Indiana Constitutional Carry - HB1022 (2018)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thank you for your service and perspective. Don't agree on that one point, but good luck and have a nice day anyway.

Thank you. There are a lot of different views on our side of the issue.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm of mind that it would have been better to let it languish in committee again or let it get voted down (in committee) (maybe) than it is to let it go forward as is. I have a theory that for many, the possession of a lifetime LTCH makes it less of an issue to go for CC. Being able to get it for free will certainly put this issue to bed for years to come, I believe.

I suspect that was the motive. This move wasn't intended to inch the ball forward, but rather to move it to a dead-end.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    First, thank you for writing this and getting involved. That you took the time to craft this very well-written letter is commendable.

Second, When writing to legislators, think of them as five years old. Use small words and short messages. Sadly, I would bet that your excellent letter received the following response:

"not in your district"- check
    "favors HB1022" - check
    "send form letter G-2 (Guns, favor)" - check

And point two is questionable whether it matters or not to Bosma.
    The staffer who reads his mail/email is paid to tally how many support or oppose every subject on which people write to him.

May I suggest for the future:

Dear Mr. Speaker,

I am an Indiana resident whom you, as Speaker, are expected to represent.

I support HB 1022 as presently written and ask that you do likewise.

Thank you.

(signed)

or

Dear staffer for Mr. Bosma,

I support HB 1022 and it is my expectation that the Speaker will also.

Please code this correctly on the spreadsheet.

Thank you.
    It is a shame that letters like yours are not given more attention.

Blessings,
    Bill

emailed Bosma with this message:

Mr. Bosma,

While I am not a resident of your district, I am writing to you because of your position as Speaker of the Indiana House of Representatives. This year Representative Jim Lucas has introduced House Bill 1022. This bill would remove the requirement for law abiding residents of Indiana to obtained a License to Carry a Handgun as a prerequisite for carrying a handgun. I encourage you to bring this bill to a House vote as quickly as possible. The Indiana Constitution guarantees the right of all Hoosiers to keep and bear arms. It does not make exceptions to this guarantee and therefore, in my view Indiana's licensing laws are unconstitutional. However, obviously the public safety must be ensured. This bill would also ensure that prohibited persons which are already denied the right to carry and obtain a license would still be denied the right to carry. This denial would keep the already existing conditions under which the public and law enforcement are kept safe from prohibited persons. Obviously also criminals don't follow the law. Therefore, law enforcement must take special precautions and undergo special training to deal with such circumstances. This exists now and would exist still if HB1022 were passed into law.

Through the decades many state and federal laws have engaged in the latest gun control trends in attempts to reduce crime. They have had little effect and only made the law abiding more vulnerable. While Indiana has not participated in many of these trends, on the issue of gun licenses, Indiana has participated. It is time to return to our state's founding on this matter and return to this right guaranteed in the Indiana Constitution to all good Hoosiers. For not only does the right to keep and bear arms guarantee the individual a means to protect themselves and their families but it also encourages civic participation through awareness of the freedoms and liberties that all Americans enjoy.

Thank you

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    From Guy's Post on WIBC:

Naively, I actually believed that the dialogue in the Summer Study committee hearings would sway those Republicans who still had any doubts about Constitutional Carry. Sitting through every minute of those hearings (and testifying twice), it was abundantly clear that the supporters of Constitutional Carry had facts, logic and historical precedent on our side - and opponents had little else but emotion and speculation. Importantly, the experiences of the twelve states that have already adopted Constitutional Carry argued strongly in favor of Indiana's adoption of permitless carry, as the predictions of the "negative impacts on police officer and public safety" simply haven't unfolded in those states. Nonetheless, the results of those hearings ultimately failed to sway Republican leadership, who apparently never intended to let Constitutional Carry get a vote this year irrespective of what happened in Summer Study. Of course that means that a lot of us wasted a tremendous amount of time and effort on a process that was never going to make any difference anyway. Ultimately, the cynics who said that Summer Study was just a way of placating gun owners for a year - while Republican leadership never had any intention of acting on the recommendations of the Summer Study committee - were exactly right.

I would only say I don't think it was a complete waste of time (though a false raising of our hopes).
    We put ALL the evidence (overwhelmingly) on the table in this effort. The facts support our side. Logic does as well. History does too.

Now we have to get the Legislators to overcome their fear of false agendas; Along with LEO Organizations ... or replace the people that are putting emotion over fact.

Neither is easy task. ... but the alternative to quitting is also unacceptable ... so we must press on.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    From Guy's Post on WIBC:

I would only say I don't think it was a complete waste of time (though a false raising of our hopes).
    We put ALL the evidence (overwhelmingly) on the table in this effort. The facts support our side. Logic does as well. History does too.

