I'm wanting a 1911 and dont know what to get!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    Really depends on your pocketbook and what you want it for.

what he said!

is it for carry? range? safe queen?... what caliber? railed or not?....

good luck narrowing it down, ive had RIA tactical 5" and loved it and a Springfield GI MIL SPEC 5" CCed both without problems. the springfield was a little bit beter fit but for the $ id buy another RIA

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you posted your max budget...it'd be easier to suggest!

If you've only got $600max... No use in suggesting a Nighthawk, Les Baer, or Ed Brown!

BiggEarl

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Cory, IN
    Well I am looking to carry.. I was not wanting to spend over 8 or 900. I have been looking at a para ordnance carry and warthog. I don't mind carrying g a full though.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Springfield champion lightweight is gonna be my next baby. But it has taken several for me to know that it's exactly what I want.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Just my two cents...I would stay away from compact models...a 1911 is a full sized gun and has been for 100 years! Thats what makes a 1911 a 1911, at least to me. I can not personally confirm but I have also heard that the compact 1911s do not fuction as reliably as a full size.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    _MG_1376-1.jpg

A picture of my brand new Sig Sauer 1911 C3 (Commander size 4.25" Slide/Barrel) on an Officer's frame. Cost me $769. Feels like it should have cost A LOT more!

I know at least in the hand, Springfield Armory's 1911 pistols have always felt good to me. But this Sig felt like the affair I should be in!

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    Rock Island Tactical or Match. Perhaps an STI Spartan (Armscor frame and STI parts)? Like others have said: What is its purpose? Target shooting, Bullseye, IDPA, USPSA. As a wise man told me: The gun is the cheap part. Feeding it gets expensive. 45 ACP can set you back in higher volume shooting.

What I have:

RIA 1911 Tactical (Reliable gun for everything)
    Kimber Classic Custom Stainless (SS USPSA)
    Colt 1991 Series 80 (safe queen)

I did have:
    Norinco 1911. Bought to use as a builder gun. Sold it to buy bullets(not loaded ammo) for the above.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Just my two cents...I would stay away from compact models...a 1911 is a full sized gun and has been for 100 years! Thats what makes a 1911 a 1911, at least to me. I can not personally confirm but I have also heard that the compact 1911s do not fuction as reliably as a full size.

Why do people just regurgitate nonsense they read on the interwebz?

The compacts absolutely will function as well as the full size. I have one Kimber Ultra Carry (Series I)with close to 2k rounds through it with zero malfunctions and another Ultra CDP II with close to half that, again with zero malfunctions.

As for the OPs question, once you figure out what you want to do with it, find a couple that you can shoot to see what you like better. My guess is you will like shooting the full size guns better, but there isn't much that carries better than an Officers size frame in my book.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    You may want to consider a Springfield Mil-Spec, Paras are a good choice,
    Auto-Ordnance, etc.

If you get an entry level 1911, you can always upgrade with better sights, finish, etc. later if necessary.

Remember what Louis Awerbuck has said: "Don't put s**t on your gun."

A good trigger and good sights go a long way. Most of the new "bargain" 1911's have polished feed ramps and throated barrels that will feed HP rounds.

Use great (not good) quality magazines. Wilson, CMC, and Les Baer come to mind. I personally use Wilson mags, because you can take the mags apart and replace spring and follower regularly.

Do not buy or use junk. Please. Pretty Please.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Why do people just regurgitate nonsense they read on the interwebz?

The compacts absolutely will function as well as the full size. I have one Kimber Ultra Carry (Series I)with close to 2k rounds through it with zero malfunctions and another Ultra CDP II with close to half that, again with zero malfunctions.

As for the OPs question, once you figure out what you want to do with it, find a couple that you can shoot to see what you like better. My guess is you will like shooting the full size guns better, but there isn't much that carries better than an Officers size frame in my book.

Not "regurgitated from web"...I have heard this from actaul gun owners of compact 1911s...And as I said I can't personally confirm it. My opinion is that a 1911 was orginally made full size and thats when I think a 1911 is at its best. Slow down killer....I didnt **** on your Kimber!

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Not "regurgitated from web"...I have heard this from actaul gun owners of compact 1911s...And as I said I can't personally confirm it. My opinion is that a 1911 was orginally made full size and thats when I think a 1911 is at its best. Slow down killer....I didnt **** on your Kimber!

Killer?

I wiped the urine off the Kimbers but they weren't upset. Can't say the same for the Colts on the top shelf. They're kinda over protective of the smaller guns.

Oh yeah, assume all that's in purple.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I just bought a second Para P12 used. It's my EDC and I don't want to pine for it in the evidence locker, should that come to pass. It's a 3.5 compact, 12+1, flawless in my experience. You hear about the bad experiences more than the good ones. Think about it. How many times would you get online to make a post about something that didn't break?

Top Bottom