• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    How is the retirement of any public employee private?

Is not public employee retirement, like public employee current compensation, funded by he public?

The only way a pension is 100% "private" is if by some miracle the ROI is massive to a point where only the employe contributions are able to cover all future payouts, meaning the government payout is able to go back to the general fund. Here is an example of the basic Indiana PERF:

To get your full benefits as early as possible, your years of service plus age have to equal eighty-five. So, say you start a job at 25, you work 30 years making $50K/year (to make things simple). At 55 years old, you can take full retirement since 30 years plus age of 55 equal 85. The formula for the basic PERF is (Years of service)*(Average highest wage for five years)*1.1%. In our example, it would be 30*50,000*.011= $16,500 a year for the rest of your life. This is one reason Indiana's basic retirement plan isn't doing all that bad. The payouts are no where near what other states are paying out for some of their people.

In addition to the $16,500/year, there is also an annuity benefit, which is 3% of income. In the example above, it would be $45,000 at retirement. The annuity can be invested in stock and bond funds (not that many choices), so it can be higher or lower depending on what a person chooses to invest in. In addition, there is a guaranted fund which pays a set %. The problem is that this return can be very, very low or very, very high. It is adjusted to current interest rates, so the current % is next to nothing.

At $50K/year, one will be putting in about $200/paycheck on a bi-weekly pay, so around $5,200/year. I have no idea how much the state puts in. As one can see, with this pension, the employee contributes 33% of the payout. How much the taxpayers put in depends on the rate of return that the investers can obtain on that 33%.

Most people with this pension can't retire in their 50s due to many reasons (don't save their money, health issues while working, no healthcare benefits if they leave, college cost for the kids, etc.).

Now there are other Indiana pensions, which are totally different than the above. In the above basic PERF pension, the employee also pays into Social Security. However, under the 77 Police/Fire Pension, the officers and firefighters don't. One can collect on that fund at 52 years of age with just 20 years of service.

The payout is better. It takes basically the highest wage for 1st class officer/firefighter. It then pays 50% of that wage. If you work over 20 years, it pays out 1% for every six months of additional service up to a max of 12 years, or 24% addition, for a total of 74% of wage. Say an IFD FF tops out at $60K. They work 32 years, they would get $45,000/year for life. However, I don't believe they get any social security benefit.

It is these higher payout pensions that are causing the most trouble. The payouts are tied to wages which have just went higher and higher over the decades. Also, while in past years maybe many people retired with just over 20 years, I see many officers and FF working at least 30 years. Again, more raises over those years means even more payout.

The current employee contribution is only 6% of yearly wage. The government puts in 19.7%. Out of $60K/year, this is only a contribution of about $15K/year. So after 32 years, it would be $480,000 invested for the employee. Say the employee retires with 32 years of service at age 57 with the full 74% payout at $60K/year. The amount paid in only covers a little over ten years of payouts. If there is decent enough ROI, there likely would be a lot more money to cover the additional years.

The state does force citizens to fund public employee payroll.

Correct. It has never been an issue until some pro-public worker states went way overboard with the pension benefits and pension in the "private" sector started to go away. Indiana's payouts aren't all that huge, but they have a possibility of getting too big if % of payout goes up and/or wages increase. Seeing what is happening around the country, I don't see any elected official ever increasing benefits. In fact, I wouldn't even be surprised to see a move to a 401(k) style system for future public employees.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Why not have everyone certified as a police officer? Have a reserve force of 100,000? Keep the full timers but have a very large reserve force that has surge capacity in times of emergency. We are required to have a "well regulated" militia (all males between 17 and 45). We are failing to insure that all males are self disciplined and prepared to serve. Mandatory service could change that.

Newsflash: No matter how well intentioned or how much benefit it might actually provide, mandatory service is slavery, paid or not.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Trooper said:
    And too many gun owners are complaining on the treatment by IMPD. If you give the office you CCW permit then you are treated like a criminal. IMPD seems to have a policy of mandatory handcuffing and humiliation of anyone who is not a police officer. While I am supportive of police against the anti cops in Indy, IMPD could help the situation by treating gun owners with more respect.

If true, such changes would be beneficial, but I wouldn't know as I don't carry (or even own) guns.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Why is the City not looking into hiring more reserves or looking into lateral transfers to fill open spots?

