• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I'm new here but glad I found this forum. I posted this question on another forum but got mixed answers maybe due to the fact that each state has different gun laws.

Can my fiancee walk into my local gun store and purchase a 1911 for me? I have reason to believe she is going to try and surprise me for the holidays. I've done a little research as to what is a straw purchase but it really didn't clarify that.

I've been told as soon as she says its a gift they will refuse the sale.
    I've been told its illegal.
    I've been told she can do it.

Thanks for the help

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    As far as I understand, it would be a legal purchase, because she would still be the actual purchaser even though she would not be the end possessor.

If you give someone money and tell them "buy this gun for me" - you are the actual purchaser and using them as a proxy to fill out the paperwork and buy the gun - and that would be ILLEGAL.

In this case, she is the purchaser and is giving it to you as a gift - and you are not using her as a proxy to buy the firearm.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer... I do not work for the ATF... do not take my word for it, do more research.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    As you stated, its different from state to state, but the main thing is, she can get one for you, as long as its legal for you to possess one. When she is filing out the form, she can tell the gun store that the is getting it from, that she is getting it for you as a present. Usually they worry about straw purchases when its looking a little shady, but when she goes in, and is upfront about it, it really helps relax the gun store employees, and then they will be more able to help her out. After all, look at it from their point of view, it could be someone trying to get them in trouble, acting shady, etc, so then it irks them, cause they just want to do business, and no one likes people looking over their shoulders like that.
    I am sure some on here that own, or work at gun stores could explain it better, but its not illegal.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    It differs from State to State. Being a new resident to Indiana I can not say for certain. I know in Pa if she bought it for you as a gift she would then have to go back to the dealer or any FFL to transfer it to you. That does not seem to be the case here but can't say for sure.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Ah, and after reading the title, I thought were going to give pointers on purchasing a girlfriend. Yes, she is legal to buy and then gift it to you. Providing she can legally own a firearm.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Ah, and after reading the title, I thought were going to give pointers on purchasing a girlfriend. Yes, she is legal to buy and then gift it to you. Providing she can legally own a firearm.

Me too....though I couldnt find any WTB: Girlfriend posts in the classifieds. I think that goes against da rulez, anyway. :D

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

Good title because i thought you were wanting to buy a girlfriend... Seriously though I've bought a firearm as a gift to my GF and i told the gun store before i bought it and there was no trouble

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is not illegal for someone to purchase a firearm as a gift.

A straw purchase is illegal EXCEPT as a gift. This is spelled out explicitly here:
    http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf on page 165, under the section for Straw Purchases (second column, half way down or so).

Where a person purchases a firearm
    with the intent of making a gift of the
    firearm to another person, the person
    making the purchase is indeed the true
    purchaser. There is no straw purchaser
    in these instances.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I bought a shotgun for my dad as a gift. The question on the form asks if you are the actual purchaser of the firearm. I interpret that as, so long as someone doesn't hand you money and say "go buy this gun for me", its legal. But IANAL. I would call up your local police department and ask them.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've been told as soon as she says its a gift they will refuse the sale.
    Then don't do that.

I've been told its illegal.
    I've been told a lot of legal things are illegal - by people who should know better.

I've been told she can do it.
    Then someone told you the right answer.

I hope she got the right answer too... :cool:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    II would call up your local police department and ask them.

This if often times terrible advice. Many many times, they do not know the law regarding firearms. You're also apt to get an individual's OPINION.

It is not illegal for someone to purchase a firearm as a gift.

A straw purchase is illegal EXCEPT as a gift. This is spelled out explicitly here:
    http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf on page 165, under the section for Straw Purchases (second column, half way down or so).

This link is the only one that really matters.

-J-

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012

:laugh: this is what I was thinking too. I was about to ask if they had a trade in program

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    This if often times terrible advice. Many many times, they do not know the law regarding firearms. You're also apt to get an individual's OPINION.

-J-

True dat... you could ask 10 cops and get 10 different answers... I had a cop tell me that I had to have a license to purchase a silencer and that it could only be used on one gun and had to remain on that gun FOREVER. He said that if I ever got caught with that suppressor not attached to the ONE GUN that I registered it, I could get in trouble.

:n00b:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom