• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I was Active Duty then, so I don't remember it. I do, however remember the last one here in Evansville (at least near Evansville), I was sleeping and it started shaking the house. I initially thought it was thunder, but when it didn't stop and the sky was clear, I was :poop: ing my pants and grabbing the BOB trying to find out what was going on.

I was a nervous mess. The girlfriend at the time thought I was hilarious. That's when I decided that if the SHTF I was grabbing my son and hitting the trail. She could take her funny a** and her kids and laugh all the way to where ever they were going. I was ready...

Doug

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    well, I remember the last one about 2 years ago in MO that made my HS in Indy shake for about 10 sec with an aftershock... slept through the initial, but i knocked stuff of shelves in my friend's house... we have an earthquake rider on our HOI now.

just another SHTF scenario to prep for.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    That's the one I'm talking about. I couldn't remember where it originated from so I didn't post a guess. But, that's it. The house shook, I jumped up and then it started again.

Anyway, I agree with the previous posts here. It's going to happen and when it does it's going to be bad.

If I remember my history correctly, there was a earth quake in the mid west 500-600 years ago and it changed the original course of the river. I also think it was a contributing factor to the shape and position of Lake Monroe, but don't quote me on that part.

So, it has happened and it will happen again. I just hope it doesn't destroy all the cool new Camaros, I want one of them...just for an emergency situation of course.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Would someone in the know please comment and fill in the rest of us please: whats the best action to take as soon as you feel an earthquake start? also i know that some of the aftershocks can be worse than the first shock, so is camping in the middle of a field the best coarse of action for about a week after the quake? im not being a smart azz, im seriously wondering. thanks in advance. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER AND SURVIVAL

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    So, it has happened and it will happen again. I just hope it doesn't destroy all the cool new Camaros, I want one of them...just for an emergency situation of course.

why the camaro? grab one of the new mustangs. they are smaller, faster, better on gas, sexier and have better visibility. just my .02

*E5Ranger375; as soon as you feel one start, either get under a sturdy table or brace yourself in a doorway and ride it out. if you are in bed, you can get out of bed and pull the mattress half-off the boxsprings to make a lean-to for you and your SO. for children that are in cribs, take the child out place him/her on the floor and use the crib as a cage of sorts-the new ones are very sturdy. making sure your family survives the initial quake will be your main concern...

ATF, you are best served by staying away from trees, powerlines, cell towers, buildings etc., so yes, a field is ideal, unless your scouting of the field reveals split earth. if you see split earth, its liable to split wider and create a bit of a sinkhole. as for a week ATF, it depends on the severity of the quake. if the infrastructure is taken out, wait for NG to take command of the situation, if it remains intact, allow your local PD and FD to do their jobs and stay out of their way. if your home is damaged AT ALL, you should stay out of it, because any visible damage to your house can be a sign of deeper structural damage that can be made worse by habitation. if there are essentials in your house, get them, but be careful

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    CAMARO +1
    MUSTANG +1
    CHARGER +1
    CHALLENGER +100

I love the look of the original muscle cars turned modern, but nothing will ever beat the original. like a well broke in pair of boots, somethings just cant get any better,

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Would someone in the know please comment and fill in the rest of us please: whats the best action to take as soon as you feel an earthquake start? also i know that some of the aftershocks can be worse than the first shock, so is camping in the middle of a field the best coarse of action for about a week after the quake? im not being a smart azz, im seriously wondering. thanks in advance. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER AND SURVIVAL
    I got this email the other day. I haven't verified it's information but thought I should at least share it. It sounds plausible.

