• G23 or g32 for hiking

• Total voters

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    Let's just say you are hiking, which I do, and you are legally carrying a gun on the trail. The areas I usually hike have some small black bear and I was wondering which gun you would choose to take with you if these were your 2 options. G23 in 40 or g32 in 357?
    Sorry for the limited choices this is what I have.
    I know there are better options but I don't have the funds right now.
    Pure self defense, I'm not hunting, already have bear mace(option #1)

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    More ammo in the g32. May be worthwhile to put one round into the ground to see if the report scares off the bear. No point in wounding/killing it if you are just "sharing" the trail with him for a second. After that, I'd think the next 14 .357 rounds would put a similar hurting on him as the .40.

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    Thanks armedrph, that is something I did not think about. The report on the 32 is louder (IMO) than the 23. That is a good idea, I have seen some videos online of people who fired one into the ground in front of a charging bear and they did stop. It looked like in the video they were using a larger caliber wheel gun although that 32 may be just as loud.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    More ammo in the g32. May be worthwhile to put one round into the ground to see if the report scares off the bear. No point in wounding/killing it if you are just "sharing" the trail with him for a second. After that, I'd think the next 14 .357 rounds would put a similar hurting on him as the .40.

Both hold 13 rounds with their respective, flush fitting mags. The .357 is basically a .40 S&W case necked down to .355 dia.

I would go with the .357 with a handload using the heaviest constructed 147 gr bullet I could find.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    Hard to say, probably the G32 for a bear. The other day I had to dispatch a very mean nuisance animal in my backyard (live in the county) and had to use my G19. It was probably about one tenth the size of bear, but still mean and foaming at the mouth, d*** raccoon made me waste two good rounds to his head. Then had to spend the hour cleaning my gun, it was great night, could not have asked for better.

Top Bottom