• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    The story I've heard is that the smaller "mom and pop" liquor stores want Sunday closure so that they don't have to compete with the big chains and so that they can have a day with their families. I can appreciate that,

let them go out of business; thats market competition right there. the idea of controlling a section of commerce to 0.0000001% of the population can stay with their family on Sunday seems a wee bit ludicrous to me. :n00b:i'd rather the taxes come from sunday booze than my bank account.

maybe i just want everyone to be grumpy like me, since i have to work weekends and holidays and i dont even drink. :laugh:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Saw Senator Alting last night at a Friends dinner. I wished him well with the discussions.

Even though I cannot drink (medication), I believe it is long past time to abolish this rule.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Its change I can believe in! (just kidding! :D )

All in all: Its a good revenue resource for our state, a rule that is based in religiousness that has no bearing in a secular world (not trying to start anything, just how I feel on that subject). I think it could also allow for more events on Sundays and also allow for folks to enjoy their Sundays a bit more.

My only fear is that the loot recieved could be offset with a potential need for increased police presence on the roads (DUI) and a slight potential (notice the key words: POTENTIAL) for increased DUI related incidents. Other than that, who cares! As for "increased pricing due to a 6 day week for distributors", take a pill, enjoy more hours and keep it stocked! :D I work 7 days a week, I am not complaining, why? The hard work that distributors do to keep me "fed" :D.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I've wondered about the liquor laws in this state ever since moving here. In fairness to our State, I've wondered just as much about all of the states I've worked and done business in over the past 20 years or so.

I did actually ask a few friends in the package store business (not mom and pop stores) why the alcoholic beverage retailers seemed to oppose opening up Sunday as an option for sales. The answer I got from each of them was simple - "If your business could make the same amount of money each week being open six days vs. seven, wouldn't that be a no brainer?"

They said that, at least in their businesses, they did not want to compete with the Krogers of the world who would truly see Sunday sales as purely incremental revenue (the store is already open and fully staffed). The package store operators told me that they were certain they would get more revenue, but doubted seriously that it would make it worthwhile for them to add the infrastructure to capture the sales.

From a business standpoint, I definitely can't argue with them on this one. From a consumer standpoint, I too think it is ridiculous that I can drive to a bar to watch the game...have a few beers...and drive home, but can't just go grab a six pack at the store and do this in the comfort and safety of my own home.

From a monetary standpoint, I don't see a real benefit to the State by opening on Sundays. They will collect more tax revenue from grocery retailers (no question on this one), but less from bars in theory. The excise taxes collected will remain the same as they are not driven by the retail price, but more by quantity sold like with gasoline.

The sales tax collections, however, I maintain would be less on Sunday alcohol sales. The logic is that sales taxes are based on retail price and no one would question that retail prices for a 12-oz beer that was purchased at Kroger as part of a case is about 25-50% the retail price for that same beer in a bar. Less sales = less sales taxes = less appealing to the General Assembly.

The State will also take on a larger financial burden for excise policing, which should IMHO fall under the jurisdiction of the local and county LEOs anyway like it does is some other states.

Basically, there is a lot in play on this one and of the many motivations and guiding concerns, logic is not among them so please don't look for it. Is it ever?:dunno:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    From a monetary standpoint, I don't see a real benefit to the State by opening on Sundays. They will collect more tax revenue from grocery retailers (no question on this one), but less from bars in theory. The excise taxes collected will remain the same as they are not driven by the retail price, but more by quantity sold like with gasoline.

The sales tax collections, however, I maintain would be less on Sunday alcohol sales. The logic is that sales taxes are based on retail price and no one would question that retail prices for a 12-oz beer that was purchased at Kroger as part of a case is about 25-50% the retail price for that same beer in a bar. Less sales = less sales taxes = less appealing to the General Assembly.

The State will also take on a larger financial burden for excise policing, which should IMHO fall under the jurisdiction of the local and county LEOs anyway like it does is some other states.
    While I can see your argument about sales tax, the real argument is that people near the border will just drive to a neighboring state and buy from them, providing revenue to that state instead of IN.

