Indiana Gun Permit - Do you have to holster?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamie12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Pendleton
    A friend was pulled over for speeding and told by a State Police Officer in Delaware that he had a pistol in the car. The officer asked to see it and my friend pulled in out of his pocket. The officer then wrote him a ticket for not having the gun in a holster. The officer gave him his gun back but he has to pay a fine or go to court. I am not familiar with this so any input would be appreciated. :dunno:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I don't believe so. That is interesting. Was the ticket for the original reason he was pulled over or for not having the gun in a holster? I can see a police officer saying "you're getting that speeding ticket because you have a gun in your pocket without a holster"

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    I looked this up. If your friend did not have a recognized license, then the handgun should be unloaded, in a case and stowed in the trunk or rear storage area. I find nothing that says specifically that a handgun needs to be in a holster.

adws943

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    I may misunderstand. Indiana LTCH stopped in Delaware? He needs to comply with Delaware law.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I am a little confused, bear with me.

So this is the situation?

Your friend gets pulled over for speeding in IN, has a LTCH, gets a ticket for speeding and the officer tells him the gun needs to be in a holster.

Is that correct? You are not saying the officer wrote him a ticket for not having the gun in a holster, correct?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I will wait for the mainstream media to uncover the truth of these early conflicting reports.

The truth is out there. ;)

jamie12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Pendleton
    I am a little confused, bear with me.

So this is the situation?

Your friend gets pulled over for speeding in IN, has a LTCH, gets a ticket for speeding and the officer tells him the gun needs to be in a holster.

Is that correct? You are not saying the officer wrote him a ticket for not having the gun in a holster, correct?

Yes, friend get pulled over for speeding in IN and gets a speeding ticket.

Yes, friend has a LTCH and gets aditional ticket for not having the gun holstered.

Top Bottom