Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think what Kirk is pointing out is that the law is:

And as such, the change to Constitutional Carry would make no difference.
    The person committing the criminal act of taking another's property by use or threat of force is committing a crime. If he is armed, there is an increase in the severity of the crime.

I know that when a parent brings a small child to the ED with a fever, some of my co-workers over the years have been known to roll their eyes, thinking or saying, "why didn't they give some tylenol or motrin?" or "why is the child still wearing fleece pajamas with feet!?" They forget that what to us is commonplace and routine because we deal with it all the time, is to that parent an emergency (and at times, it *does* mean that a little more will be done, such as testing for and treating infections, but much of that, other than the urgent issue of "well he has a high fever right now!" can be addressed in the doctor's office, and the fever can usually be handled at home, by the same means we're going to use: get them out of that warm sleeper that's keeping heat in and give them tylenol and motrin.) What does this paragraph have to do with the subject? Simple:

I think that sometimes, things which we know well, we forget that others may not. Kirk knows the law and knows it very well. He may sometimes discuss things here in a tone that pre-supposes that the rest of us share that familiarity with it. That's not a failing, and it's one reason that Kirk is high on my short list of people to call if I do ever need someone who knows the law that intimately. It can be a little frustrating to talk with people who, when you're looking for an explanation of something specific, sound like they're speaking in riddles when they're actually just giving you credit for knowing what they know.

Kelly, if I understand the original question, your son was asking based on the belief that "robbery" and "armed robbery" were two different sections of the IC, but they are not. The CWOL would not be chargeable, as it would no longer be a criminal act is all. It's still a crime to rob, and it is worse in the eyes of the law to do so while in possession of a deadly weapon.

I hope that helps, both with the original question and with Kirk's question ("Why would it?") as well.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Thanks for the info Bill. While we're going down the CC road we will catch questions that will make us say, hhmmmm. "Can felons carry guns now?" That's an easy one, "not legally".

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    In the gallery on the fourth floor. All kinds of noisy stuff going on downstairs

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I see old Charlie Brown, if I ever shook hands with him I'd count my fingers afterwards. The only reason he got an NRA F grade is there is not a G

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I can't be there today, but I'm watching online. And yes, Rep. Brown is... not a nice person. I predict he votes against 1250.

Edit: He did, as he said he would. For those who were not there, Rep. Brown said in committee that he would vote against any bill that expanded lawful access to guns.

Oddly, I don't remember a single effective thing he's done that limits criminal access to guns.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Unfortunately the ahole Charlie Brown is my local representative. There is no getting thru to him and once again, unfortunately the people around here keep reelecting him to office!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Unfortunately the ahole Charlie Brown is my local representative. There is no getting thru to him and once again, unfortunately the people around here keep reelecting him to office!

Speaking of the leadership of the small town in Texas in which he lived, my grandfather, rest his soul, was heard to say "What this town needs is a few good funerals." He never made a single comment of which I'm aware indicating that he wished to cause those funerals to happen, only that they would be beneficial to the community.

I'll take a step farther back even from that. I don't want anyone to cause it, but were some event of nature to bring about the need for some of the funerals that I think would benefit certain areas of the state, I would not be saddened by them.

A recommendation, however, for whoever eventually has to process Mr. Brown's body:
    Give him an enema, and you'll be able to bury what's left of him afterward in a matchbox.

Blessings,
    Bill

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

He's so old fate could cause him to involuntarily retire at any given moment. But what good would that do? They will elect someone else just like him.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I dunno Kirk, out of the three of us (me and my 2 sons) there's an MBA, a pre-Pharm major and a Computer Engineering major. No lawyers were in the car. I think it was from a standpoint of robbery vice armed robbery and the chance of pile-on charges (maintaining a common nuisance anyone?) even though possessing a firearms had anything to do with a crime.

I think we are overthinking it. There will be changes to other criminal statutes if Indiana eliminates the Larry requirement.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    What's going on, guys? The screen says the House reconvenes at 1545, and it's now 1630.

I gotta get ready for work soon, so I won't see the debate live, but I'll watch the replay, whenever it shows up on the site.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think we are overthinking it. There will be changes to other criminal statutes if Indiana eliminates the Larry requirement.
    I'm going back to under thinking things. I don't get as much of a headache that way.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm confused - why did Jim Lucas vote against 1250? That it doesn't go far enough?
    Jim Lucas and Charlie brown voted the same way on a gun bill. I checked weather Channel. They didn't say anything about hell freezing over. It could be a procedural thing, since he voted no he gets to do something else later. Or maybe he knew it was passing and it was a statement on Constitutional carry.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I watched the session until they gaveled it to a close tonight. I don't quite understand what happened with HB 1071. I guess it goes to a third reading now? Could someone who knows how to make sausage please explain? And what's up with the showmanship before the vote? And yes, they were late getting started again after the afternoon recess. KellyinAvon and I had to leave when they recessed mid-afternoon.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    under a major deadline ... so I missed this - try to check back later for an update.

As to Mr. C.Brown - and you can delete it if you want later (any of the mod's) - but he always makes me think of the Coasters ...

[video=youtube_share;_UnPzp2lmNk]http://youtu.be/_UnPzp2lmNk[/video]

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I watched the session until they gaveled it to a close tonight. I don't quite understand what happened with HB 1071. I guess it goes to a third reading now? Could someone who knows how to make sausage please explain? And what's up with the showmanship before the vote? And yes, they were late getting started again after the afternoon recess. KellyinAvon and I had to leave when they recessed mid-afternoon.

Can't answer all the questions - but I can explain what happened w/ 1071 ...

2nd reading is time for amendments and disucssion on these on the floor ...

Amd 3 - was Austin's attempt to kill this (despite what her words were ) ... and it was voted down.

Amd 8 - -Nisely's ammend - was essentially to make this HB 1159 - and it was over-ruled as this is a bill that is up for hearing yet. apparently that makes it ineligible ... here ... there was discussion about that before it was ruled ineligbile - like a review from the box.

W/ no amendments passing - it was ordered engrossed and on to 3rd hearing as it stands.

Probably tomorrow - possibly Wednesday for 3rd reading and vote ... to move on to senate ...

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Can't answer all the questions - but I can explain what happened w/ 1071 ...

2nd reading is time for amendments and disucssion on these on the floor ...

Amd 3 - was Austin's attempt to kill this (despite what her words were ) ... and it was voted down.

Amd 8 - -Nisely's ammend - was essentially to make this HB 1159 - and it was over-ruled as this is a bill that is up for hearing yet. apparently that makes it ineligible ... here ... there was discussion about that before it was ruled ineligbile - like a review from the box.

W/ no amendments passing - it was ordered engrossed and on to 3rd hearing as it stands.

Probably tomorrow - possibly Wednesday for 3rd reading and vote ... to move on to senate ...

Thanks for the explanation, the proceedings make sense now.

Top Bottom