Now we have to get the Legislators to overcome their fear of false agendas; Along with LEO Organizations ... or replace the people that are putting emotion over fact.

Neither is easy task. ... but the alternative to quitting is also unacceptable ... so we must press on.

Amen Bill.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK, I been thinking about this, bear with me please. When in doubt I fall back on my USAF days, we are a group of individuals. Why don't we go with a unified command and draft Guy to exercise Command and Control authority over the Constitutional Carry Operations? 2A lawyer, has a radio show called The Gun Guy (not on the local swap-shop channel, WIBC is a blowtorch), on NRA TV every Wednesday? Obvious choice.

We all bring different things to the fight. We have many fronts and everyone fits somewhere.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I fear this is going to come down to either "we primary Bosma" or "we dump a metric crapton of cash on him and other legislators, like Long."

In short, we get the best government we can pay for.

Folks, it is not supposed to work like that, but the longer we go on, the more this is how it seems to me it is.

Ideally, I want Jim Lucas as Speaker of the House. For a variety of reasons, I don't think that option is viable in the foreseeable future.

On another point, wasn't Wesco the guy that primaried a good, solid 2A voice in the House an election or two ago? IIRC, the guy I'm remembering was bought and paid for by a couple of big law firms in Indy, and apparently, the guy he replaced "wouldn't play ball" with them.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Just glanced thru "candidate rules"
    The deadline is Feb 6, but I'm not sure if that is for incumbets or not.

The good news - Bosma has not yet filed for the Primary. (looked up list; latest was 1.24)

The bad - he has until the 6th of Feb. (at least).

There is a D listed that would later be against him but ... a snowball has a better chance of surviving a hot day in July ... in Death Valley. (IMO)

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    OK, I been thinking about this, bear with me please. When in doubt I fall back on my USAF days, we are a group of individuals. Why don't we go with a unified command and draft Guy to exercise Command and Control authority over the Constitutional Carry Operations? 2A lawyer, has a radio show called The Gun Guy (not on the local swap-shop channel, WIBC is a blowtorch), on NRA TV every Wednesday? Obvious choice.

We all bring different things to the fight. We have many fronts and everyone fits somewhere.

Funny you mention this... I PM’d Guy earlier today asking him how we can best get organized to win this battle.

It’s time to convert anger to action, organize, and WIN.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    Funny you mention this... I PM’d Guy earlier today asking him how we can best get organized to win this battle.

It’s time to convert anger to action, organize, and WIN.

:yesway:. In. Bosma and Co. showed their true colors this week. Summer study was a deliberate waste and fools errand. They knew it 100% going in that it was and allowed everyone with honest, solid effort to f themselves.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

I like it. We could get him a staff, just like all the "shops" in a HQ.

1. Personnel
    2. Intel
    3. Operations
    4. Logistics
    5. Plans
    6. Communications

Throw in an XO for continuity and management, an Ops SGM (sounds like something you would be perfect for) to make sure things happen, and maybe a CSM so everyone maintains the standard and plays off the same sheet of music.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Just sent this to the NRA-PVF

I am writing to urge you to take a closer look at Brian Bosma and Tim Wesco's NRA Rating in the State of Indiana. For the 4th year running, with a dominant Republican majority, Bosma has killed constitutional carry legislation that Jim Lucas has been pushing hard. Many of your members poored heart and soul in to gettting it passed. This year, we had momentum, and Mr Wesco came in, submitted a new ConC bill, and sabotaged this bill at the last minute by amending ConC out of the legislation w/o notice to anyone. The amendment was handed out in the hearing. I believe it is time to review Mr Bosma and Mr Wesco's rating and drop it to something more befitting of someone who waves the 2nd Amendment flag while stabbing their constituents and your members in the back.

Sincerely,
    87IROC
    NRA Life Member

https://www.nrapvf.org/contact-pvf/

Hopefully I got the facts right.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I like it. We could get him a staff, just like all the "shops" in a HQ.

1. Personnel
    2. Intel
    3. Operations
    4. Logistics
    5. Plans
    6. Communications

Throw in an XO for continuity and management, an Ops SGM (sounds like something you would be perfect for) to make sure things happen, and maybe a CSM so everyone maintains the standard and plays off the same sheet of music.

Then we'll need some Joint lingo with the Unified Combatant Command and the Joint Components. The discussion on whether we are Joint, Coalition, or Combined Forces should take us into the summer. We'll have Land, Air, Sea, and Special Ops Components. DIRSPACEFOR, DIRMOBFOR, serious flashbacks here! In CAOC Compound at Al Udeid the DCFACC lived across the street from the DFAC. Good times!

Top Bottom