• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    Found this article from Febuary. Anybody know this guy??

Indiana's gun laws too lax, Helmke says
    State limits only what federal government requires

By Aaron Organ
    of The News-Sentinel Whether you are for guns or not, there's not much debate that Indiana's gun laws enforce only the bare minimum. The state aligns with the federal government's mandated laws but chooses not to add further restrictions on buyers or sellers.

Paul Helmke is critical of the state for that.

As president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, Fort Wayne's former three-term mayor spends his days in Washington, D.C., now, pushing for those restrictions. His organization recently released its annual state scorecards, rating each state on the strength of its gun laws, and Helmke wasn't surprised to learn how lacking his home state really is.

Indiana received eight of a possible 100 points on the scorecard, ranking it 31st of the 50 states in the strength of its gun laws.

“Basically the only points that Indiana gets are for not doing bad things. We don't force guns onto college campuses or into the workplace, for example,” Helmke said. “Bottom line, Indiana hasn't done anything on guns one way or the other. People don't realize how weak the laws are at the federal level; people don't realize how weak the laws are at the state level; and because of that, we end up seeing a lot more violence than we should be seeing.”

Jerry Wehner, executive vice president of the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association, the state branch of the National Rifle Association, falls on the other side of the fence when it comes to gun laws.

“… Indiana has some of the best gun laws, or lack of gun laws, of any state in the nation,” said Wehner, who said he would support required training if the conditions were laid out. “We have very reasonable gun laws. I realize what the Brady Campaign does is they take states that have ‘bad' gun laws, or what I call ‘good' gun laws, or lack thereof, and gives them a bad rating. The more laws a state has, the more restrictive it is, the better score they get.”

Wehner said those states with more restrictive gun laws also have high crime rates, citing New York and California.

But Helmke says it's the lack of gun laws and training that are leading to deaths.

The Brady Campaign reports some 30,000 deaths per year nationwide as a result of guns. More than 80 people die from guns every day, with about 200 more suffering injuries.

“It's a public-safety issue, it's a public-health issue, it's a common-sense issue,” said Helmke. “We're not requiring people to show that they've taken any gun-safety classes, we're not requiring them to show that they're physically capable of handling a gun. We make it too easy for dangerous people to get guns, and we don't talk enough about the responsibilities that need to go with gun ownership.”

To buy a gun in Indiana, you must be over 21 years old and possess a valid state ID or driver's license with a current address. Then, you'll go through a federal background check.

If the check comes back void of felonies and misdemeanor crime convictions and shows the applicant to be mentally stable with no involuntary commitment into the mental health system and no chronic abuse of drugs or alcohol, that person can buy a potentially deadly weapon.

Indiana has no limitations on the sale or possession of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons, no requirement for handgun purchasers to give fingerprints, no license or permit required to buy handguns, and no one-handgun-per-month limit on sales.

Hoosiers aren't required to report any lost or stolen guns to law enforcement, their guns needn't be registered with law enforcement and there's no waiting period on gun sales. The permit is for people who want to carry or use their guns outside their homes, but it's not necessary to possess a permit to purchase a gun. What's more, gun purchasers are not required to go through any training or testing, and gun dealers aren't forced to offer them, raising the question: Does Indiana need to change its gun laws?

California, by comparison, goes the other way in almost all categories with the toughest gun laws in the nation, earning 79 of 100 points to score first overall on the Brady scorecard.

Illinois, which ranked ninth, requires background checks at gun shows, a loophole in Indiana to which Helmke strongly points. Ohio, which ranked 20th, requires firearm training for all purchasers.

“We require a driver's license to drive a car, and formal training,” said Mark vanBurk, president of H&H Firearms, 1525 Directors Row, whose business voluntarily offers an introduction to handgun safety course every two weeks.

“Kids and handguns, it's the only two things you can own that you don't have to have any kind of formal training.”

VanBurk says a gun owner in Indiana must be willing to put in the dedication to become a responsible owner. He suggests any owner put in the individual training by practicing shooting, disassembling and carrying a gun safely.

The bottom line is, gun laws don't have to translate into high gun-related injury or death statistics, and both sides can agree on that.

“If someone wants a gun, I'm not against that,” said Helmke. “People have a right to have a gun, the courts made it clear. But the courts also made it clear that there are limitations on that, and it's a responsibility as well as a right.

“We focus so much on the gun rights, but we don't focus enough on the responsibilities that come with it. There are more requirements on the dealer that sells cigarettes or alcohol than the ones that sell guns.”

Added Wehner, “You cannot legislate common sense.”

God help us from idiots like him.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Yeah, I bet all those states with high "Brady" scores really enjoy the low rates of violent crime that strict gun laws bring.....oh, wait......what do you mean they're the most violent and unsafe places to live in America?!?! That can't be right...less guns, less crime, right?

Friggin idiot...and look, he's another one throwing around the "common sense" mantra that those liberty bashing, traitorous Commies all seem to think will make the BS they spew sound more intelligent. Go take a long walk off a short pier, Helmke, and bring that bastage Bloomberg with you.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Reading that makes me proud to be a Hoosier. Oh yeah, he can kiss mine next.

I'm with you. In fact, I say we track him down and line up a la Braveheart. :moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

Kilts, of course, are optional :laugh:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Indiana is a great state, Helmke should simply stay in DC. It sounds like he will be a lot happier there.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    You have my vote on staying in DC. If you are that unhappy about Indianas laws stop whining and do something about it-get out and go to another state where you don't have rights.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Kilts, of course, are optional

You do know that the English invented kilts.:D Oh, wait, that's not why I'm here.

But Helmke says it's the lack of gun laws and training that are leading to deaths.

While Paul Helmke is the dumbest man ever to enter Indiana politics, I think we can come to a common ground as to his concern for training.

I hereby propose THE FREEMAN BILL FOR CIVIL RIGHTS, CHILD SAFETY AND REALLY GOOD THINGS OF 2010:

1. Mandatory firearms training and marksmanship teams in 6th, 8th, 10th and 12th grades. Before a student can graduate, the student must pass a course on the current service rifle of the United States, currently the M16.

2. Construction of public ranges (paid for by P-R money) in every county/parish in every state for the promotion of safe shooting. The Brady Campaign chips in for 50% of the costs.

3. Monies spent on gun school tuition is made a tax credit on the 1040.

4. Increased funding for the CMP and the sale of surplus government ammunition and firearms including the repeal of ATFE's "once a machine gun always a machine gun" rule.

And this is just a start of my Safety Program!:ingo:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    And yet, Indiana's violent crime rates are no higher than those of other states with similar gun laws. Amazing thing that.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Indiana's laws are far too restrictive and need a good looking at. We need to repeal them and start over from the basics in the state constitution. People have the right to keep and bear arms. There. That's all the laws we need. As for Helmke....screw him.

.30 Cal Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Hi

Anything that lets me buy a firearm more easily AND pisses of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and Propagate Magical Thinking is a Win-Win situation, as far as I'm concerned.

... clip ...

I hereby propose THE FREEMAN BILL FOR CIVIL RIGHTS, CHILD SAFETY AND REALLY GOOD THINGS OF 2010:

... clip ...

Kirk Freeman for State Senate in 2010
    (or whenever)
    A Vote that's Kirk's is a vote that WORKS!
    or
    Vote FREEMAN :
    (place catchy election slogan here)

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Whether you are for guns or not, there's not much debate that Indiana's gun laws enforce only the bare minimum. The state aligns with the federal government's mandated laws but chooses not to add further restrictions on buyers or sellers.
    Weird, huh? shall not be infringed. Funny Indiana mostly follows that.
    As president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, Fort Wayne's former three-term mayor spends his days in Washington, D.C.,
    Good. Stay there. don't come back to Indiana. Hoosiers are better off without you.
    now, pushing for those restrictions. His organization recently released its annual state scorecards, rating each state on the strength of its gun laws, and Helmke wasn't surprised to learn how lacking his home state really is.

Indiana received eight of a possible 100 points on the scorecard, ranking it 31st of the 50 states in the strength of its gun laws.
    Let's shoot for 50th
    “Basically the only points that Indiana gets are for not doing bad things. We don't force guns onto college campuses or into the workplace, for example,” Helmke said. “Bottom line, Indiana hasn't done anything on guns one way or the other. People don't realize how weak the laws are at the federal level; people don't realize how weak the laws are at the state level; and because of that, we end up seeing a lot more violence than we should be seeing.”
    "force guns"??? seriously?? there are states that require people to carry guns to college and to work? I'm moving there.
    weak laws at the federal level? Gee, the ATF really has nothing to do most of the time, huh?
    Jerry Wehner, executive vice president of the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association, the state branch of the National Rifle Association, falls on the other side of the fence when it comes to gun laws.

