• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    A state legislative study committee is preparing to delve into the issue of whether Indiana's ban on Sunday alcohol sales should be lifted.

State Sen. Ron Alting says the Interim Study Committee on Alcoholic Beverages will meet Wednesday at the Statehouse to discuss both the Sunday ban on alcohol sales and the state's ban on Election Day alcohol sales.

The Lafayette Republican says the bipartisan panel will begin taking public testimony on the issues during its Sept. 15 meeting.

The panel will report its findings to fellow lawmakers in January, when the General Assembly reconvenes.

:patriot:

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Trust me you do not want this to pass on Sunday sales.
    I promise you prices WILL GO UP do to distributors having to go to a 6 day work week and liquor stores having to have added payroll cost.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    prices go up? that explains why beer is cheaper in my native ohio where beer can be bought cold at every gas station 7 days a week (at least it was when i was actually drinking it.)

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Hmm seems to work in Louisville just fine.
    Prices are cheaper then here as well.

I think the beer/liqour and car sales people are lazy and want an extra day off. :popcorn:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    frankly i have never understood why i can get plastered at a restaurant while watching football, but if i want to do it at my house so i dont have to drive, i have to buy booze the day before.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    frankly i have never understood why i can get plastered at a restaurant while watching football, but if i want to do it at my house so i dont have to drive, i have to buy booze the day before.

I'm pretty sure anyone who enjoys a few cold ones while watching football on Sunday has wondered thing same thing once or twice.:cool:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    well i was hoping that since i am not a hoosier by birth, that some one here could explain this imbecilic law? is there any reason behind it? logical or otherwise?

or does this go with the "pi=3" thing?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    We had the same restriction in Palmetto, Florida when I lived there....it was stupid there, and its stupid here. Give me one good reason why you shouldn't be able to buy beer on Sunday. Package beer, anyhow...it seems you can still drink if you want to go to a bar, so whats the problem?

This should be struck down. It serves no purpose, except to interfere in lawful commerce. And on what grounds?

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    And on the seventh day He rested. No Sunday alcohol sales. Church + state = not constitutional in the first place. I'm 100% for Sunday alcohol sales for that reason alone.

Last edited:

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    no logic behind it, just antiquated law never changed. The people who oppose it are actually the small liquor stores. Wally World and the grocery stores are already open and paying their help, will only add to their sales, the mom and pop packaged liquor store has only Sundays, a couple holidays and election day off, why in the world would they want to work an extra day? I don't have a dog in this fight, except for maybe siding with the small business owner....(I live a couple minutes from Michigan...they have Sunday sales)

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    businesses can still be closed on sundays if they wish. thats the great thing about being a business owner.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yep. This started off as a "blue law", named for the paper on which they were written. I don't know if Indiana had others, but where I grew up in TX, the law was that you could buy food but not a frying pan and nails but not a hammer for the same reason. I know they struck down the blue laws re: work on Sunday, but I don't know if they got rid of the one about Sunday package alcohol sales.

It seems to me that if the law preventing it is lifted, that does not mean that the individual retailer has to agree to sell those things that day. Granted, if they are already open, it makes sense to do so, but nothing requires it. The story I've heard is that the smaller "mom and pop" liquor stores want Sunday closure so that they don't have to compete with the big chains and so that they can have a day with their families. I can appreciate that, but I think that if they make enough in sales with the extra day, they might (might) be able to afford to hire someone else to man the shop that day.
    Note that I did not say I believed nor disbelieved that about the mom and pop stores, just that it's what I'd heard.

ETA: Seems the last two posts before mine, which posted while I was writing it, concur.

Blessings,
    Bill

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i hope this goes through. im so tired of driving to MI and buying booze and paying their outrageous prices...i mean uh...tired of stocking up on saturdays....

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    You think the no alcohol on Sunday rule is bad here, check out the PA liquor rules where I grew up!

You can pick up a 6 or 12 pack at a bar, but if you want more then you have to go to a licensed beer Distributer. Hard liquor can only be purchased at a State Liquor store.

No beer and liquor aisles at your local grocery/drug stores. No liquor stores to pick up both beer and whiskey.

Here's hoping that someday Indiana finally changes the rules...but there are too many bible thumpers of the ammoral majority out there that get these laws shot down.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom