• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Since the 17wsm has let me down, I want to get another 17 caliber rifle. The two I have kinda/sorta gotten down to are the Ruger Precision Rimfire, or the Browning T-Bolt Target.

Ruger has 1:9" twist, Browning is 1:9" twist.
    Ruger has 18" barrel, Browning is 20".
    Ruger is almost 7lb, Browning is 6lb.

Usage will be making tiny holes in paper targets, as close together as I possible can. Anybody got any opinions (HA!)?

Thanks, y'all

Last edited:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have a 17HMR. It is a Ruger 77/17. Quality product, not cheap though. Mine has a beautiful walnut stock w/ checkering and topped with a scope. Infact is was manufactured to only use with a scope. It is a tack driver. There are a few less ground hog families because of it. :pimp:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I don’t have any experience with 17hmr in the guns you’re asking about, but I have some in a savage 9317 and it’s pretty accurate

I do however have experience with the ruger precision rimfire in 22 long rifle and given the right ammo it’s a tac driver, with the right ammo it’ll make jagged holes in targets!

The guys who really want the rprr to be accurate change the barrel, change the trigger and bed the action, and play with the torque settings between the receiver and the chassis, those guys get smaller jagged size holes…so they end up spending more for customizing the rprr than they spent on the rprr!

After guys do all that…it get just as accurate as a box stock cz!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Since the 17wsm has let me down, I want to get another 15 caliber rifle. The two I have kinda/sorta gotten down to are the Ruger Precision Rimfire, or the Browning T-Bolt Target.

Ruger has 1:9" twist, Browning is 1:9" twist.
    Ruger has 18" barrel, Browning is 20".
    Ruger is almost 7lb, Browning is 6lb.

Usage will be making tiny holes in paper targets, as close together as I possible can. Anybody got any opinions (HA!)?

Thanks, y'all

We have a A bolt micro in 22 Hornet and its amazing, for what I bought it new for. Browning learned long ago on how to make the little ones fly well.
    Do you have a budget for just the rifle?

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I don’t have any experience with 17hmr in the guns you’re asking about, but I have some in a savage 9317 and it’s pretty accurate

I do however have experience with the ruger precision rimfire in 22 long rifle and given the right ammo it’s a tac driver, with the right ammo it’ll make jagged holes in targets!

The guys who really want the rprr to be accurate change the barrel, change the trigger and bed the action, and play with the torque settings between the receiver and the chassis, those guys get smaller jagged size holes…so they end up spending more for customizing the rprr than they spent on the rprr!

After guys do all that…it get just as accurate as a box stock cz!
    See, that is kind of what I don't want to do. I want one good to go out of the box. I have had fun in the past, tinkering with different guns to wring the most out of them.

And I am not saying CZ is bad, I just don't want one.
    We have a A bolt micro in 22 Hornet and its amazing, for what I bought it new for. Browning learned long ago on how to make the little ones fly well.
    Do you have a budget for just the rifle?
    I want to keep it under $1000 for the rifle. I am stripping the scope and bipod off the B.mag.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    See, that is kind of what I don't want to do. I want one good to go out of the box. I have had fun in the past, tinkering with different guns to wring the most out of them.

And I am not saying CZ is bad, I just don't want one.

I want to keep it under $1000 for the rifle. I am stripping the scope and bipod off the B.mag.
    I would be really tempted to look at one of these or the one under it for about 700.00?

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifle...FG*MTcxNTY0NjAzOC4xLjAuMTcxNTY0NjAzOC4wLjAuMA..

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The Ruger Precision rifles have never had much appeal to me so of those two I'd definitely go with the T-bolt. The T-bolt is a nice rifle but if accuracy were my sole focus, I'd be looking at a Tikka T1x or a Bergara first. Both of those are likely to shoot very well out of the box and still have lots of aftermarket support if you reach the point where you can no longer resist the temptation to tinker. Not that the T-bolt won't shoot, it just doesn't have the aftermarket support of the others if you decide that you want to wring the most out of it. Magazines are also not cheap.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The Ruger Precision rifles have never had much appeal to me so of those two I'd definitely go with the T-bolt. The T-bolt is a nice rifle but if accuracy were my sole focus, I'd be looking at a Tikka T1x or a Bergara first. Both of those are likely to shoot very well out of the box and still have lots of aftermarket support if you reach the point where you can no longer resist the temptation to tinker. Not that the T-bolt won't shoot, it just doesn't have the aftermarket support of the others if you decide that you want to wring the most out of it. Magazines are also not cheap.
    Is there a Browning rifle magazine that is cheap?
    The A bolt Micro I have in 22 Hornet has a drop floor plate in it. The magazine snaps into the floor plate. To reload you drop the floor plate, pull off the mag, load it, snap it back on the plate and swing it back in place.
    The rifle is now discontinued, when a mag does pop up for sale they easily fetch 100 bucks.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Is there a Browning rifle magazine that is cheap?
    The A bolt Micro I have in 22 Hornet has a drop floor plate in it. The magazine snaps into the floor plate. To reload you drop the floor plate, pull off the mag, load it, snap it back on the plate and swing it back in place.
    The rifle is now discontinued, when a mag does pop up for sale they easily fetch 100 bucks.
    Possibly the Winchester branded BAR mags but other than that Browning and Sig both seem to share the same magazine pricing model. At least the T-bolt mags are not quite that high but still expensive for rimfire mags.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Possibly the Winchester branded BAR mags but other than that Browning and Sig both seem to share the same magazine pricing model. At least the T-bolt mags are not quite that high but still expensive for rimfire mags.
    Yep, sometimes I go WTF are they thinking.
    I have a Cooper mod 57 in 22LR
    He used an Anschutz 22LR mag and made a few minor changes and then polished them and then gave them a deep blue finish. I ordered 3 I believe about 20 years ago and they were pushing a 100 a piece then.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Browning T-bolt is coming up tops, but my local suppliers can't find any.

The Bergara BMR is looking good, too. Just haven't asked about availability yet.

And the Tikka T1x Hunter with the wood stock is very nice.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

The Bergara BMR is looking good, too. Just haven't asked about availability yet.

Heres another choice.

Christensen Arms Ranger 17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire/22 Long Rifle​

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I've owned a number of HMRs, lever, semi-auto, bolt action, single shot. Savage, Marlin, Ruger, and CZ. All with scopes of course, and every one of them was capable of 1" at 100 yards. We currently shoot prairie dogs to 150 yards with a couple of CZ 452s. I believe the round is inherently accurate. Get the gun that looks and feels good to you and your checkbook.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

How's come you don't want a CZ? Not trying to offend, was just curious. I've had splendid luck with the CZ's. This 452 is in 17 hm2. It shoots as good as it looks. My 453 in 17 hmr is maybe my most accurate rimfire.

452 hm2.jpg

Top Bottom