by Doug Copp
    FYI
    My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager of the American Rescue Team International (ARTI), the world's most experienced rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an earthquake.
    I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue teams from 60 countries, founded rescue teams in several countries, and I am a member of many rescue teams from many countries.
    I was the United Nations expert in Disaster Mitigation for two years. I have worked at every major disaster in the world since 1985, except for simultaneous disasters.
    The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City during the 1985 earthquake. Every child was under its desk. Every child was crushed to the thickness of their bones. They could have survived by lying down next to their desks in the aisles. It was obscene, unnecessary and I wondered why the children were not in the aisles. I didn't at the time know that the children were told to hide under something. I am amazed that even today schools are still using the 'Duck and Cover' instructions- telling the children to squat under their desks with their heads bowed and covered with their hands. This was the technique used in the Mexico City school.
    Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings falling upon the objects or furniture inside crushes these objects, leaving a space or void next to them. This space is what I call the 'triangle of life'. The larger the object, the stronger, the less it will compact. The less the object compacts, the larger the void, the greater the probability that the person who is using this void for safety will not be injured. The next time you watch collapsed buildings, on television, count the 'triangles' you see formed. They are everywhere. It is the most common shape, you will see, in a collapsed building.
    Tips for earthquake safety:
    1) Almost everyone who simply 'ducks and covers' when buildings collapse ARE CRUSHED TO DEATH. People who get under objects, like desks or cars, are crushed.
    2) Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fetal position. You should too in an earthquake. It is a natural safety/survival instinct. That position helps you survive in a smaller void. Get next to an object, next to a sofa, next to a large bulky object that will compress slightly but leave a void next to it.
    3) Wooden buildings are the safest type of construction to be in during an earthquake. Wood is flexible and moves with the force of the earthquake. If the wooden building does collapse, large survival voids are created. Also, the wooden building has less concentrated, crushing weight. Brick buildings will break into individual bricks. Bricks will cause many injuries but less squashed bodies than concrete slabs. Concrete slab buildings are the most dangerous during an earthquake.
    4) If you are in bed during the night and an earthquake occurs, simply roll off the bed. A safe void will exist around the bed. Hotels can achieve a much greater survival rate in earthquakes, simply by posting a sign on the back of the door of every room telling occupants to lie down on the floor, next to the bottom of the bed during an earthquake.
    5) If an earthquake happens and you cannot easily escape by getting out the door or window, then lie down and curl up in the fetal position next to a sofa, or large chair.
    6) Almost everyone who gets under a doorway when buildings collapse is killed. How? If you stand under a doorway and the doorjamb falls forward or backward you will be crushed by the ceiling above. If the door jam falls sideways you will be cut in half by the doorway. In either case, you will be killed!
    7) Never go to the stairs. The stairs have a different ‘moment of frequency’ (they swing separately from the main part of the building). The stairs and remainder of the building continuously bump into each other until structural failure of the stairs takes place. The people who get on stairs before they fail are chopped up by the stair treads. Horribly mutilated. Even if the building doesn't collapse, stay away from the stairs. The stairs are a likely part of the building to be damaged. Even if the stairs are not collapsed by the earthquake, they may collapse later when overloaded by fleeing people. They should always be checked for safety, even when the rest of the building is not damaged.
    8) Get Near the Outer Walls Of Buildings Or Outside Of Them If Possible - It is much better to be near the outside of the building rather than the interior. The farther inside you are from the outside perimeter of the building the greater the probability that your escape route will be blocked.
    9) People inside of their vehicles are crushed when the road above falls in an earthquake and crushes their vehicles; which is exactly what happened with the slabs between the decks of the Nimitz Freeway. The victims of the San Francisco earthquake all stayed inside of their vehicles. They were all killed. They could have easily survived by getting out and lying in the fetal position next to their vehicles. Everyone killed would have survived if they had been able to get out of their cars and sit or lie next to them. All the crushed cars had voids 3 feet high next to them, except for the cars that had columns fall directly across them.
    10) I discovered, while crawling inside of collapsed newspaper offices and other offices with a lot of paper, that paper does not compact. Large voids are found surrounding stacks of paper.​

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville

Protest - Please don't take this as me arguing, but this is pretty much 'recent' history. A 'Rockhound' I met while hunting for geodes told me about the 500-600 year old earthquake. So that's where I'm getting my info from.

From what he said/told me, the oxbow in the Ohio river here at Evansville did not exist until after that earthquake according to geological records.

Thanks for the link though, it seems that it needs to be updated. I know of two earthquakes in recent years that were not listed i.e - 2000-2001? I was in class at Ivy Tech and the floor rolled, it felt like I was aboard ship again and had a woozy feeling for about 20 minutes and visions of the fat girl next to me reaching for me to help her LOL. Also the one mentioned here 2 years ago. I didn't see that anywhere.

rockhound - someone who hunts for gems, precious and semi-precious stones and fossils

Last edited:

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I did go look for some additional info, because I don't like giving bad info. Anyway, the rockhound I talked to may have had his dates wrong, or I may have remembered wrong. Take a look at this. Notice the blue dot which appears to be right in the Lake Monroe area.

Earthquakes in Indiana - Prehistoric Indiana earthquakes

Also, if anyone does go and look at this, check out the following pages. It has a list of what to before an earthquake strikes.

Doug

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield

If you are in an area that thing's will not be albe to fall on you then you are good to go.... that's for aftershock's......... I would not camp in a feild for the rest of my life haha.

For most just being in your yard will be fine.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    If you are in an area that thing's will not be albe to fall on you then you are good to go.... that's for aftershock's......... I would not camp in a feild for the rest of my life haha.

For most just being in your yard will be fine.

i thought about the yard, but for us in the burbs, we have to think about power lines :xmad:

last thing i want is to escape certain death from a wood pile to then get fried to a crisp

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    i thought about the yard, but for us in the burbs, we have to think about power lines :xmad:

last thing i want is to escape certain death from a wood pile to then get fried to a crisp

I would not worry to much about that area to much, I have some power lines but they are on the fence line, if they fall they will be on the other side of the fence haha.

Last edited:

brainslushy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Warrick County
    FEMA is doing a full-scale National Level Exercise event in spring 2011 on this scenario. We've been doing a lot of prelim and ramp-up work to identify problems and response/restoration priorities in every city/county in the lower half of the state. FEMA's taking this one pretty seriously.

Top Bottom