Word is that we are looking into laterals. Reserves, well, not many are willing to put in hundreds of hours in the academy on nights weekends then more hundreds in field training just to work for free. It is a HUGE time commitment that frankly most familys cannot afford to make.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Word is that we are looking into laterals. Reserves, well, not many are willing to put in hundreds of hours in the academy on nights weekends then more hundreds in field training just to work for free. It is a HUGE time commitment that frankly most familys cannot afford to make.

Yeah, understandable. I have mixed feelings towards whether you should have to complete the full academy and FTO vs 40 hr pre basic and FTO to be a reserve. Both have there positives and negatives.

GMGCSWRET

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    IPD/IMPD reservers are full academy, and full FTO programs, county was (not sure now) 40hr basic/FTO program big difference in training time and commitment

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    IPD/IMPD reservers are full academy, and full FTO programs, county was (not sure now) 40hr basic/FTO program big difference in training time and commitment

If you are referring to the Marion County Sheriff's Department pre-merger their reserve academy exceeded the ILEA hour requirements. The special deputy academy was a 40hr pre-basic only.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Yeah, understandable. I have mixed feelings towards whether you should have to complete the full academy and FTO vs 40 hr pre basic and FTO to be a reserve. Both have there positives and negatives.

Having done just "pre-Basic" when I was a Special Deputy, I'd refuse to work on the street with that little knowledge of policing, although I knew a number of Special Deputies who ended up doing just that. That's like painting a sign on your back saying: "Kick me. I don't know crap."

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Having done just "pre-Basic" when I was a Special Deputy, I'd refuse to work on the street with that little knowledge of policing, although I knew a number of Special Deputies who ended up doing just that. That's like painting a sign on your back saying: "Kick me. I don't know crap."

Or "Sue me, I know just enough to be dangerous"

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Or "Sue me, I know just enough to be dangerous"

Exactly. I had a co-worker (who was also a Special Deputy) at EMA who worked security in a couple places on the streets of Indy. We had several discussions about how crazy he had to be to hang himself out that way.

I learned my lesson when I was a "Rentacop" in Houston for a couple years.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    bwahahahahahaha! That ideal is so ludicrous I don't even know where to start. I am, of course, assuming that you mean traffic tickets when you reference "revenue generators". If that is what you mean then I am here to tell you that is absolutely bass-ackwards. We simply don't have time to write traffic tickets just for the sport of doing so. The run load is so heavy and manpower is so light that if a guy went out writing tickets, his beat partners would take him behind a shed and kick his ass.

Huh, just from my observation during lunch today, one IMPD officer was continually circling a particular section of Ameriplex Prkway, right in front of the new Subway. He was litterally circling one section of the road, for the pure purpose to catch speeders. This just happened today. He got three while I enjoyed my sub sammich. I sure hope his beat partners carry out what you say. :patriot:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    we have officers working a federal grant project right now solely to enforce traffic regs. they are getting paid by uncle Sam and are working above and beyond their scheduled IMPD shift.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Huh, just from my observation during lunch today, one IMPD officer was continually circling a particular section of Ameriplex Prkway, right in front of the new Subway. He was litterally circling one section of the road, for the pure purpose to catch speeders. This just happened today. He got three while I enjoyed my sub sammich. I sure hope his beat partners carry out what you say. :patriot:

I'm having a hard time believing anyone speeds on Ameriplex Pkwy.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland

Bear in mind that all large metropolitan departments have ticket quotas, regardless of how much they deny it. You will never see any police department charge an officer with "failure to meet ticket quota" because to do so would be an admission that they exist. They nail you in unofficial ways. In Cincinnati a good performance rating got you extra points on promotional exams which potentially meant thousands of dollars per year in income. Failure to meet ticket quotas meant a poor performance rating. You see how this system works.

Occasionally an officer will be assigned to do traffic enforcement in a given area based on citizen complaints. Woe betide an officer assigned in this way who comes back to the station with what his sergeant considers an insufficient number of tickets.

I once made an official request for transfer to get out of an assignment I didn't much care for. The word came back from the captain of the station that I could "buy" the transfer with a sufficient number of traffic tickets...I am not making this up. I would not subject myself (or the taxpayers) to this and stayed where I was.

Seeing an officer wasting his time in this way when there is crime all around him needing to be crushed is not automatically the cop's fault. Many times the blame lies with the system.

Top Bottom