• ...and so much more!
  • Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Immediate Action Medical-Tactical Response 07/12/2016-07/13/2016

This is my review for Immediate Action Medical from Tactical Response. I attended this course on 07/12/2016 to 07/13/2016. Tactical Response instructor Calvin Lim taught this course. There was no required gear to take this course, and each student was provided with a VOK medical trauma kit. An extra set of clothes (that you don’t mind destroying) is recommended.

Immediate Action Medical started with a discussion of some common misconceptions of trauma medical care. Keeping someone alive due to a traumatic injury only long enough to get to a hospital is your main goal. Just a basic understanding of what trauma is, and how to fix it is all that is required to really make a difference when it counts. Calvin also stressed that aimed, accurate, and deadly fire is the best kind of medical treatment you can provide. You should be carrying two trauma kits--one to induce trauma, and one to fix it.

The majority of the two-day course consisted of understanding the three most common types of trauma: excessive blood loss, tension pneumothorax, and airway obstruction. Each of these was discussed and then a practical application followed. Tourniquet use was done in normal lighted conditions as well as applying a tourniquet while blindfolded. Every student had the opportunity to insert a NPA airway into another student as well as have one applied to him or her. Calvin also set up a rack of ribs with a balloon under it, simulating a realistic way to insert a 14-gauge needle to decompress a chest cavity.

I went into this course with some trauma medicine training. I left this course with a better understanding of the need to practice these skills. Other trauma medicine courses I have attended in the past did not have near the practical application time as Immediate Action Medical. I now plan to practice my medical skills on a regular basis, much like I do with my shooting practice at my local range. Calvin Lim was a great instructor, with quick and precise answers for the students in the class.

If you own a gun and have never taken a trauma medicine class, take this course. Trauma medicine is the “unsexy” part of carrying a gun. You are much more likely to save a life with this type of medical training than you are to save a life by using your firearm. If you carry a gun you should at least be carrying a tourniquet.

Take this course.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Calvin's a good instructor. Thank you for the AAR.

Did you get the feeling that everyone in Camden seemed to know why you were in town?

The locals have always been friendly to me, but they all seem to know why you're in town without you saying anything.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Calvin's a good instructor. Thank you for the AAR.

Did you get the feeling that everyone in Camden seemed to know why you were in town?

The locals have always been friendly to me, but they all seem to know why you're in town without you saying anything.

They always know why you're there. Mostly because when you go out to eat there are about 20 guys with you.

Top Bottom