IN LTCH but heading into military next yr...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • federsjc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Alright. I just obtained my lifetime IN LTCH but will be entering the USAF next may as an officer. Not sure where they will be sending me but that I guess is besides the point. I did a little research on here but couldnt find the right answer. So 1) if I leave and enter into the military will I need to obtain a new state liscence and 2) do you need a LTCH if active in the military. Any help is good help.
    thanks,

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Likely yes to both questions, depending on your duty station.

Your Indiana LTCH will remain valid as long as you retain an Indiana residence.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Alright. I just obtained my lifetime IN LTCH but will be entering the USAF next may as an officer. Not sure where they will be sending me but that I guess is besides the point. I did a little research on here but couldnt find the right answer. So 1) if I leave and enter into the military will I need to obtain a new state liscence and 2) do you need a LTCH if active in the military. Any help is good help.
    thanks,
    As long as you maintain Indiana as your "Offical Home of Record", both your DL and LTCH will remain valid.

fwacfred

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    MYRTLE BEACH
    Depending on where you end up stationed you can probably still carry using your LTCH if that state honors it. If they don't, there is usually a provision in many states for you to obtain a permit if you are active military stationed there. Good luck to you.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    thanks,

As long as you are active duty, your licenses from IN don't need to be "transferred" to where-ever you are stationed, nor should your LTCH become invalid because you aren't considered to have moved out of state. I think you still vote as an IN resident as well, but I'm not 100% on that.

Thank you for your service!!

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    thanks,

The Indiana State Police issued an LTCH to a potential officer? Man. They need to tighten their procedures! :):

Silvertree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    The Indiana State Police issued an LTCH to a potential officer? Man. They need to tighten their procedures! :):

I know! When I enlisted in the USAF, I was all set to be an officer. Then they found out my parents were married when I was born so I was disqualified! :):

Good luck. I think you will enjoy the USAF. I do not think you will be allowed to carry on base despite the LTCH, at least not without some sort of permission from your commander or higher. I took my Citori with to tech school so I could shoot trap while I was there. I had to get a signed letter from my commander, another officer, and then I had to keep my shotgun in the armory unless I was at the range shooting. I went through the same procedures the sky cops did when I checked it out.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Im in the same boat. Going active as an officer in the USAF next year. Just get the lifetime LTCH and dont change your place of residence. However that said if you get stationed somewhere with lower tax rates..........

However you still need to remember that the IN LTCH isn't accepted in all states so I believe you would need a non-resident license if you were unlucky enough to get stationed there. Or if that state has an active duty clause, but im not up to speed on what states do and dont have that clause.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Thank you for your service... you should try to obtain a Utah Non
    Resident permit, before you go... You will not be allowed to carry any
    weapon, in uniform, unless issued, for duty... off duty find out local or state laws, where you are stationed... GOOD LUCK, Have fun, ( as much
    as you can, being an officer)... don't be to hard on the troops...
    LISTEN to your seasoned NCO's, they (WE) can be a big help.....

Top Bottom