• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    I would suggest re-reading Indiana Code on prohibited places to carry. There are a few other areas where carry, OC or CC, is prohibited.

Yea any court building, but thats common sense. Other than that I havent found any other places. If im wrong can you send me a link, maybe im not seeing all our gun laws. Here is where I read the gun laws.
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    What is common sense about that?

Let's say you were completely ignorant of any and all laws - why would it be 'common sense' that you could not carry in a court house?

You dont have to be a gun enthusiasts to figure all the signs on the windows and doors that stat no guns or weapons allowed and the metal detectors waiting for you to walk through to know guns arent allowed.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ignorant of the law is not an excuse
    I never said it was an excuse or a defense. What I am saying is - if you didn't know it was against the law - what makes you think it's common sense.

Common sense is something that the common person would know.

What is special about court houses that makes you believe the common person would think you could not carry a firearm there? Obviously if you go to enter and there are metal detectors that's a huge giveaway but saying there wasn't [I know courthouses with no metal detectors].

Beyond that - there are 'no firearms permitted' signs all over the place - Toys 'R Us for example and while that's policy it's not law and you can legally carry there [although they can ask you to leave].

Not all court houses have metal detectors and not all signs carry the weight of law.

You dont have to be a gun enthusiasts to figure all the signs on the windows and doors that stat no guns or weapons allowed and the metal detectors waiting for you to walk through to know guns arent allowed.
    You are both totally missing the question - I am asking how is it common sense?

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    What about Court houses? Inside the State capital building? Police stations?

I think you can CC in libraries now

I don't know if the law has changed but I went to a police station to file a report. I hit the button below the speaker and a LE came to let me in from the waiting area I told him I was armed and had a permit. He just said "oh, o.k., just leave it where it is" and took me to the bowels of the building where I sat next to him at a desk in front of the computer.

Maybe he was just being cool. I don't know if it was technically legal or not.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Yea any court building, but thats common sense. Other than that I havent found any other places. If im wrong can you send me a link, maybe im not seeing all our gun laws. Here is where I read the gun laws.
    Indiana Code TITLE 35, Article 47 Table of Contents

I have been wrong once before but I thought it was only verboden in buildings with court rooms if the local regulatory body had passed ordinances that make it so. Admittedly there are probably very few that haven't.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been wrong once before but I thought it was only verboden in buildings with court rooms if the local regulatory body had passed ordinances that make it so. Admittedly there are probably very few that haven't.
    At the very least, as of a year ago, the Parke Co. court house had no such regulation. I OCed there when I went to handle some snafu with my mother's burial plot.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Police stations and libraries are good to go. Can you just say "carry?" I hate it when people say CC.
    Police stations fall into the "maybe" category. If there is a jail in the police station then having a firearm on the property can be considered trafficking with an inmate. IC 35-44.1-3-5

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Its not illegal to ccw anywhere except schools in indiana. If your cc you have nothing to worry about anyways because they wont see it. As for oc, same laws, only difference is the owner or manager of the building can ask you to leave.

Umm you forgot Federal Buildings in Indiana which includes ALL post offices.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ..That said, those who do say it is illegal state it's a federal law but I've never seen it cited.

Agreed. Let 'em cite the Federal law, then. By the same token, I've not found anything in the Indiana Constitution prohibiting carrying at the BMV, which is a STATE operated facility.

JMO

Top Bottom