• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Herkynut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    northeast Indiana
    I have been donating a few bucks every year to the Indiana Association of Chiefs of Police. This year, however, I wondered what their position was on Gun Control legislation, so I sent them a query on their website.
    That was a couple months ago, and I have yet to hear from them. Does anyone here know where they stand on the 2nd Amendment and gun control?
    Thanks,
    Tom :dunno:

Southbendfamily

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    SBN
    South Bend Chief thinks that private gun ownership is a social disease and that those who own an ar style rifle only do so to hunt the human species. Hopefully they as an association are a bit more on this planet than this guy.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    South Bend Chief thinks that private gun ownership is a social disease and that those who own an ar style rifle only do so to hunt the human species.

Is that a direct quote or an approximation of his attitude based on his refusal to sign NFA forms? Just curious as to whether there's an interview or manuscript that I haven't seen yet. Please PM me this info if there is any. I don't want to thread jack too much.

-Dobber

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is that a direct quote or an approximation of his attitude based on his refusal to sign NFA forms? Just curious as to whether there's an interview or manuscript that I haven't seen yet. Please PM me this info if there is any. I don't want to thread jack too much.

-Dobber

He is fool. Very anti gun. How do the people up there stand for this idiocy?
    South Bend police chief weighs in on gun control - WSBT-TV

Southbendfamily

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    SBN
    Yes he is that much of a jackhat, at least in my humble opinion

“We need to look at gun violence as a social disease. In our country, for most diseases we have federal regulatory agencies like the Centers for Disease Control that would trace the food supply when people get sick. … We don’t have regulatory mechanisms to trace the guns. And a lot of this is the push-back of the gun industry not allowing the ATF and other federal regulatory officials to trace the guns. We don’t have a federal gun registry. Or background checks after first point of sale.
    `Look at gun violence as a social disease¿ - southbendtribune.com

Guess that it was not a direct quote, but the issue with him is that he does not feel that the private ownership if firearms is necessary. I think he is of the notion that the S tate, will be your provider.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    He's a jackwagon of the highest order. His rhetoric is just parroting the talking point lies and misdirections from groups like HCI.

It's ironic that he thinks regular people shouldn't have the same kinds of guns that he believes are just fine for police officers.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    With his attitude he shouldn't be in law enforcement in America, but in one of the numerous European countries where people have no gun rights or maybe back in 30's or 40's Germany

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Interesting thing this chief is quoted as saying about driving not being a right whereas firearms ownership is. I have often wondered why more people fail to bring that up in arguments. We hear the anti's claim the one has to have a DL and registration for a car but not a firearm.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    Interesting thing this chief is quoted as saying about driving not being a right whereas firearms ownership is. I have often wondered why more people fail to bring that up in arguments. We hear the anti's claim the one has to have a DL and registration for a car but not a firearm.

Actually, in the article posted above, the quote reads:

"Owning a firearm is your absolute right and there's a difference between th your car and having the freedom to drive your car, it's a privilege, not a right. There are differences, so we have to acknowledge that when we approach this," Hendrickson said."

The last line attributes those words to Casey Hendrickson, the radio show host having a discussion with Chief Teachman.

Awkward writing.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Driving a car vs gun ownership / driver's license etc etc etc...

If you own your own property - you don't have to have a driver's license, insurance, any training, etc etc etc.

But when you step out onto "the people's infrastructure" that you DO need insurance / license / etc.

It's not driving in and of itself - it's the use of public infrastructure.

Build your own private roads - no big deal.

The argument between driving / gun ownership isn't necessarily an easy one to define.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Officially, every cop and related agency should be dead neutral on the issue.

Unofficially, they can have any opinion they like, for or against. That's all good.

But as soon as the guy / gal says "I'm a LEO and I think"... they should be fired.

Cops who stop you OC'ers out there and wanna 'lecture' you though you're perfectly legit? Fired. NOT 'reprimanded', not 'time off w/ pay', not 'time off w/o pay', not 'suspended'.

Fired.

Because they're using their official capacity to promote their personal agenda. That's a 'Bozo-no-no' across the board.

Cops and cop agencies should be strictly prohibited from promoting / endorsing any candidate, agenda, and so forth. No candidate / legislation signs in their front yard during elections, nothing. As a private person, fine. But as soon as they attempt to do so and use their "I'm a cop and..." that SHOULD be sufficient grounds for immediate termination.

The job of law enforcement is... yep, you guessed it, to enforce the law.

Just my thoughts.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

Unofficially, they can have any opinion they like, for or against. That's all good.

But as soon as the guy / gal says "I'm a LEO and I think"... they should be fired.

Cops who stop you OC'ers out there and wanna 'lecture' you though you're perfectly legit? Fired. NOT 'reprimanded', not 'time off w/ pay', not 'time off w/o pay', not 'suspended'.

Fired.

Because they're using their official capacity to promote their personal agenda. That's a 'Bozo-no-no' across the board.

Cops and cop agencies should be strictly prohibited from promoting / endorsing any candidate, agenda, and so forth. No candidate / legislation signs in their front yard during elections, nothing. As a private person, fine. But as soon as they attempt to do so and use their "I'm a cop and..." that SHOULD be sufficient grounds for immediate termination.

Just my thoughts.

Actually, law enforcement agents have some discretion in what laws they enforce. Most ISP road troopers, for example, will allow you up to 10 MPH over the posted speed limit before they ticket you on the state's highways.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Fired.

Just my thoughts.

Sooooo, I'm a cop and I don't have the right to put a candidate's sign in my yard during an election?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    OP, I couldn't find a list of the police chiefs, so either they're being silent on the matter as an association or they're taking their own individual stances. The Indiana Sheriffs' Association has taken a stance of being pro-2A. If you really have to donate money to any of them the sheriffs would be a better bet, if they have a mechanism for accepting donations.

Growing List of Sheriffs, Associations and Police Chiefs Saying ‘NO’ to Obama Gun Control | CSPOA - Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association

581130_493431067387719_733897176_n.jpg

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    OP, I couldn't find a list of the police chiefs, so either they're being silent on the matter as an association or they're taking their own individual stances. The Indiana Sheriffs' Association has taken a stance of being pro-2A. If you really have to donate money to any of them the sheriffs would be a better bet, if they have a mechanism for accepting donations.

Growing List of Sheriffs, Associations and Police Chiefs Saying ‘NO’ to Obama Gun Control | CSPOA - Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association

581130_493431067387719_733897176_n.jpg

I like it.:yesway:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Actually, law enforcement agents have some discretion in what laws they enforce. Most ISP road troopers, for example, will allow you up to 10 MPH over the posted speed limit before they ticket you on the state's highways.

Not on US-231 between Crawfordsville and Lafayette!

Top Bottom