• ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I a 45 and a shield that I put the apex dcaek in. The 45 trigger was ok before but the apex with the glock style trigger made it perfect. The shield had an excellent trigger with a strong reset. The apex made it "better", but honestly the two were pretty close so I didn't gain much by changing things out. Part of the mushiness is their idea of the trigger safety by hinging the entire trigger . The apex trigger is way better and removes the mush. The polymer trigger is just as good as the aluminum so save some money if you switch.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Well I went and fondled them both today. I much prefer the XDS trigger over the shield. Time to sell the Kahr.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I have two...and I must admit that I carry my shield a lot more than I thought I would. My wife carries the other on occasion. It a good pistol for the money.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    May I ask, why shield over the compact? Is it just because the shield is slimmer by .25"?

I've not handled either and am going to purchase one or the other in the next week or so. So legitimately wondering.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    May I ask, why shield over the compact? Is it just because the shield is slimmer by .25"?

I've not handled either and am going to purchase one or the other in the next week or so. So legitimately wondering.

Yes, the slimness doesn't sound like much until you carry it IWB. It makes a huge difference, or at least it did to me. I was never comfortable with a thicker pistol, but I carry the Shield all the time with no problems.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I got some range time in with mine yesterday (9mm shield). Trigger is pretty great out of the box. Reset is great. I shot a 50% qualification course by ILEA standards out to 25 yards and I got a perfect score (all within the 8 ring out to that distance). I only had one failure to extract and that was it. A very solid and shootable pistol for pretty cheap. The grip is JUST long enough for me to get a full grip.

And yes, that .25" makes a BIG difference when carrying IWB. I have a new Safariland GLS holster that I carry mine in and a Kangaroo Carry holster that I use when working out. :)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yes the difference between the shield and the m&pc is huge in my opinion. I have both and the full size models. I too am very surprised by the accuracy and controllability of the shield for such a small pistol in 9mm. Others I have loaned it to have been very impressed too. I would highly recommend all of the m&p pistols

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I carry the full size IWB all day long and it's somewhat comfortable, so I'm guessing the difference between the shield and compact will be negligible for me?

I dunno, I will probably, in time, end up purchasing both. I just like the thought of using my full size magazines in the compact.

Brazilbilly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Clay county
    I have a Shield 40 as well. It's a great gun. As stated before it's a little snappy, but totally manageable.
    I have shot a friends 9mm Shield, but I like the extra little thump that the 40 has.

Diamond Jim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    My shield shot to the left also. Called S & W and told them about it. They sent me a box to ship it paid the freight both ways and had it back in just a few days.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Yeah then I'd go with the compact. I really only prefer the shield for deep conceal. For deep deep conceal I go even smaller :):

I have both in 9mm, like the compact better, but carry the Shield IWB...it seems to just fit perfectly, doesn't disappear all the way which I don't really care about, but it's comfy and goes bang every time, that I care about!

KagA152

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 18, 2013
    Freetown
    I've had a bodyguard, just could never get used to the way it handled. Next purchase was a full size .40. It got traded for a 9mm shield when they came out and I haven't looked back. Very manageable with hot loads. Got an APEX trigger waiting to go in it, need to get to work. To be back on topic I much prefer the shield to the competition. LC9 I know the trigger pull is part of the safety, but just too much. XDS are nice guns, just dont fit my hand well. I do like they offer the 4.0" now

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The Shield 40 is what I carry and have for the past two years. As for this whole safety thing pope are so up in arms about, any good smith can remove it for you. I like having it there personally and am sad they changed to one w/o it. I am glad I already have mine if the rest of you are so sad about them that S&W will have to drop it to make you happy. I hate glocks for many reasons, one is the lack of a thumb safety. Guns are easier for people to fire without the safety which means those who lack training will only make the news more when shooting their toes off. We don't need the bad press. S&W will also stiffen what is a perfect trigger to make it safer. In short, the Shield 40 is the first time I have ever loved an S&W pistol and now it will be ruined because people can't seem to work a safety properly.

I don't find this one too much to control in recoil nor does mine shoot anywhere but dead on.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For me - it's the combination of weight and thickness as to why I prefer to carry the shield over the other M&P pistols.

Even with a Henry Hybrid hoslter - I'd rather shlep the shield.

Of course - I don't have nearly the room IWB as I used to - even just a few years ago. :-(

Top Bottom