I don't think excise policing will change, as the law currently allows for consumption of alcohol on Sunday in restaurants. By allowing carryout purchase on Sundays the need for excise police wouldn't change. Regarding Disposable Heart's comment about needing more police. There will likely be fewer people driving to the bars to drink and then driving home, so the argument could be made that less police would be needed.

All in all, I think its a toss-up, tax revenue likely won't change much, and police work won't change much; but the convenience to the consumer will increase. I agree that it is time to change this silly law.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    You'll get no arguement whatsoever from me on the neighboring states issue for people who live near a border. That is always an issue anytime there is a tax disparity between one area and another, whether it is different states or simply a county with higher sales tax than the next one over. People will definitely buy where they will spend less if given the option.

I'd also have to agree that people in those areas are probably crossing the borders now to buy in the neighboring states where Sunday sales are legal.

With regard to the excise issue, please be careful not to confuse the NEED for more with the IMPLEMENTATION of more. I agree that it would not be necessary, but things like this seldom follow logic. If they did, I know about 5,500 INGOers who would be MUCH happier!

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Why not? The state's revenues will increase once idiots can get poastered 7 days a week. I'm sure there's enough drunks in the legislature to promote this......

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    One must abuse alcohol to believe that government should not interfere in the marketplace?:dunno:

Didn't say that. I do mean that I believe there's enough "serious drinkers" in the legislatures nationwide, that "serious" drunk driving laws will probably never exist.... and they will seek to enable the purchase every day of the week. Smokes are harmful but do not consume the number of lives that drunk drivers do. I'd vote for a "license to drink", and tax the hell out of it.

Besides, government has BECOME the marketplace, and yes government does control it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    that "serious" drunk driving laws will probably never exist.

Not tracking. What do drunk driving laws have to do with carry out alcohol sales on Sunday? The two are mutually exclusive.

The bill permitting alcohol sales will not abolish or modify any drunk driving statutes.

that "serious" drunk driving laws will probably never exist....

I don't understand. You do realize that Indiana's drunk driving laws are become harsher with the passage of time?

How do you think Indiana's laws are not "serious"? How do you define "serious"?

Besides, government has BECOME the marketplace, and yes government does control it.

While Indiana governments do purchase alcohol, it is not the marketplace. Governmental regulation does not transform the government into the market, you and me.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    How do you think Indiana's laws are not "serious"? How do you define "serious"?
    Not really trying to argue with you, but just to point out the fact that the drunk driving laws in the US in general are very lax. In HS we had an exchange student from Polland, he was 17 at the time. The thing he missed most? Drinking ... In Poland you can legally drink at 16, but not drive until 18. I posed the question about problems with drunk driver etc. He said its not a problem because their laws regarding drunk driving are very strict. You get caught driving drunk, you lose your license for life. You get caught driving drunk without a license (ie 2nd offense), you go to prison.

I think its rather simple. When you consider it, there are 2 main groups of DUI, those that get caught and learn their lesson, and those repeat offenders that just don't ever get it. For those that get caught and "learn their lesson" at least they're still out and free. For those that don't learn, the 2nd time they get caught they've demonstrated that they don't learn, and they get locked up where they're no longer a danger to the public.

That is what I would consider to be serious drunk driving laws.

:twocents:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Trust me you do not want this to pass on Sunday sales.
    I promise you prices WILL GO UP do to distributors having to go to a 6 day work week and liquor stores having to have added payroll cost.

So if your little economic model scales properly, then if we only sell beer two days a week, the price WILL GO DOWN due to distributors having to go to a 2 day work week and liquor stores having to have reduced payroll cost.

And as we approach the model of only selling from 8-8:02 (2 minutes per week), beer if free?

What's in the water in Plainfield that causes this?

gruemeyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    The increase of Sunday revenue would greatly exceed any payroll experse for the retail sstores. The Distributors still only del 5 days a week.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom