• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This is hilarious. What one Indiana bar has had to resort to the keep within the stupid liquor laws in this state. Why can't you just have a bar that sells drinks, (like you do in almost any other state)? You have to sell food, too? Ridiculous.

Indiana Brewhouse Offers Microwaved Hot Dogs, Canned Soup To Comply With State Liquor Laws - Consumerist

bankmenu.jpg

rjh78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2014
    Indianapolis
    This is brilliant. I've wanted to go down the brewery route for several years, and state & local govt regulation makes it hard if not impossible to develop the business model I want, in the state I want...

rjh78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2014
    Indianapolis
    You mean like People's in Lafayette?

Or like Outliers in Indianapolis?

Or like . . .

It's the difference between a production brewery with a tasting / tap room with limited hours where most of the product is packaged for retail / distribution, versus a brewpub with the primary purpose of extended hours of operation and the product is sold chiefly for consumption on premise.

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    If this is the place in New Albany, they used to have a regular menu, not sure what happened, but I remember a dispute between the owners of New Albanian and the city of New Albany concerning permits over a beer tent or something.

edit: yep, same place, and their beer is reasonably priced and pretty darned good. (My wife has heard about the menu changes).

good for them!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's the difference between a production brewery with a tasting / tap room with limited hours where most of the product is packaged for retail / distribution, versus a brewpub with the primary purpose of extended hours of operation and the product is sold chiefly for consumption on premise.

So, we are agreeing that there are bars in Indiana that do not serve food and that this is just a silly PR stunt for the Porkpie hat and goofy facial hair crowd? Great, got it!

I am overstating the law, ironically:

porkpie.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Kind of reminds of a great line delivered by an actor, who later became a big time TV producer:

We serve hard drinks in here for men who want to get drunk fast, and we don't need any characters around to give the joint "atmosphere". Is that clear, or do I have to slip you my left for a convincer?

rjh78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2014
    Indianapolis
    So, we are agreeing that there are bars in Indiana that do not serve food and that this is just a silly PR stunt for the Porkpie hat and goofy facial hair crowd? Great, got it!

I am overstating the law, ironically:

Arguing with a lawyer here so I could be asking for it! We are not agreeing that there are bars that do not serve food. There are taprooms and tasting rooms at production breweries (defined as a brewing location where primary revenue comes from retail and distribution that is for consumption off site), that operate limited opening hours, which do not serve food. These are not to be confused with brewpubs or brew houses (defined as a brewing location where primary revenue comes from consumption of by-the-drink on site), where I understand that food or non alcohol related revenue must be realized.

EDIT - I'll add that I'm in no way in support of the requirement of food, or even the need to define things differently. In other states, production breweries have taprooms that operate regular bar hours, and make serious bank from it because all the margin is kept in house, and when I go pro I wont be doing it in IN. But since the bar here is required to offer food, this tongue firmly in cheek menu is great.

Cheers :cheers:

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    There are taprooms and tasting rooms at production breweries (defined as a brewing location where primary revenue comes from retail and distribution that is for consumption off site), that operate limited opening hours, which do not serve food. These are not to be confused with brewpubs or brew houses (defined as a brewing location where primary revenue comes from consumption of by-the-drink on site), where I understand that food or non alcohol related revenue must be realized.

No argument, rjh. Just pointing out the stupidity of Title 7, Indiana's dusty closet that should have been cleaned out years ago, and having fun.

I wish the restaurant well and maybe the hipster buzz will cause the General Assembly to act (by act I mean repeal, with big thick red pens, not pass more laws).

Hipster-Kitty-Makarov-Open-Carry01.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Fun. Perhaps we should go to 1800's NYC ordinances requiring a sandwich to be sold with each beer on a strict 1 for 1 basis. That ought to keep the Irish in their place. Liquor laws are fun. KY's are even more fun.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That ought to keep the Irish in their place.

You mean out of the NCAA Tournament in Spring 2015?

Keeping the Irish in their place:

notre-dame-fail.jpg

$10 hot dogs for everyone! Kirk is buying!!!

Come to People's this Friday! No hotdogs required (because it is bar, but not really a bar, so it does not need to sell food, but don't tell anyone in black socks and sandals this, well, tell them but do it ironically), but if the Mexican food truck (L Kora) is there, Freeman is buying!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom