• LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    It's about time you showed up.

I'm late to the game, per the usual!

He was busy reading the wallet thread.

LOL!!! Mike is dead on! That's exactly where I was!

Why haven't I read that yet?

You must go. It's epic. I laughed until I cried on many occasions.

You will need a lot of spare time.....................:):

CM is correct, again! That's no ****! It took me several days but it was sooooo worth it. And it just keeps getting better!

Sorry I was tardy, CPT. Again, great job!

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    tcu is easily the best deal for low cost checking and good service in the northern indiana counties. are you there to carry & show off your piece, or there to bank? that would be my thought. i dont get it. then again I dont show when i carry. I dont get that either.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    tcu is easily the best deal for low cost checking and good service in the northern indiana counties. are you there to carry & show off your piece, or there to bank? that would be my thought. i dont get it. then again I dont show when i carry. I dont get that either.
    He's there to bank - he carries openly 24/7/365 except when sleeping/showering.

I do the same - I do not go into the bank with my openly carried firearm for attention, I go into the bank because I have banking to do. If I didn't have banking to do, I wouldn't be walking into the bank. I've been in several Chase and Fifth Third banks openly carrying many times I would sit down with the bank manager to discuss something and only once have I been asked by a teller, "Is that a gun?" I simply told her "Yes indeed it is," and went about my business without further incidence.

Just as you wake up and put clothes on [underwear, shirt, pants, socks, shoes] I do the same except I also put a flash light in my left pocket, a knife in my back left pocket, an extra magazine at my 7 o'clock, and a firearm at my 3 o'clock. This is what I have on all day, every day. I'm sitting here on my couch in my own house and I have all of this on... Now I wait for somebody to tell me I'm looking for attention by wearing it around my house and how I should conceal because I could scare visitors.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington

Glad you choose to CC, some of us choose to OC, and I personally don't see why any of us should be hassled about it!

Read my sig line and get over it.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

So much fail. As Mike said, I carry, 100% of the time, and 100% of that is open. I don't make exceptions on where I carry. OC is not about "showing off your gun." I OC, if asked to cover or leave, I OC somewhere else. I do not comply with insolence. I was simply going about my day, and was asked to change my lifestyle for the sake of the ignorant.

I think there's more that you don't get than you admit to.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's pretty obvious to most people that he was there to bank. Other people at the bank chose to make it an issue about his OC. Just like you're doing here.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I get hassled more for OC on INGO than in real life. That's sad, isn't it?
    Seems a large portion of the gun owners I've interacted with are the, "If you don't do it like me, you're doing it wrong," type. I imagine this ... 'condition' ... affects other groups of people too but I don't belong to too many groups to know.

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    I get hassled more for OC on INGO than in real life. That's sad, isn't it?

hmm, interesting, I didnt know this was a contentious issue here. I'm a noob.

I wonder what is your occupation? Many people make the most frequent contacts with strangers at work, and, that may condition us to prefer to interact with others in public similarly. if one has a job that would not be well done carrying a firearms openly, then at leisure one might also prefer to avoid the kind of notoriety and attention that would generate.

if there are some threads where the matter has been debated, I would aprpeciate to see links please

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington

I wonder what is your occupation? Many people make the most frequent contacts with strangers at work, and, that may condition us to prefer to interact with others in public similarly. if one has a job that would not be well done carrying a firearms openly, then at leisure one might also prefer to avoid the kind of notoriety and attention that would generate.

if there are some threads where the matter has been debated, I would aprpeciate to see links please

You're kidding right? have you not looked at the sticky's at the top of this sub-forum?

Also, your hypothesis is flawed.... I work in an industry where I interact with business owners and leaders all the time, carrying a firearm exposed would arguably be a career ending move... However when I am not at work, I OC almost exclusively.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Every time somebody posts about an experience while OC'ing - it usually takes no more than 3 responses - quite often the first response - for somebody to say "You should just conceal/cover it up. You are just wanting to show off and get attention. Yadda... Yadda... Yadda..."

It's quite annoying - nobody was asking for advice on how they should carry - they were just sharing their experience.

People OC for varying reasons and your speculations would be but one of many reasons for doing it or not doing it. I OC for a few simple reasons -> 1. It's comfortable 2. It's easier 3. It's a great deterrent.

To make a simple example - think about your alarm system. What do you think is the bigger deterrent? The alarm system itself or the little door/window stickers and yard signs they put in with the system? I would venture to guess the signs are a great deterrent while the alarm system itself is purely reactionary.

Rather than carrying concealed and wearing a shirt that says, "Leave me the frak alone, I'm armed," one could simply carry openly and experience the same [if not better] deterrence with less negative attention. Such a shirt would easily be seen by even those that OC as an attempt at getting attention. Why cover it up if you're going to go through trouble to make it apparent you have it, for example?

Wow...
    2013-05-28_13-58-52.png

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

CPT, like many of us, go about our daily lives and don't care to hide our guns. Some of us do it for comfort, some of us do it for access, some of us do it for other reasons that are personal reasons that an individual chooses for him/herself.

Can you get that? Pretty simple, really. I bet you can.

You don't show when you carry. That's OK with me. I wouldn't make a point to tell you how to carry or bother to wonder why you hide your gun. It's your choice and none of my business. You mind your business and I'll mind mine.

It works pretty good if you can do it.

Can you get that? I bet you can.

If you are still struggling with how an individual chooses to exercise his/her rights, please go to the link below and have a read. It will do you some good if you open your mind.

You may only need to read the first post to get it. After that, you might want to read on...or not.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html

Stocks

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    You're kidding right? have you not looked at the sticky's at the top of this sub-forum?

No, I hadnt actually, so thanks for pointing that out, I will ahve to take a look at those

Also, your hypothesis is flawed.... I work in an industry where I interact with business owners and leaders all the time, carrying a firearm exposed would arguably be a career ending move... However when I am not at work, I OC almost exclusively.
    my hypothesis was phrased as "might" so if it is a statement of tendency, your personal preference might or might not still fit the generalization, i dont know however, which is why I said "might." you seem pretty convinced about your "OC" preference and I see some other remarks here that solicit argument. interesting.

some people like to argue. I think I used to be that way, but I'm old now. not as much anymore

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    No, I hadnt actually, so thanks for pointing that out, I will ahve to take a look at those

my hypothesis was phrased as "might" so if it is a statement of tendency, your personal preference might or might not still fit the generalization, i dont know however, which is why I said "might." you seem pretty convinced about your "OC" preference and I see some other remarks here that solicit argument. interesting.

some people like to argue. I think I used to be that way, but I'm old now. not as much anymore
    I might be a 300 pound gorilla. I might like soy milk with my cereal. Let's talk about what is or is not and not what may or may not be?

That said - I'd take this discussion to the sticky thread mentioned previously. If you read it you'll find all of the arguments you could possibly come up with have already been mentioned, refuted, and re-mentioned by both sides numerous times. If you come up with some new ground-breaking thought on OC vs CC, I think you'll find out it's not new nor is it ground-breaking.

Here's the link again for your convenience: The Open Carry Argument

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Me thinks you are being a bit stubborn. Sure you have a right to carry openly--no one is arguing that point--but---in this day and age with all the shootings going on---you are hurting all of us gun owners. Consideration for others---especially when entering a bank or credit union---is certainly warrented. Just my opinon--

We are under no obligation to KNEEL to the whims of the weenies who suffer from hoplophobia.

I am soon to move to Virginia...which is a OPEN CARRY gold star state. You can open carry WITHOUT any kind of permit or license needed. To CONCEAL carry, you are REQUIRED to have a permit.

I will carry any D*MN way I wish, since my LTCH states that I may carry a handgun. It does not state I have to CONCEAL carry it.

IMO, it's gun carrying weenies that give in to the PC pressure of the left that are the REAL problem for our gun community.

Top Bottom