Indiana Constitutional Carry-Summer Study thread (2017)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thanks, was just coming to share this. They changed that nicely on a weekend when we are all out enjoying away time.

Part of the Friday afternoon document dump no doubt! Wow I'm getting cynical. I probably checked sometime Friday and it was still on the 12th, not for sure though. 18 more days gives us a chance to muster more forces. All we need to do is provide the facts while being polite and professional.

Although at some point we should remind our elected officials that the Indiana State Government wouldn't be overwhelming Republican if a majority of the voting population thought like the antis.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I don't think I have seen this question asked in relation to CC. I began wondering today, if CC is passed, how will it affect private sales? There seems to be a reliance on the LTCH in the INGO classifieds as a condition of purchase.

Under current Indiana statutes, the LTCH is not involved in any way in the transfer of a handgun, whether the transfer is through an FFL or a private transfer. So, constitutional carry, which retains the carry license but makes it merely optional (for reciprocity), will have zero impact on the private transfer of handguns.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Chip I think the question pertained to some INGOers requiring it for a transfer in the classies.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Chip I think the question pertained to some INGOers requiring it for a transfer in the classies.

That's a sellers requirement to do business, not a requirement of the state or even implied by state law. Con Carry has no effect; unless people want to lower their requirements.
    Since LTCH's continue to be valid and available, no need to change.
    If I don't know you thoroughly enough; it (showing the LTCH) is a good way to prove one is a proper, as opposed to a prohibited, person.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I don't think I have seen this question asked in relation to CC. I began wondering today, if CC is passed, how will it affect private sales? There seems to be a reliance on the LTCH in the INGO classifieds as a condition of purchase.

But that WAS the gist of his question.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

That's a sellers requirement to do business, not a requirement of the state or even implied by state law. Con Carry has no effect; unless people want to lower their requirements.
    Since LTCH's continue to be valid and available, no need to change.
    If I don't know you thoroughly enough; it (showing the LTCH) is a good way to prove one is a proper, as opposed to a prohibited, person.

I don't engage in the classifieds, but if I did, and I had any question about the legality of a transfer, I would follow the statutory requirements, and conduct the transfer through an FFL. In that case, I am statutorily protected by a "PROCEED". Merely using an LTCH (that I have no way of proving is even still valid) confers no such statutory protection for my actions in conducting the transfer.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    https://www.indystar.com/story/news...=1901145896567348&fb_action_types=og.comments

"House Speaker Bosma, the lawmaker largely responsible for setting the House's agenda, previously said he didn't see the point in permit-less carry. "I think our current gun laws are properly protective of the Second Amendment, and I don’t see that we need to have changes, but that’s just me personally," Bosma said prior to the start of the last legislative session."

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    https://www.indystar.com/story/news...=1901145896567348&fb_action_types=og.comments

"House Speaker Bosma, the lawmaker largely responsible for setting the House's agenda, previously said he didn't see the point in permit-less carry. "I think our current gun laws are properly protective of the Second Amendment, and I don’t see that we need to have changes, but that’s just me personally," Bosma said prior to the start of the last legislative session."

Paging Mr. Freeman, Mr. Kirk Freeman.

The hearing is now on the 30th in the House Chambers. It took the Indy Star a week to figure out the change and they didn't mention the new date. The bar for journalism is now below sea-level.

Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI
    I'm sorry for being uninformed but has any "study" been conducted and if so is there a report or something we can read?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I'm sorry for being uninformed but has any "study" been conducted and if so is there a report or something we can read?

its not complete. I think there have been two hearings so far with a third scheduled for next week. Basically its been testimony from interested parties and certain legislators. I think there are links in this thread if you want to play back any of the testimony. Dont know if a written report will be issued to the populace or not.

Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI
    Thanks for the response. Sounds like a kangaroo court to me. A study imo should be different and distinct from random testimony. As much as I want this to pass I have very little faith that it will this time around

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thanks for the response. Sounds like a kangaroo court to me. A study imo should be different and distinct from random testimony. As much as I want this to pass I have very little faith that it will this time around
    Always with them negative waves, Moriarty! ;)

It's not a kangaroo court or a sprint. This is definitely a marathon as it was in all the States that have recently passed ConC. I've been there for the first two committee hearings and will be there again on the 30th. I'm not sure what you're looking for in a study (these are politicians, not Industrial Engineers), hearing from the citizens of the State is what our elected officials should do.

You can attend or watch it live on the Indiana General Assembly website. I can assure you the testimony by those on our side of the issue isn't random.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I think it depends on the points driven home.

ie, Kirk pointing out that we have a defacto constitutional carry already, sorta puts the whole debate in 'moot mode' when one thinks about it...

They can rattle off whatever the hell stats they wish... it doesn't change the fact that:
    No one can ask for proof of your license to carry (unless you're suspected of a violent crime using a weapon) except the state which chooses to make you prove your innocence before issuing you your license.

There is literally NO OTHER LEGAL method to prove you should be able to carry a firearm in Indiana until AFTER it is used.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

NO, its not a "kangaroo court". We are getting really good testimony on the record in favor of ConCarry. The anti's are really only silly entertainment with NO facts, just emotion.

Since you already noted that you are not informed on the process, you might want to refrain from forming an opinion at this stage. That is what the anti's are doing. Forming their opinions without any study or review. Several of our INGO members have provided very good, fact-based, direct experience- based testimony.

Its a multi year process. Working our representative republic's legislative system takes time, but in the end I am confident that we will win.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom