• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    My wife ordered two pairs of the Surefire ones today.

We'll see how that goes.

In most cases I wear the wax ball ones you fill your ear with, and if that's not enough, I'll put on muffs over them, but I don't USUALLY need the muffs.

Rescue912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Lafayette
    I like the silicone reusable plugs. Can be reused and inserted and removed with gloves on. Same dB rating as the foam plugs just more user friendly.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I just picked up a pair of Allen Ultra-Light Sound Sensors. Rated at 26 db noise reduction and claims to use acoustic chambers to decrease noise. I wanted something smaller than a set of full size hearing protectors. I will post a review after I shoot a few hundred rounds with them on.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    I agree with the silicone ones. They are much more comfortable than other plugs to wear for extended periods of time. I have a set of Sensaphonics (that I got from Dawn) that I use for work. At shows, I wear them for hours with no discomfort issues at all. But, that's the point of having them custom made to fit your ear.

I've had this set for about 3 years and they are holding up extremely well. Everything sounds clear and not muffled. Basically, things sound the same, just quieter. That's what you want.

As nice as they are, I do not use them for shooting. For shooting I use regular foam plugs that have a higher dB rating. For me, that's the most important thing. My ears have had years of abuse at shows and I do everything I can to take care of them now.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I got these today. They are really comfy. I don't know how well they work though. Maybe I'll find out this weekend. I tried having the dog bark to get a sudden loud noise but he wasn't having any of it.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Well all I can say is "meh" for the surefire ear plugs.

I wear ear plugs every day where I work. The amount of time depends, but some days its just for a few minutes, and other days it could be for hours on end.

Yesterday I went for a quick range trip to test 3 items. A new 91/59 Mosin, a Saiga 12, and an AK-74.

I test fit the plugs as soon as they arrived from the UPS guy. They seem to fit ok, but for me to get them where they really seem to deaden the noise I had to really push them pretty far in, where it was almost uncomfortable. I tried to do some research on how far they should be in, and looked at the pictures on the surefire website. They sure dont push them in that far from what I can tell.

I took them to the range, and ran the Mosin. I shot it twice with them in, and then took them out. The mosin may not have been the best choice for a test rifle, but these plugs didnt work nearly as well as the ones I typically get at work which are EAR Classic type plugs (E-A-R Hearing Protection Products). These are much more comfortable for me, work much better (they have an NRR of 29 dB (compared to the 16 dB of the Surefire).

Anyway, I will try them out again and start out with a little less voilent rifle ;)

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    and I want to try them again when shooting a couple of handguns for that very reason.

Im not a good judge though. Since I use earplugs on a daily basis, I really dont have any issues hearing someone talk while Im using them.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Well all I can say is "meh" for the surefire ear plugs.

I wear ear plugs every day where I work. The amount of time depends, but some days its just for a few minutes, and other days it could be for hours on end.

Yesterday I went for a quick range trip to test 3 items. A new 91/59 Mosin, a Saiga 12, and an AK-74.

I test fit the plugs as soon as they arrived from the UPS guy. They seem to fit ok, but for me to get them where they really seem to deaden the noise I had to really push them pretty far in, where it was almost uncomfortable. I tried to do some research on how far they should be in, and looked at the pictures on the surefire website. They sure dont push them in that far from what I can tell.

I took them to the range, and ran the Mosin. I shot it twice with
    Code:
    them in, and then took them out. The mosin may not have been the best choice for a test rifle, but these plugs didnt work nearly as well as the ones I typically get at work which are EAR Classic type plugs (E-A-R Hearing Protection Products). These are much more comfortable for me, work much better (they have an NRR of 29 dB (compared to the 16 dB of the Surefire).

Anyway, I will try them out again and start out with a little less voilent rifle ;)

I've used E-A-R Classic Plugs for over 30 years.

E-A-R Hearing Protection Products

Aren't the surefires an active device that allows normal DB levels through while suppressing loud noises electronically?

Seemsike the E A R plain foam plugs are a completely different type of product.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    no electronics to them. From what I can tell, the Surefire units will allow more sound through if you remove a plug from the center of the ear plug itself, allowing a small passage way for sound.

For me to remove or insert that small plug, Ive got to take the unit out of my ear anyway.

Top Bottom