• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HOLY LAND

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Greenwood
    I have created this petition to change gun cartridge change for hunting in Indiana.
    Please take some time and look into my petition and help me spread it around!

Petition Indiana Hunting Rifle Cartridge Change

I am a hunter and have been hunting for years here in Indiana, like most people I started hunting with my father. I love hunting because it's a way for me to get away from city life and relax. Recently, it has become an option for hunters in Indiana to use rifles, but the problem is rifles cartridges that we are allowed to use are very uncommon rounds for rifles. These cartridges are really pistol rounds and hunters could converted a normal rifle to a 358 Hoosier round. Hunters do not have enough options for hunting with common hunting rifle rounds. Many hunters need to have a custom gun made to use the cartridge that is allowed by the state of Indiana. It would be nice if we could bring out our grand fathers 1903 Springfield 30-06 and just go hunting or even use a brand new one off the shelf.

The rules for what we are able to use are both confusing and hard to
    understand. It sounds as though we have a lot of choices in rifle cartridges but in reality we do not. I do not want to drive all the way to Kentucky in order to hunt with a 30-06, .308, or even a 7.62x54r. The states allowing rifle hunting are North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Michigan.

I would like to expand the hunting laws to allow rifles that are more common calibers for rifle hunting: .44 Mag, 30-30, .223, .243, 300 AAC BLK, 300 Whisper, 7mm-08, .308, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, and 30-06. If you agree with what I request, please sign my petition. This petition will then be directed to Governor: Mike Pence, DNR Director: Cameron F. Clark, and Legislative Director: Chris Smith so we can make this change for the next hunting season 2013-2014.

In to comparison Indiana's Max Case length is 1.8 inches:

*.308 is 2.015" or 0.215" above current max
    *7.62x54r is 2.115" or 0.315" above current max
    .30-06 is 2.494" or 0.694" above current max

These are the rules that the state of Indiana allows:

*Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger;

*have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches

*and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antler less seasons.

Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf.

Last edited:

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    The rounds that are legal are "uncommon"? The rules are "hard to understand"? What is so uncommon about a .357 or a .44 Mag? You're wishes are admirable, but not practical at this point in time. If you want to use rounds that are used in other states, look for a property that has depredation tags and hunt away.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also, the lengths on your petition are incorrect.

The .308 Win has a case length of 2.015" or .215" above current max
    .30-06 is 2.494" or .694" above current max
    7.62x54r is 2.115" or .315" above current max

Indiana's restrictions on cartridges are based on case length (and projectile diameter), not the cartridge over-all length (COAL)...which I think is what you were intimating with your measurements.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    There is zero reason why Indiana could not allow modern centerfire rifles for hunting whitetail like its southern neighbor.

ZERO.

But hey, we can't make this deer hunting thing too easy or inclusive for new participants...wouldn't want just anybody having the chance to shoot deer that rightfully belong to the "I'm more dedicated than you" bowhunting blowhards.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im no expert, but I think the choice of new "rifle rounds" are obscure because these new calibers are based on pistol rounds (or at least have similar ballistics). Those obscure rounds like the .458 socom, etc dont fly as far as a 308, etc.

The reasoning for the limits as I recall are that unlike other states with miles and miles of uninhabited rolling countryside, Indiana is relatively flat/densely populated (compared to states like WV) with a higher number of residential areas abutting hunting lands.

While rifle may be acceptable deep in Yellowwood, its not as safe in a 20 acre stand of trees near a neighborhood. I THINK thats the logic. I cant imagine trying to write a law granular enough to allow high powered rifle in some places but not others.

But I do agree with your argument that choosing those new fangled rounds sucks, resulting in few that can hunt with them. I started looking at a 458 upper, then decided "screw it" and set my sights on a non-SBR 308 hunting rifle. It was actually cheaper to buy a whole hunting rifle. (I wasnt looking for a rifle to use in IN)

And I could be way off base...

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Poorly written and a bunch of incorrect info. You are going to have to do a lot better wording/research and have a better understanding of the issue.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    While I can see why you would want something like this, I think Cameramonkey laid out the exact reasons it will NOT work in Indiana. Also, I agree with 1911ly, your petition is fully of incorrect info, poor spelling, and grammatical errors. Fix it and someone MIGHT take you seriously.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The reasoning for the limits as I recall are that unlike other states with miles and miles of uninhabited rolling countryside, Indiana is relatively flat/densely populated (compared to states like WV) with a higher number of residential areas abutting hunting lands.

