his own gun till he turns 21, what is the legal way for him to obtain a pistol for carry? If my dad buys one for him is that a straw purchase? If I loan him one of mine how would that work. Got some conflicting info at a Porter county gun shop from 2 guys that work there. My 2012 Gun Laws By State book and my 2013 Traveler's guide to the firearms laws of the fifty states contained no info about this
    situation or even to the fact that Indiana allows people under 21 to carry. Any help or links for more information would appreciated. Thanks.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    He can't buy from an FFL, but he can legally do a private sale as long as he is not a Felon or some other prohibited person.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    He can't buy from an FFL, but he can legally do a private sale as long as he is not a Felon or some other prohibited person.

From what I have gathered in my time with INGO is that he could be GIFTED a handgun from a parent/guardian or purchase from an individual. Not a lawyer.

Pretty much that's it. He's already passed the 18+ test. The only remaining requirement is that both parties live in Indiana or else the transfer must go via FFL.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I'm in the same boat haha it's very simple, he buys from a private dealer or gets it as a gift from his parnets. My plan is to buy from a private dealer at a gun show. That's my advice to him as well. It's legal and respectable under state law. At least, that's how my very similar thread was answered. Don't worry, it's perfectly legal from a private individual. Try looking in armslist.com if there's a specific gun he's interested in. They're local and private dealers.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm in the same boat haha it's very simple, he buys from a private dealer or gets it as a gift from his parnets. My plan is to buy from a private dealer at a gun show. That's my advice to him as well. It's legal and respectable under state law. At least, that's how my very similar thread was answered. Don't worry, it's perfectly legal from a private individual. Try looking in armslist.com if there's a specific gun he's interested in. They're local and private dealers.

"Private seller".

There is a BIG legal difference between "dealer" and "seller" in this instance.
    A "Dealer" would have to have an FFL, and therefore the buyer would have to be over 21.

Top Bottom