Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    family_reunion_zps6nimug7z.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think the argument is that even if there isn't necessarily an individual victim, humanity is the victim. That, society should have some standards of right and wrong behavior, apart from individual victims, so that some behaviors don't become normal. But is society really a victim if there are no laws against incest? I mean, it's not like if there's no law against it, every dad will screw his daughter. Right? Because that's morally wrong. Right?

In the case the OP presented, a father had sex with his estranged 16 year old daughter one week after reuniting. I'm sure to everyone here, even mrjarrell:stickpoke:, that's pretty ****ed up. At least I hope you think that's ****ed up. It's not like everyone will stop thinking that's ****ed up just because government doesn't make a law against it.

What's really ****ed up about the OP's cited case, the father's family is just fine with it. Maybe he's had prior experience? The mother's family is at least sane.

We agree on most everything, and I think I've posted most of it at some point. People who aren't currently engaging in incest aren't going to start because it became legal. Social taboo, an understanding of genetics and its role in health, etc are much stronger in regulating sexual norms. What I don't see is how humanity is the victim. Yes, I find the practice repugnant, but again there are a multitude of sexual practices that I find repugnant yet others enjoy with no affect on me. If you want to be a swinger and swap wives with someone else and everyone's willing, that's none of my business and none of the governments even if I find it disgusting.

I asserted that in a father/daughter case that the daughter could easily be the victim. The father has the most formative years of his daughter's life to groom her for an incestuous relationship.

Aside from parent/child relationships I have no argument for there being a victim.

I suppose that's possible and is the best argument I've seen so far, but believe current child protection laws would cover that, and that the most likely course of events would be a child molestation charge.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    "Crimes against humanity" is often used as another way of saying there is no victim.

If humanity itself can be a victim, then the logic would lead to banning just about anything.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I suppose that's possible and is the best argument I've seen so far, but believe current child protection laws would cover that, and that the most likely course of events would be a child molestation charge.
    I'm not saying a father wouldn't molest, but it's possible to groom someone, to make them fall in live with you and think it's okay without any physical impropriety. It wouldn't be hard to psychologically damage your child so that once they are of age you can take advantage of them.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm not saying a father wouldn't molest, but it's possible to groom someone, to make them fall in live with you and think it's okay without any physical impropriety. It wouldn't be hard to psychologically damage your child so that once they are of age you can take advantage of them.

Someone, like mom's new boyfriend, or Uncle Chester, or maybe a basketball coach. There could be no biological link and the same "grooming" happening.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Someone, like mom's new boyfriend, or Uncle Chester, or maybe a basketball coach. There could be no biological link and the same "grooming" happening.
    I agree. I never said more laws were the answer or would stop it, just saying that in SOME instances there can be a victim with incest (even between adults.)

Carry on.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Even the title of this thread reinforces negative stereotypes. If incest's head was always ugly, I don't see how it could ever be too prominent.

Double family bagger, I suppose.

Anyhoo.....

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We agree on most everything, and I think I've posted most of it at some point. People who aren't currently engaging in incest aren't going to start because it became legal. Social taboo, an understanding of genetics and its role in health, etc are much stronger in regulating sexual norms. What I don't see is how humanity is the victim. Yes, I find the practice repugnant, but again there are a multitude of sexual practices that I find repugnant yet others enjoy with no affect on me. If you want to be a swinger and swap wives with someone else and everyone's willing, that's none of my business and none of the governments even if I find it disgusting.

I'm not arguing in favor of society as a victim because society is only a collection of individuals. If there isn't a singular victim, there can't be a plural one. Being offended by vile behavior isn't being victimized.

However. While I don't think it's up to the state to prohibit things I find disgusting, I also am vehemently against the state passing laws that protect people and their behavior from the scorn of other people. People get to think what they want. And people get to express what they think. And if people get to do vile things, other people get to think it's vile.

If I'm a baker and a dad walked in with his daughter as a "couple" and asked for a father/daughter wedding cake, once I've determined that they're actually serious, the state has no right to prevent me from telling them exactly how likely he/she is to get that cake, as I show them the quickest exit from the shop.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Which would likely fall under existing child abuse laws, which includes child solicitation, intentionally emotional damage, etc. Unless you were able to completely sequester a child all the way through adulthood, I just don't see this as a realistic possibility without running afoul of existing child protection laws.

Top Bottom