Ok, we have been over this before but:

1. The slugs only rule was to handicap deer hunters.

2. The prohibition on centerfire rifles for deer(note that it is only for deer, not coyote or squirrel up in a tree) has absolutely nothing to do with topography.

3. Studies have discounted the misguided nothing that slugs are somehow "safer". We have linked the Pennsylvania study on INGO before.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia

1. The slugs only rule was to handicap deer hunters.

2. The prohibition on centerfire rifles for deer(note that it is only for deer, not coyote or squirrel up in a tree) has absolutely nothing to do with topography.

3. Studies have discounted the misguided nothing that slugs are somehow "safer". We have linked the Pennsylvania study on INGO before.

:yesway: Hunt and Let Hunt.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I just had a rifle re barrelled for the 358 Hoosier. It turned out great. I think that the 358 Hoosier is more efficient case than the 358 Winchester. You can get the same FPS out of the Hoosier as you can the 358 Winchester. The case change to make the 358 Hoosier is to remove 1/10" out of the neck and 1/10" out of the body of the 358 Winchester.

Should we have to do stuff like this to use a rifle on Deer? My thought is no. We already have the 358 Winchester. They could have just listed the calibers they wanted us to be limited to. Such as the 358 Winchester or the 45-70 and so on.

If you want to use a hand gun you can use a 15" barrel with a 6mm bullet. Harder to use but the Deer is just as dead after you learn to shoot it.

It is my understanding that the powers that be don't want a bunch of guys setting up on the edge of a corn field or been field with high powered rifles and devastating a Deer heard that has taken over twenty years to build. By setting up laws that limit 358 as the smallest caliber and 1.8" as the case length you are limiting the distance you can shoot to around 300 yards. Most high powered rifles can be shot out to 1000 yards and take men or game at that range. Though not to many people want to take the time to learn to do it.

We want to use standard rifle calibers and the bow hunters don't want us in their woods with rifles at all. We are both lobbying for what we want. So far we have been able to get some of what we want and the bow hunters have been able to limit our use of calibers.

It don't matter what we think should be, we have to live with what is. The laws have been changed over time as the deer heard grows. I think some time in the future they will make it legal to use just about any high powered rifle.

Kentucky has used high powered rifles for years and still have a Deer heard and they don't kill any more hunters than we do. Then they do have a lot of hills to catch a stray bullet.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I would say that was more oversight than legislative forethought. Knowing how they write crap laws, it doesnt surprise me that things were done arbitrarily and sloppy.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Kirk,

While it may be legal to use a .308 Win (or similar) on squirrels, shooting at upward angles toward arboreal rats would probably open up a lot of other legal issues.
    And yote hunters are probably lesser in number than deer hunters, and yote hunters probably use varmint bullets, which are frangible.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Kirk,

While it may be legal to use a .308 Win (or similar) on squirrels, shooting at upward angles toward arboreal rats would probably open up a lot of other legal issues.
    And yote hunters are probably lesser in number than deer hunters, and yote hunters probably use varmint bullets, which are frangible.

You are absolutely right, Hook. However, I am pointing out the silliness of the regulation. Long past time to eliminate the centerfire rifle prohibition for Indiana. There is no rational basis for it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't get all the love for the .30-30
    Maybe there's a lot of nostalgia in that round, or folks who grew up watching westerns just want to run a lever action.
    Easy if you want more oomph than .357 or .44...................just get a Marlin .336 in .35 Rem and trim cases.

If I wanted a .35 and was going to buy a new, well I'd get a Remington 760....not real old, but one with no barrel band.
    That too a classic deer rifle.

HOLY LAND

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Greenwood
    Hello everyone. I appreciate your input on the subject. I want to fix and improve this so that it would be better for hunters in Indiana, so could you help me improve the petition for what you gentleman want for hunting season.

If we want to change the hunting laws to include rifles we desire we need to stand together and try to do our best as hunters and outdoorsmen to let our political figures know we want this we need to share and promote this petition together. When our voice is united and loud enough they will see that change is needed to allow hunters to have more options for hunting season.

Thank you
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Top Bottom