• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-Bolt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    The Walmart here in Lafayette has started stocking wheat. Not a lot in stock but I once special ordered 3 pallets of food and got it in 3 days. Go there and ask for the grocery manager.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    As stated earlier, for you in the North end of the state, go to E&S in Shipshewanna; it is right next to Goshen along route 80. You can go do your bulk shopping and a little sight seeing also. Go during the flea market and you will have a great day!

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    http://www.squirrelcreekfoods.com/ for the North Central part of the State. We have been going there for over a year. They stock fifty pound bags of Prairie Gold wheat, flour, sugar, oats, and they have dry soup mixes, baking supplies, and other goodies. Two miles east of Gilead, IN.

You might call ahead if you are picking up a large order.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    http://www.squirrelcreekfoods.com/ for the North Central part of the State. We have been going there for over a year. They stock fifty pound bags of Prairie Gold wheat, flour, sugar, oats, and they have dry soup mixes, baking supplies, and other goodies. Two miles east of Gilead, IN.

You might call ahead if you are picking up a large order.

These are close enough for me to check out, thanks for posting.:D

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Here is a link to the mormon storehouse Welfare locations
    Here is there current pricelist page. Home Storage Center Order Form I have shopped there several times. Call ahead to see when they allow non mormons. It used to be Tuesday mornings and I think the the Fourth Friday at night. Do not worry about feeling odd. I thought they would be preachy but they were just happy that I was stocking up. As a side note I ordered 3000 pounds of food the first time and they simply said are you sure that is enough. Take cash. They run it as a service and last I heard they make no profit they just want people prepared. I am looking for bulk mung beans and non treated alfalfa seed in bulk. If you know where i can get that pm me.

SB2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Morgan County
    I drove to the LDS cannery on the NW side of Indy last Spring (near Moller and 84th in Park 100 area). Very good prices, very knowledgeable and they did not preach anything to me. They had someone walk me around, help me load my cart, find what I needed and ring me up. They even offered to shrink wrap the food on a pallet and load it into my truck with a forklift. I'm hardcore on organic (truly organic) foods, but for bulk long term storage I'm cool with non-organic. I found the LDS pricing hard to beat. We ordered food safe plastic buckets, mylar bags and o2 absorbers and packaged it here. If I had to do it over again, I would have canned it there. They have an entire setup to can on site - you just buy the material and do the canning yourself, they show you how. Honestly, I love the Mormon people - they are genuine and very kind. If their beliefs weren't so out in left field, I'd be one.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here is a link to the mormon storehouse Welfare locations
    Here is there current pricelist page. Home Storage Center Order Form I have shopped there several times. Call ahead to see when they allow non mormons. It used to be Tuesday mornings and I think the the Fourth Friday at night. Do not worry about feeling odd. I thought they would be preachy but they were just happy that I was stocking up. As a side note I ordered 3000 pounds of food the first time and they simply said are you sure that is enough. Take cash. They run it as a service and last I heard they make no profit they just want people prepared. I am looking for bulk mung beans and non treated alfalfa seed in bulk. If you know where i can get that pm me.

So wait, is this sorta like a Sam's Club of food run by the Mormon church, or, what is it?

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It is not like sams club. The mormons (from what I understand) believe every member should have a years worth of food on hand. They also believe in taking care of their own. So in order to make it easy they run their own farms and facilitate the distribution of said food to anyone. It is run as a relief center and massive grocercy store. It is mostly bare bones and cheap. Call them they would probably give you a tour. It is a massive warehouse with a bunch of dry goods. Look at the list. They had some other products as well though not for sale. This warehouse as they told me supplies the east coast in case of an emergency. I am not a mormon but they were happy that I was buying food. Just as some christians are just happy to see people read a bible or help others even if they have no faith. They have a cannery and as I understand it they will help you dry pack the food you buy or you can buy it pre canned. I have a limited budget so chose to bucket mine at home. The last time I went down was with a trailer for several people up my way. I phoned in the order ahead of time. When I arrived it was not ready and I offered to help after all I condsidered it dirt cheap. They said it was not neccessary but I helped anyway and they helped load it. I tried most of it and the quality was as I expected it to be. I sound like a commercial. I want everyone to prepare. After all if it does go down would it not be great if every man woman and child had 1 years worth of food.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It is not like sams club. The mormons (from what I understand) believe every member should have a years worth of food on hand. They also believe in taking care of their own. So in order to make it easy they run their own farms and facilitate the distribution of said food to anyone. It is run as a relief center and massive grocercy store. It is mostly bare bones and cheap. Call them they would probably give you a tour. It is a massive warehouse with a bunch of dry goods. Look at the list. They had some other products as well though not for sale. This warehouse as they told me supplies the east coast in case of an emergency. I am not a mormon but they were happy that I was buying food. Just as some christians are just happy to see people read a bible or help others even if they have no faith. They have a cannery and as I understand it they will help you dry pack the food you buy or you can buy it pre canned. I have a limited budget so chose to bucket mine at home. The last time I went down was with a trailer for several people up my way. I phoned in the order ahead of time. When I arrived it was not ready and I offered to help after all I condsidered it dirt cheap. They said it was not neccessary but I helped anyway and they helped load it. I tried most of it and the quality was as I expected it to be. I sound like a commercial. I want everyone to prepare. After all if it does go down would it not be great if every man woman and child had 1 years worth of food.
    Thanks for the info, I'll be giving them a call tomorrow!

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Howdy, I am a Mormon and have my years supply. I have canned at the storehouse and yes it is at cost. It is not a profit center but rather a place that anyone can purchase and dry pack food. The storehouse is a regional distribution point and also serves to assist those worthy members of the Church that have financial need with food and misc supplies. Bulk food is available to non members at the same cost that members pay. We believe in being prepared not only for SHTF scenarios but loss of job, illness, natural disaster, etc. My family lived off our storage items for almost a year many years ago (6 children). It was a life saver and supplemented our financial insecurity at the time. Call ahead for availability and operation times. We would like to see everyone prepared. We are our brother's keeper. Good shooting!

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I went to the LDS cannery last month and it was a great experience. I'm a non-member but was treated as one. They are open Tuesdays and Saturdays from10am-2pm. They recently stopped canning on-site but you can borrow (no cost) a canner and fill your own #10 cans at home. You can also purchase some pre-canned items (rice/beans/flour) for almost the same cost as food, cans, O2absorbers....without the hassle of canning. They don't offer freeze dried fruits or fancy stuff...mainly basic staples to get you through hard times. Other items like taters, dried milk, etc… come in bulk bags for packing in 5 gallon buckets. Overall....a great experience for a great service.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    The Walmart here in Lafayette has started stocking wheat. Not a lot in stock but I once special ordered 3 pallets of food and got it in 3 days. Go there and ask for the grocery manager.

Bumping this thread to see if anyone in Lafayette knows if Walmart is still stocking any of large bags of wheat, and if so, which Walmart?

Thanks!

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    Will vouch for Wheat N Things too. Its a mom and pop out of their garage operation. Good people. Last time I bought hard red and white wheat from them it was sourced from "Wheat Montana"

One option I just came across is Sam's Club believe it or not. Do a search on their website for "wheat pail". They have Augason Farms Hard White Wheat for $22.98 and Hard Red Wheat for $19.98. Shipping not included. Looks like shipping is 13 to 14 dollars a pail, least to my zip code.

I know its not local, but it is an option.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Hi Group
    I am looking for a place to buy Bulk grain in Indiana,

I found a good supplyer in CA that ships for only $4.50 per order but I realise the cost of shipping is included in the price of the products driving the cost up. (Honyvillegrain)

Found a place in ID that sells wheat for less than half the cost of the
    CA outfit but with shipping the price is about the same...
    HiStakes-Spelt.com

So... Do we have an Indiana supplyer? (possible personal pick-up)

looking for things like diffrent kinds of wheat, oat Groats, spilt, etc...

thanks in advance for info.

Mike

Mike check out my site we have all kinds of grains...
    Tresia Thompson - Online Store

marinemom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Columbus
    So is there a Mormon warehouse place in Indy? Intersting info. We have ordered organic wheat from the Something better foods co-op. Not sure where they are out of. Our distributor quit placing orders, so I am looking for a new supplier. Thanks for all the other ideas!

Top Bottom