Important Online Poll: Should we have an armed guard in every American school?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    You guys don't think just the presence of an armed guard would deter a shooter from going in a school? :dunno: I don't see any other ideas coming out to counter the anti gun push. I don't like it either but trying to take my guns is not a good idea either.
    NRA is our only hope with the numbers to help right now. :twocents:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    We didn't use to have armed police around schools when I was in school (back in the "Dark Ages" of the 50s and 60s) but society has changed radically since then. While having armed police or security guards in schools wouldn't be my first choice (I think the weapons ban for adults should be rescinded so teachers could arm themselves), it's about the only "reasonable" suggestion the NRA can put out there at present without being crucified by the MSM and politicians and the anti-gunners who are wringing their hands in glee over this "opportunity".

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    This man should have never been able to gain access to the school in the first place. No matter what the school should have been a secure place to hold classes. Even if it means having the class room area totally isolated from the office area. There are ways it can and has been done in a lot of schools.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Well, which measure would you prefer to be pushed and possibly passed?

An 'black rifle' and pistol weapon ban?

Or,

A law making an armed guard (s), and/or CCW teachers and/or staff legal in the schools?

Take your pick.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I do not believe an armed guard/LEO is the right idea. He will end up being the first one targeted and the massacre will soon follow. The crazed attacker will always have the element of surprise, so the guard/officer really stands no chance.

You can't stop crazy people from committing crazy acts. I feel a better idea would be to arm the law abiding teachers as to deter this from happening or minimalize the detrimental outcome.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    The new head moron of Chicago, Rahm Emanuel says vehemently that armed guards in our schools is a crazy idea, yet half of Chicago's schools already have them.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Training and arming a willing principal would be free, if the principal happened to have his own weapon. It would be advantageous if the principal had trained with his own weapon, and was particularly comfortable and proficient with it.

I don't think it would be particularly hard to find that principal, in one particular school I know of.:D... I might add that the weapon would be carried in a concealed manner by that particular principal. No sense in rattling anyone except someone wanting to do harm.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    i think that sending a principal and a few teachers from each school through a gun training course and then arming them in schools makes way more since. like one guy said an armed guard would be a fixed target and plus it would probably cost billions versus just sending a few from each school to a training class. probably never happen until the people in this country wake up and face reality.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I taught at public Jr. high and elementary schools for 30 yrs. It is not as easy to secure a school facility as many here seem to think! Doors (enough points of egress in emergency means many doors) have to be opened for lengths of time for students to come and go at many different times during the day, not only at start and finish of the school day. Any dedicated shooter who knows or learns this routine could circumvent the main entrance. I think plainclothes trained individuals who could not be picked easily from staff would be a good start. Teachers who ccw could serve this purpose but you would have many schools where no teacher who ccw'd was working. A system where any and all teachers could carry would have a few knuckleheads who would allow their weapon to fall from their person onto the classroom floor and etc. I see negligent discharge of a weapon as inevitable in this scenario! Thoroughly trained individuals, whether they be hired law enforcement or teachers with special training would be a positive in school hallways in my opinion. :twocents:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Let me understand this. Some of you want a teacher to carry a gun in class. You are going to give her what eight hours of training. Where is she going to carry this gun. On her hip? On her leg and pull up the dress to get to it in an emergency? Under her arm? When she picks up Johny from skinning his knee will he be able to get to her gun?

I don't under stand why some of you are saying that we can't have police in the schools because it is unconstitutional. We have police in schools now. They are just not in the lower grades. It is my understanding that in LA most of the schools of the upper grades all have police in them or the couldn't hold school.

Some one said that the police officer would be the first one taken out. If he has his vest on and is trained he has a much better chance then an untrained teacher. All so why would he have to be in a uniform? Why couldn't he or she be dressed just like the teachers?

There was a question about having all the doors locked. I have never been in a school that didn't have doors lock when you went out them. If you went out a side door and let the door close than you would have to walk around the building and go through the front door to get back in. It is my under standing that this last shooting the guy shot the lock to get in to the school.

I know there are no easy answers to this problem. We in this country have not had to deal with some of the horrors that other countries have had to learn to deal with. Some countries have had schools blown up. What do they do in other countries to protect there children? They use the police, army and any thing else that they can think of to protect there children. Ours deserve no less.

Reducing the size of a mag of an AR isn't going to help stop this sort of thing. If they ban all the ARs it still isn't going to stop this sort of thing. When I first heard the story they said the guy used two hand guns. I thought at the time more fuel to try and get rid of hand guns. The honest truth is that in other countries where it is hard for them to get small arms they used bombs.

May God protect and keep our children safe and may this never happen again.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Not sure if it's really the solution.
    I guess it's better than nobody armed but I dont think it would stop another attack, unless you do something like the air marshalls with plainclothes armed guards.
    Armed guards worked for Israel for the last 40+ years. Not really sure what you think is wrong with the idea. The first thing that comes to my mind is that even the knowledge that the schools have armed personnel would deter many attacks. It is obvious that most if not all of the mass killings have been in "gun free" zones. I believe many attempts would not be made and if one were there are very good odds that the amount of carnage would be greatly mitigated. By the way - what do you have for a better - or any solution? It is obvious to almost everyone here that no gun ban will have ANY actual effect - although it might make it easier to kill more, as once in a while an armed person has stopped some attacks.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I voted no. Just make it so those that carry are not restricted in where they may carry and why we are at it get rid of the damn pink permission slip to out God given rights

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Aren't school secured entrance already? I know all the schools in Miami co. are, you got to be let in after buzzing the office and stating your business...I dont think that an armed guard is necessary, wouldn't a person who is on point(an adult on the lookout) be able to raise an alarm? But, Pretty sure the schools around here have a designated LEO now. I was saying the other day, we're home schooling our grand-children...least I know it's secured...and IIRC, school was prison...

...the school in CT had a locked - buzzed in only - front door, the guy simply broke through it. The perp went to the place where he could do the most damage and not have ANY resistance. When he did feel the pressure of the LEO's he capped himself. Put a retired LEO or return vet, armed, near that door and make sure everybody knows he's there, and you will deter school shooting IMHO.

rameses1812

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    Having a LEO in school buildings helps. The element of surprise is helped by having cameras and monitors with staff paying attention strategically located. I've been in charge with an officer at my side for a number of years now and we have been able to diffuse tense situations that could have gone extremely bad on more then one occasion. Truly understanding the civil and criminal sides that must be combined to provide true school safety goes far deeper then asking if there should be a LEO in a building. I find it amusing to have politicians and others expressing opinions without experiencing being in schools and seeing the dangers of both sides BUT inactivity and no training will continue to offer places for (words that I will not use) people to go on killing sprees.

Top Bottom