• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone found good in-ear plugs for shooting. I'm considering Westone shooting ear plugs but I cannot find anyone that is actually using them to confirm how well they work. Anyone know of any others?

I have a nice set of electronic ear muffs. But, when shooting all day, possibly multiple days that get old. I'm looking for good in-ear options.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I never wear muffs unless i'm a spectator. I always wear Radian's Jelli Snug Plugs when shooting. They last a while, clean up easily, and are easily inserted and removed. They're also dirt cheap at about $3/pair and they survive through at least a month of shooting.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I was looking at the $12 surefire ones. They are supposed to let lighter sound through but block the sounds of gunshots. :dunno: I want to try them but I am in the same boat as you, I have no idea.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was looking at the $12 surefire ones. They are supposed to let lighter sound through but block the sounds of gunshots. :dunno: I want to try them but I am in the same boat as you, I have no idea.

I saw those recently as well. I've got a set of those on order. I hope to have them by the time I get to the range next week. At $12 they are not too costly to experiment with so I am giving them a try.

One of the guys at TDI in Ohio has some in-ear molded ones. I'll have to ask him how well they work and where he got them. I'll be out there again in October for HG IV-V class.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I've used the Surefire's for about 3 years now and absolutely love them. I got a lot of people to comment on them at NFA day, as I wore them all day and was standing next to the muzzle of the AK. I can hear people talk with them in and it blocks out muzzle blast. Not sure how they work, but they work well.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you get custom plugs done I highly suggest you get the silicone rather than the acrylic. I have both and I can't stand the acrylic. You are in Indianapolis, I highly suggest you contact Dawn at Ear Everything. earEverything Inc. . She is fantastic.

Thanks, I reached out to her in an email.

Which size do you get?? They list medium and large....... I assume Im a medium?
    I ordered a medium form them. I just got a note that they are on backorder. 1-2 weeks likely.

hischj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Wadesville
    I bought the radians do it yourself kit and am very pleased. They are easy to mold and you won't know they are there. Plus they are washable.

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I have a set of custom fitted earplugs with a fancy valve in them. It lets you hear normal conversation but cuts off loud noise. I have no idea how much they cost since the place I work paid to have me fitted and paid for the earplugs. I also use the foam earplugs on a connecting string like what we have at work. I work in a glass factory where noise levels reach 140 decibels and still have my hearing after 38yrs so the disposable plugs work.lol

Silvertree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Dawn won't answer her phone if she is with another client but she always got back to me in an acceptable time frame.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I typically use the classic yellow foam disposables we have at work. They work fine for me, but I think Im going to try a set of those surefire ones in the near future.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is what I got back from Dawn on an email conversation.

Earplugs with flat attenuating filters good for skeet and gun range outdoor with open air acoustics are $175.

Electronic compression ears start at $600. I will use two manufacturers ESP or Starkey brand Magnum Ears. I like Starkey because I use them regularly and know the techs and managers. These are used in all situations but shine in hunting. They offer insertion gain, this regains the hearing you lose by putting something in your ear.... But compress and release quickly for superior protection in an instant.

I may pursue this, depending on how the SureFire work, once received of backorder.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I use AOSafety reusable corded earplugs for everything from watching motor racing, to shooting. Even top fuel dragsters were muffled enough for my tastes. And shooting an AR or SKS is pleasant.

I've bought a couple of 3 packs and keep them in just about every bag I could have with me (photo, EDC, bug out bag.)

Top Bottom