Indiana House Bill 1308 Increases the maximum speed limit, from 70 to 75 miles per hour

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    A Ford Thunderbirds computer stops it from accelerating at 127,but it can maintain that speed.
    I have no idea how one could acquire that knowledge though.
    Weak sauce. But it was common on a lot of older cars; they'd shut off at some speed far below their maximum attainable one. Thankfully my car has no such mechanism.

And absolutely raise the limit to 75. All speed limits are set far lower than the speed which can be safely maintained on the roads they govern. In heavy rain or snow, it's another matter, but in good weather you can safely go well over 100 on any interstate with any modern car in light traffic.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Weak sauce. But it was common on a lot of older cars; they'd shut off at some speed far below their maximum attainable one. Thankfully my car has no such mechanism.

And absolutely raise the limit to 75. All speed limits are set far lower than the speed which can be safely maintained on the roads they govern. In heavy rain or snow, it's another matter, but in good weather you can safely go well over 100 on any interstate with any modern car in light traffic.
    I call complete BS on this one. Not the spirit of your post, but the reality.
    30 yrs driving a semi on highways that are deteriorated like downtown Beirut, has shown me that most drivers under 40 years of age cannot understand that their car doesn't drive itself, nor understand that there are repercussions for their actions, but since they only appear in their rearview mirrors, they somehow are not culpable. They cannot fathom vehicle maintenance, such as alignments, tire inflation, load distribution, or cargo securement. They drive white, light blue,silver, grey, or charcoal colored vehicles, which literally disappear in the tire mist behind a semi, they are COMPLETELY INVISIBLE in our mirrors, yet they refuse to turn on any lights as they suddenly appear out of the mist and blow by at 90.
    I've witnessed phone use, texting, computer use, book and newspaper reading, lane jacking, makeup application, nail drying, eating, smoking and drinking simultaneously... all while in the drivers seat at triple digit speeds. Their irresponsibility has nearly killed me more times than I've had birthdays. And running nose to tail at 80 or 90 in the left lane is not "sharing the road".
    To your point, yes, a good driver, who is experienced, and is only driving, can negotiate a modern interstate, at speed, without incident. Throw in any of the above listed behaviors and all bets are off.
    Don't even mention weather....they're either speeding into icing conditions, or they are petrified of a couple raindrops.
    Other semi drivers are guilty of their own share of despicable driving habits....I'll give you just one.
    Hit a highway construction zone, signs say Reduced Speed 55 mph and All Trucks Use Left Lane. So we slow down, and get in left lane as jersey barriers hem us in on the left and right, and the pavement becomes more uneven. And what do i behold? A conga line of crappy looking rigs, usually Amazon contractors, blasting up the right lane at 70+, with cars in tow, flipping us off. Get a grip, Cletus, your crap isn't any more important than anyone else's. And thanks for drifting into my lane when you're only halfway past me. Some days the disregard is simply stunning.
    Tell you what...build cars that shield out all device use above 65mph, and allow 'em to run 95, but mandate that the state staff all construction zones with enough officers to gig EVERY vehicle speeding thru, especially the trucks (that's a $300~800 dollar ticket). You could fund the state budget and have a surplus.
    Rant over.... we now return to our regularly scheduled prigramming.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Well me ether, but it gives the dang highway patrol less margin/incentive to bother you.

It also bumps up the speeds point violation chart. Which would mean you would have to be doing over 90mph to get in the higher one. Which most people don't do.

View attachment 326508
    There are already a ton of idiots on the road who can't drive safely at 65. Why would you give them the option to go faster. 70 is a fine limit. Start writing real tickets at 80 and reckless driving starts at 85. Arrest people over 90 Bad **** happens faster than almost anyone can recover from at 70. Especially to young drivers with no experience. The time you save speeding doesn't make enough difference if you die or kill someone to make it worth the risk.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    There are already a ton of idiots on the road who can't drive safely at 65. Why would you give them the option to go faster. 70 is a fine limit. Start writing real tickets at 80 and reckless driving starts at 85. Arrest people over 90 Bad **** happens faster than almost anyone can recover from at 70. Especially to young drivers with no experience. The time you save speeding doesn't make enough difference if you die or kill someone to make it worth the risk.
    I would expect a ticket at those speeds. I see weaving and tailgaters as a bigger threat. And left lane huggers.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Most accidents accur at speeds below 40 mph. Maybe lower speed limit to 30 everywhere?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Most accidents accur at speeds below 40 mph. Maybe lower speed limit to 30 everywhere?
    And they also happen more often during cool, dry, daylight weather. Both of those rare things happen only because more folks drive around town where the speed limits are under 40 and during cool dry daylight times.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Everyone complains about gas prices and speeds anyways using up more gas. Increase speed..use more gas..that makes sense. I tend to be in gas saver mode. Do the speed limit or a mile or so under with cruise control and get up to 43mpg instead of 33 in the kona awd.

GourdOnTheDoor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2022
    Noblesville
    You may need a better vehicle, mine drive great at those speeds. It helps if one has a vehicle built for the autobahn…
    I believe they were pointing out the fact that at 95+ speeds you are flying by the seat of your pants. There is not sufficient time to react to an animal jumping out in front of you or a vehicle losing control in front of you. Every reaction is a split second reaction at that point. Maybe, and hear me out on this one, it would make more sense to leave at the proper time to drive responsibly and trust your own driving skills instead of playing chance with everyone else's and whether or not something is in your path of destruction.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I believe they were pointing out the fact that at 95+ speeds you are flying by the seat of your pants. There is not sufficient time to react to an animal jumping out in front of you or a vehicle losing control in front of you. Every reaction is a split second reaction at that point. Maybe, and hear me out on this one, it would make more sense to leave at the proper time to drive responsibly and trust your own driving skills instead of playing chance with everyone else's and whether or not something is in your path of destruction.
    1000002404.gif

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would expect a ticket at those speeds. I see weaving and tailgaters as a bigger threat. And left lane huggers.
    YES! 75 on 465 in the middle off the afternoon in light traffic is nothing. What causes problems are idiots that try to run those same speeds (and higher) during rush hour. And to maintain speed they start in the left lane and will quickly zip 4 lanes or more over to the right lane to find a hole to continue at speed. THAT is what causes the accidents, not the raw speed.

Top Bottom