• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Has anyone heard how the flooding will affect our crop production?

I'm sure its a dark projection, and I feel for our farmers whose livelyhood has been potentially wiped out.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    That's what I've been wondering. I've seen the same problems (on a smaller scale) in Illinois. I've seen a lot of fields either not planted or washed out and I'm thinking it will be rough times ahead for farmers and consumers.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I was reading earlier today on msnbc.com that some farmers had already replanted crops twice this year, and that this week, corn jumped to $7 a bushel. This time last year, it was only $4.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've also read that the farmers that get through this will do very well financially. Record high crop prices.

Farming and government subsidies are another subject altogether.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Well we have our corn in the ground, but not all the fields nearby are planted. There is a lot of water up here, the fields planted are growing but the unplanted fields are too wet to get into with a tractor. If they don't dry out soon then short season corn will have to be planted or possibly soybeans will fill the corn fields. I'm in the NW corner of the state, Lake County. We had some storm damage to our fields that were planted, excessive rains washed out some small areas, but its not too bad.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I've also read that the farmers that get through this will do very well financially. Record high crop prices.

Which means farmers will profit, while I pay a good portion of their salaries.

Isn't Wealth Redistribution a wonderful thing.:xmad:

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    If we are discussing family farms then I am all for helping them out if they need it. I don't view this particular situation as wealth redistribution simply because they provide something that is needed and most family farmers are not wealthy. With the cost of equipment, fuel, and the hours that are used in preparing, planting and harvesting most of us wouldn't want their income. Now, the whole corporate farm issue hits me differently.

Most of our family farms can't afford to plant two or three times and it is getting late in the season to get crops in the ground. We will more than likely end up paying more for food due to the flooding here, the drought in the southeast and fuel costs. Just one more step to help us down the road to ruin.

My experience with farming on a money making scale (and I use that term lightly) was a family dairy operation which was finally run into the ground by commercial farms, low price to the farmer for the raw milk while prices on everything else tended to climb.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    That is quite possible. Remember that I am just a poor old country woman in the hills of southern Indiana!!! We all have different takes depending on our life experience and I would never assume that mine is the correct view...of course, most of the time it is;)

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The farm lobby is very strong. I guess it probably represents corporate farming interests, but the fact is there is a lot of farming taking place in areas that flood frequently. What do you see fairly regularly along rivers (that flood)? Farmland.

Also, it is a supply and demand issue. We have the capability to produce more than we can eat or sell, so the govt. steps in.

Of course we all want to support the "family farm". It is part of our heritage. But what is the reality any more in agriculture?

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    corporate farming vs family farms

The real difference between "corporate" farmers or a family farmer boils down to who has the most dirt under their fingernails... it ain't the corporate bunch! The family farm is nearly a thing of the past. These folks are desperately trying to scratch out a living and need help to preserve a way of life. The others are just businessmen, like the moguls running the oil co's. They don't care what the hell they are involved with. They might as well be trading chinese egg futures.
    My $0.02 and mine totally:xmad:

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    One reason you see so much farming in flood prone areas is because that is where some of the richest soil is found so when you don't lose the crop to the water your yeild is higher.

I agree that having the government step in and pay a farmer not to grow anything it is crazy....especially when we have hungry people here in our own country. So is dumping thousands of gallons of milk or any other kind of waste. Instead of food stamps let them have some of the surplus, maybe? I don't really know first hand what the current reality is anymore when it comes to farming.

Farming and the lifestyle was something I loved and I miss it even though it could be grueling. Milking in 100 degree heat with no air or pulling a calf from it's dead mother in the middle of the night was hard but had it's rewards.

Anyway, I will quit waxing nostalgic about the whole thing and just say that we are going to be hurting at the grocery just like we are at the gas pumps, IMHO.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I agree we will all be hurting at the grocery. In fact that hurt has already started. You run into the grocery store for just a few items and leave with a $100+ bill:noway:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...This time last year, it was only $4.
    Which is twice what it was before the current ethanol debacle started.
    Most other food staples prices have been affected upwardly as the result of the rush to plant the "golden" gov't subsidized corn.

Another newer trend is the Wall St speculators moving much more of their money around in the grain markets that are now much more of a high dollar commodity. Wall St can and does swing drastically with the news of the day.

When you add to the above our current flooding conditions, fuel prices, and the tomato salmonella issue, we are in for a very bumpy ride at the grocery store.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Farming and the lifestyle was something I loved and I miss it even though it could be grueling. Milking in 100 degree heat with no air or pulling a calf from it's dead mother in the middle of the night was hard but had it's rewards.

Yep, same as reaching both arms into the manure pit to wrap a chain around the cows neck so she could be pulled out of it. Or holding the hind legs of pigs in the air with their heads between your knees as they squirmed with all they had to get away from being "cut."

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN

Sure prices are at a record high, then again, our fuel costs are at a record high, we planted more soybeans this year due to the first born child pricing on nitrogen fertilizers, seed prices are through the roof, spraying chemical prices are at record highs, as is machinery. We farm 1200 acres and seem to be a bit better off than some guys around who farm double the acreage, but we also take care of what equipment we have religiously, as it is about every 15 years we can afford a new tractor(last one was 167000 for a 180hp front wheel assist), combines are approaching 300000, planters 130000+, and such. And we don't throw our money away for green paint like everyone else either.

The guys with all the brand new stuff either have trust funds, 10000 acre's plus, or they lease everything:rolleyesedit:

Now that my rant fighting the farmers have it made story is done, with the flooding, I feel for them, and I pray they have insurance to help out with the costs. I have yet to see an insurance policy that will cover full costs.

We thankfully haven't been slammed as hard, got everything in the ground before it started raining, but we have about 40acres that just never came up, after planting the same 40 twice, we discovered the seed was bad....so, once it dries out, we're back to the fields:n00b:

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Yep, same as reaching both arms into the manure pit to wrap a chain around the cows neck so she could be pulled out of it. Or holding the hind legs of pigs in the air with their heads between your knees as they squirmed with all they had to get away from being "cut."

OMG, that is one I had forgotten about, with good reason! We did pigs for a short while and gave it up when they ate the gum boots off my feet as I waded through their pen. Isn't it amazing what you can do when you need to? Then, of course, there is de-horning and banding.....Hard to believe I miss it.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    The farmers field behind my house looks like it could use some irrigation improvements.

I'd be completely okay with it if he wanted to bulldoze up, oh say a 25-30 foot earthen burm in a horseshoe pattern facing my property.
    Heck he could even push it right into my backyard, I'm an easy neighbor to get along with.

I would even invite him over for a backyard shoot...er I mean BBQ.

:):

Top Bottom