“… Indiana has some of the best gun laws, or lack of gun laws, of any state in the nation,” said Wehner, who said he would support required training if the conditions were laid out. “We have very reasonable gun laws. I realize what the Brady Campaign does is they take states that have ‘bad' gun laws, or what I call ‘good' gun laws, or lack thereof, and gives them a bad rating. The more laws a state has, the more restrictive it is, the better score they get.”
    reasonable gun laws? the only reasonable gun law was passed more than 200 years ago. It's called the second amendment. Now stop infringing, and Mr Wehner, stop compromising with Brady.
    Wehner said those states with more restrictive gun laws also have high crime rates, citing New York and California.
    true
    Now you're just making things up
    The Brady Campaign reports some 30,000 deaths per year nationwide as a result of guns. More than 80 people die from guns every day, with about 200 more suffering injuries.
    that's very sensational when taken out of context. In context with all the causes of death, as well as other forms of violence that develop when ordinary people are prohibited from bearing arms, not so much.
    “It's a public-safety issue, it's a public-health issue, it's a common-sense issue,” said Helmke. “We're not requiring people to show that they've taken any gun-safety classes, we're not requiring them to show that they're physically capable of handling a gun. We make it too easy for dangerous people to get guns, and we don't talk enough about the responsibilities that need to go with gun ownership.”
    not your responsibility, Paul. Leave it up to the individual. You are not our nanny.
    To buy a gun in Indiana, you must be over 21 years old and possess a valid state ID or driver's license with a current address. Then, you'll go through a federal background check.
    WONG!!
    If the check comes back void of felonies and misdemeanor crime convictions and shows the applicant to be mentally stable with no involuntary commitment into the mental health system and no chronic abuse of drugs or alcohol, that person can buy a potentially deadly weapon.

Indiana has no limitations on the sale or possession of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons, no requirement for handgun purchasers to give fingerprints, no license or permit required to buy handguns, and no one-handgun-per-month limit on sales.
    :thumbsup: Sounds like common sense to me!
    Hoosiers aren't required to report any lost or stolen guns to law enforcement, their guns needn't be registered with law enforcement and there's no waiting period on gun sales. The permit is for people who want to carry or use their guns outside their homes, but it's not necessary to possess a permit to purchase a gun. What's more, gun purchasers are not required to go through any training or testing, and gun dealers aren't forced to offer them,
    :thumbsup: Now we're getting somewhere with our common sense!
    raising the question: Does Indiana need to change its gun laws?
    ahh...no.....
    California, by comparison, goes the other way in almost all categories with the toughest gun laws in the nation, earning 79 of 100 points to score first overall on the Brady scorecard.
    yet they still have much more violent crime than we have. Did ya ever think: "The gun control restrictions that don't work in California won't work in Indiana"?
    Illinois, which ranked ninth, requires background checks at gun shows, a loophole in Indiana to which Helmke strongly points.
    yet their violent crime is still higher than what is in Indiana.
    Ohio, which ranked 20th, requires firearm training for all purchasers.
    Didn't I mention this before? YOU CAN'T JUST MAKE THINGS UP!
    “We require a driver's license to drive a car, and formal training,” said Mark vanBurk, president of H&H Firearms, 1525 Directors Row, whose business voluntarily offers an introduction to handgun safety course every two weeks.
    H&H firearms. I won't be going there anymore. I'm glad I haven't bought anything from them.
    “Kids and handguns, it's the only two things you can own that you don't have to have any kind of formal training.”
    Making things up again? believe it or not, you don't have to have any formal training to own a car. Chainsaw, either. Or cordless drill, lawnmower, refrigerator, house, farm, computer, etc.
    VanBurk says a gun owner in Indiana must be willing to put in the dedication to become a responsible owner. He suggests any owner put in the individual training by practicing shooting, disassembling and carrying a gun safely.
    good suggestions. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. unconstitutional legislation.
    The bottom line is, gun laws don't have to translate into high gun-related injury or death statistics, and both sides can agree on that.
    The don't have to, but historically, they always do.
    “If someone wants a gun, I'm not against that,” said Helmke.
    :poop:
    “People have a right to have a gun, the courts made it clear. But the courts also made it clear that there are limitations on that, and it's a responsibility as well as a right.
    The courts that made it clear that there are limitations on that have far exceeded the authority granted them by the constitution.
    “We focus so much on the gun rights, but we don't focus enough on the responsibilities that come with it. There are more requirements on the dealer that sells cigarettes or alcohol than the ones that sell guns.”
    Stop making things up.
    Added Wehner, “You cannot legislate common sense.”
    No, but you're doing a good job of trying to legislate it away.

Top Bottom