• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bandsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Pike County
    A video I recently viewed made a few statements about Indiana gun laws in 1975. Can anyone tell me if these statements would have been true then?

1. The speaker stated that it was illegal at that time to have a loaded firearm in the passenger compartment of a vehicle. I am not sure what license he might have possessed.

2. He stated he was taken before a justice of the peace and fined $25.

3. He also stated at that time that the process to recover a firearm seized under those conditions was very difficult and time consuming, to discourage the owner from recovering his firearm.

4. He said he later learned that according to law, if he did not take the steps to recover his firearm, it would eventually become the personal property of the arresting officer, and that some officers seized weapons to add to their personal collections.

i wasn't much involved with handguns 40 years ago, and so don't know much about the laws of the time. I just wondered if his story was plausible for that time period. Anyone know?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. Did he have a Target & Hunting license only?

2. Fined $25 for . . . whistling in a park? Harvest quail eggs without a permit? Concealed carry of a pistol? What?

3. How would any be any harder? Motion for Replevin, get order, get pistol.

4. Personal property of the poooo-leece? Maybe the cop buys it at auction maybe?

Can we see the video?

Bandsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Pike County
    Kirk, I don't know what license he had. I believe he said he was returning from college in Virginia at the time. I took him to mean that possessing a loaded firearm in a vehicle was prohibited, license or not. He said he had a breakdown on his way home with his wife and child. He removed his firearm from the trunk, loaded it, and laid it on his seat while he worked on the car. Officer came along, saw the loaded weapon on the seat, and arrested him for possessing it. That was what he was fined for.

No mention of buying it at auction, just that it would eventually become the property of the officer.

This was part of a lengthy video by a very conservative preacher whose name I don't recall. I am just kind of fact checking this part of his story for truthfulness. Edit: I watched the video at someone else's home, so don't have a link to it or anything.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What was the first year for the Indiana LTCH?

The current statutes say "As added by P.L.311-1983," and then amended over the years.

MPD742

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2014
    Grant County
    I was a cop in 1975 and my memory is a little fuzzy but I think there were 3 types of carry permits: in the vehicle transport, open carry and concealed carry. Regarding the officer getting to keep the suspects gun, I could see that happening with some departments back then but it's corruption.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Kirk, I don't know what license he had. I believe he said he was returning from college in Virginia at the time. I took him to mean that possessing a loaded firearm in a vehicle was prohibited, license or not. He said he had a breakdown on his way home with his wife and child. He removed his firearm from the trunk, loaded it, and laid it on his seat while he worked on the car. Officer came along, saw the loaded weapon on the seat, and arrested him for possessing it. That was what he was fined for.

Firearm? Indiana's statute only applies to handguns.

Sounds like he did not have a LTCH, or perhaps only a Hunting & Target license and was fined for that.

$25 fine? Sounds like an old Justice of the Peace court pre-recodification in '77.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I think I had my first hunting and target permit around the age of 19 in the late 70's. I remember having to go meet with the Chief of Police in person (he was actually a fairly nice guy) and have him talk about safety and responsibility before he would approve it. I do remember that you were not suppose to load the weapon until you were out of the car and in the field. I use to carry my Ruger Single Six while rabbit hunting with a shotgun. I did shoot more than a couple bunnies that I saw sitting.

I received my first LTCH in the early 80's. Back then a letter with justification was required to be submitted with your package through the local police department.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I had a personal protection permit in the 70's, either that or a hunting/target was offered. They were good for four years and cost $40. You had fill out the application, write a letter saying something to the fact that you kept early and late hours and carried large sums of cash, therefore felt the need for extra protection, get a couple of money orders, and get finger printed. You had to do all this every four years.

Dave

Top Bottom