• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Okay, Indiana is the only state in the nation that does not allow liquor or package shops to operate on Sunday.

Negative, ghostrider, Indiana is the only state keeping the fence up for the liquor stores. It is not a ban; it is a state protected day off.

XDdreams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    For those of us who live in Indianapolis, we have quite a few micro brewers in our area. Saturday and Sunday are the only days when I will have a drink, so I tend to plan ahead and get a growler filled at sun king or flat 12. Also, the taste of the beer seems to be better fresh out of the tap. I really wish Three Floyds was located here in Indianapolis, that could potentially increase the days I drink though, probably better its not.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Negative, ghostrider, Indiana is the only state keeping the fence up for the liquor stores. It is not a ban; it is a state protected day off.

And actually now that you mention it, I believe that off-premise sales at liquor stores are not allowed on sundays in OK and TX as well. Not sure the rest of the laws in those two states concerning sundays.

But essentially that is what indiana has, except it expands out to cover grocery stores as well.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Also known as a weekly ban on capitalism.

It is a protected day off, come on. Car dealerships need this protection as well. But not motorcycle dealers, no sir. Motorcycle dealers can protect themselves.

Isn't it funny the lengths people will go prop up outdated blue laws? Millions of dollars change hands at the statehouse to offer up these "protections". Insinuating that it somehow isn't a moral issue...funny stuff.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I was listening to the radio this morning and a spokesman for the liquor store association stated that as many as 1/3 of all liquor stores in the state would close if we allowed carry-out sales on Sunday. He claimed it would be due to the grocery stores also being allowed to sell on Sunday. It seems I remember this same person making the same claim in regards to allowing grocery stores to sell cold beer.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I was listening to the radio this morning and a spokesman for the liquor store association stated that as many as 1/3 of all liquor stores in the state would close if we allowed carry-out sales on Sunday. He claimed it would be due to the grocery stores also being allowed to sell on Sunday. It seems I remember this same person making the same claim in regards to allowing grocery stores to sell cold beer.

If that's the case, then why aren't they already out of business?

That's like the argument the distributors make about having to deliver on Sunday. They're not delivering on Sunday now to the restaurants and bars that are selling.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Wow, I've never had a problem if I wanted a drink of alcohol on a Sunday and I plan ahead for Sunday with take out bought Monday thru Saturday. No Problem here that I see :rolleyes:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    No Sunday sales and still one of the most free states. To be honest I don't think I've ever bought beer on Sunday, even back when drinking beer was a serious hobby for me. Could this really be a non-issue?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Okay, Indiana is the only state in the nation that does not allow liquor or package shops to operate on Sunday. Everyone happy now, good. Now go buy a motorcycle.

This isn't true, from utah.com:

Packaged liquor, wine, and heavy beer "to go" are sold at state liquor stores throughout Utah. .... State liquor stores accept cash, check, and credit cards, and are closed on Sundays and holidays.

I'd guess there are other exception to sales on Sundays in other states.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

:nopity:

This ain't the first time a lobbyist resorted to hyperbole.

I've been supporting this group:
    Hoosiers for Beverage Choices

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    This isn't true, from utah.com:

Packaged liquor, wine, and heavy beer "to go" are sold at state liquor stores throughout Utah. .... State liquor stores accept cash, check, and credit cards, and are closed on Sundays and holidays.

I'd guess there are other exception to sales on Sundays in other states.

State owned stores. You can buy alcohol at regular stores, well 3.2%.

Provo lifts Sunday beer sale ban - ABC4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News

Indiana is still alone.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wow, I've never had a problem if I wanted a drink of alcohol on a Sunday and I plan ahead for Sunday with take out bought Monday thru Saturday. No Problem here that I see :rolleyes:

No, I don't need to buy alcohol on Sunday, I make my own. But why is there a law against it? Why does this law still exist? (Lobbyist!!) Why to package stores need special protection that limits consumers? I can understand the place of Blue Laws when the only employee was the owner who would end up having to work all seven days, but those days are long gone now.

[STRIKE]Two[/STRIKE]Three scenarios:
    1. On Sunday I want to make Chicken Marsala, but I have no Marsala and I can't buy it. I starve - are you happy Indiana General Assembly!!
    2. Joe is traveling from NY to MO and stops in Indiana on Sunday, we have a decent selection of beer and wine not available to him in either location. But, It's Sunday and Indiana looses sales and tax revenue.
    3. I just want to buy on Sunday!

Now, explain the prohibition on alcohol on voting day (This coming Tuesday!). If I vote in the morning, who's business is it if I drink at night? (well, 5:30) Are they afraid I might get liquored up and accidentally vote for Mourdock?

Follow the money trail: It ain't coming from grandma sitting at the Seventh Day Adventist. Although, some might be from MADD...

The lobbyist used to try the argument that only trained liquor store clerks can prevent underage sales - another BS argument.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Who drinks 3.2% beer? :puke:

No one can make the argument that Utah liquor laws are less restrictive than Indiana.

Alcohol laws of Utah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Utah State Liquor Laws | Utah.com

Well, UTAH is an ABC state so it isn't a direct comparison. But yes, Indiana is more restrictive than Utah. The options available to residents of Utah are greater than the options of residents of Indiana. They can buy beer on Sunday, we can't. Everything else is the same except the distribution system.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, UTAH is an ABC state so it isn't a direct comparison. But yes, Indiana is more restrictive than Utah. The options available to residents of Utah are greater than the options of residents of Indiana. They can buy beer on Sunday, we can't. Everything else is the same except the distribution system.

No it's not. Did you even read those links?

You can't go into a bar and buy a drink. You have to sit down and have it delivered.Nor can you buy a mixed drink without buying food.

And again, (almost) any beer that's 3.2% ABW was watered down prior to bottling. Are you aware of what slips under 3.2% ABW - not what you think. I'd hardly put a check in the Utah column on this one.

The Homebrewing industry is struggling under the gov't boot there.

An this is only what I gather from a little quick reading. My strong hunch is that the Gov't run package stores are quite limited in selection and that restaurants are not easily or affordable offered full service licenses.

As for distribution, IN is pretty good. There's not a lot of protectionism and breweries and wineries can self distribute.

Top Bottom