• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    Does anyone know the labor law about break times during an 8hr shift. Reason I ask is that I have certain individuals that spend too much time on the toilet. I run a production shop and no one is producing if they are on the can. Shift starts at 7:00, 30min at 11:30 for lunch, shift ends at 3:30. We are extremely busy and I need to get the most out of everyone during the 8 hours. The way things are going/heading, I need to maximize my labor costs. I get the feeling that some come in and just go through the motions and don't put forth any extra effort.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    30 minutes is required, it does not have to be paid time. We were an interstate business, so we had somewhat different laws that were applied to us than if we would have just operated inside the state.

We used to have 9 hour shifts. 8 of those hours were paid. 1 of those hours was a lunch break. Folks on our night shift requested 2 breaks (mostly for coffee) so we split the 1 1-hour break into 2-30 minute breaks and they were much happier.

Be careful not to get into the 15 minute break trap. Those are considered PAID breaks. So if you run a 9 hour day with 1 30 minute break and 2 15 minute breaks and assume that is 8 hours paid and 1 hour unpaid you will be wrong (according to the NLRB . . . don't ask me how I found that out!).

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Make them clock out every time they stop working, except for lunch. Explain that you need to run the shop more efficiently or reduce employees.

That should take care of it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    I'm basically wanting them to do their talking, gabbing, and crapping on their time...not mine. A quick run to the crapper turns into 10min when you figure in the time it takes to talk to everyone on the way. You do that several times a day and the time lost racks up.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    I don't work for you and this doesn't answer your question. But please, please, please don't make new blanket rules to account for a couple of A-holes. I hate that. I have a list 3 pages long of new rules made because the upper ranks didn't want to deal with the problem individuals.:twocents:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Hire me. I work, I work well, I work hard, and you will never have to ride me to get out of the can or get to work. Train me, point me at a job, and your work will be done.

References available :)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I don't work for you and this doesn't answer your question. But please, please, please don't make new blanket rules to account for a couple of A-holes. I hate that. I have a list 3 pages long of new rules made because the upper ranks didn't want to deal with the problem individuals.:twocents:

the problem is, an employer has to set rules for everyone or else risk being accused of discrimination...

If one guy continues to leave the work area, you have to tell everyone that such behavior is not allowed..

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    the problem is, an employer has to set rules for everyone or else risk being accused of discrimination...

If one guy continues to leave the work area, you have to tell everyone that such behavior is not allowed..

Bingo. or you will get "well he doesn't have to to this or he doesn't have to do that". I have to set it straight across the board. The only ones who will pitch a fit are the ones screwing around because they can no longer screw around and have to do their jobs. My #1 goal is to keep the customer happy. I have to ship in a timely manner which means I have to get the product out the door. No isn't a good time to loose customers.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    lay the hammer down! Im an easy enough guy to get along with but if my crew is slacking off or there is time unaccounted for they dont get the brunt of it....I do.

I was having this problem where certain folks where taking very long bathroom breaks and also trying to squeeze extra time from there allowed breaks{at the time we gave 2 10min breaks and a hour lunch} I got sick of all the loss time and having my ass lit up for "allowing it":rolleyes: I dropped there lunch to 30min and one 10min break that is given 2hrs before shift end. I also let them know why I did this and pulled a few of the better workers aside to let them know I was sorry that a few slackers ruined it,which really worked out since the folks who really do come in to work ride the slackers ass's and production went up. worked out for me as I dont have to baby sit near as much as I use to. by law we have to give atleast a 30min lunch can be paid or not,we clock out for our lunch now which also helped as no one is still standing around 5min after the buzzer getting paid to do nothing.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Geeze, how often do they have to crap? Not to make it personal or over the top, but I only use the toilet for that reason every 1 or 2 days and it certainly doesn't ever take 10 minutes. Lay down the rules. They get 1 bathroom break per day anything more than that and they have to clock out for it.

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Deepest, darkest, Indiana
    My thoughts are:

- What type of product do you manufacture
    - How long does it take to train a new employee to fill a position
    - If it's boring, repetitive work, intelligent people will tend to need to get away from it more often
    - If the above applies rotating / cross-training jobs may help
    - Have a company (employees-mgmt.) meeting with some basic time lost to to "goof off" figures and explain your companies responsibilities to your customers
    - Lay down the law. DO THE LAYING PERSONALLY TO TO ALL IN PERSON.
    - Establish rules for dismissal
    - Once rules are established, call in offenders, warn them, and proceed on an individual documented basis toward ultimate dismissal if necessary

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have irritable bowl syndrome and feel guilty that I have to run off sometimes but I only take the time necessary. I'm not in production any more so that helps. Yes, it is irritating having your balls busted do to the few slackers.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne

I think the lawsuit crap has gone to far in scaring folks. What some people need is a good ole' fashioned talking too. It goes like this "You will perform or I will find an employee that will" and since Indiana is a right to work state.. not much explaining to do unless your obviously a bigot or some such.

Edit: Another thought, can you make the slackers do crappy work for punishment (clean, lube equip, whatever)? When I was a younger punk then I am now, it was done to me and it was effective.

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    Documentation.

1) You should have a policey on breaks, maybe it is different by department but you really do need something in writing that the employees have had communicated to them.

2) It is up to the supervisor to hold everyone to policey and good work practices. If people are taking excessive breaks, I don't jump employees for taking too long of a break, I jump their boss for not running their department.

3) Supervisors need to document infractions and discuss it with the employee. If the employee keeps it up, fire them. There is a surplus of labor and I don't have time to deal with someone is isn't willing to work.

It doesn't matter if a shop is union or not, it is 100% the responsibility of management and supervisors to maintain control and uphold standards. If they can't, make them fresh air inspectors.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom