• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Badly Bent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    hey guys i got my bullets today, loaded a few and they shot great,,

BUT i have a question..... they were supposed to be 180gr but they weigh anywhere from 180 to 187gr :( is this normal?? with this much variance they would be hard to get a "good" target load. any body else had this???

thanks

PS: not putting down the company just asking

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    If these are "lubed" which I bet they are - the lube probably accounts for the variation in weight. You might try removing the lube off one of the heaviest and one of the lightest (most any solvent will work, Naptha (lighter fluid) paint thinner etc.) then weigh - if there is still the same difference in weight you might call the vendor and ask them. The variation (I expect about 3% max when we cast - before lube) is a little high for the bullet alone in my opinion - if its the lube I wouldn't concern myself. No danger in shooting them as long as you do not load to the max with the lightest bullet you have.. Doubt you will see any accuracy issues unless you are shooting 100 yards and there are voids in the base of the bullet.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    tHmm, it does seem like a big spread but maybe Larry is right, check his method first and if you are still seeing a big spread in weights, give them a call.

I recently had some that were softer than I thought they should be so I tested them. Turned out they really were soft. So I told Mitch and he is going to replace them with ones that are right for my use and I will get the ones I have back to him sometime in the future. This is all part of being a new company IMO. What marks them as a GOOD new company is how well they take care of things found to be their fault and needed to be fixed. They can only do this if you tell them about it though. Call them, don't email, OK?

Badly Bent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    ok cleaned the lube off 6 of them and they are between 178 & 184 gr so i guess they are ok . i dont plan on competition shooting with them anyway LOL i was just worried about the difference of weight changing what i should be using for powder charge.... all is good

thanks

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    I test weighed a bunch of Penn Match (or whatever they call the more expensive ones) 200gr SWC's years ago. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was a lot less than 3%...I'm thinking maybe a little over 1%.

Top Bottom