• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was on the U-verse website this afternoon, the "check availability" for U-verse TV said it wasn't available for my address. I entered the search by address and phone number just to see if one made a difference. Told me no U-verse TV for me. :dunno:

Uverse limits how long the incoming feed is from the source. Too far from source and they have issues unless you are on fiber optic. We are not on fiber. We are also the last ones on this feed. My SIL lives right next door and it is not yet available to them. They are running fiber next summer.......:woot: and I can't wait.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have U-verse (cable, phone and internet) and a few years ago the idea occurred to me that our set-top boxes are really kind of like routers (or repeaters or something :):) and I knew I could hardwire into them and connect to the internet. We have a utility wall at the opposite end of the house from the main gateway and I couldn't get a wireless signal on the other side of that wall. I had an old DSL modem/router (Linksys), so with the help of a nice young Indian gentleman named Greg or somesuch, I was able to plug it in with an ethernet cable to the set top box at that end of the house and set up a second network. This one serves our family room and deck, and our wireless printer, while the main network serves the rest of the house. It's worked great for us.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Cisco is good only if it's purely Cisco. The Liknsys/Cisco stuff is the bastard child of both companies, and doesn't last.

Cisco doesn't make low priced consumer grade stuff. Linksys is no worse than netgear, dlink, etc. Perfectly fine for home use.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and you CAN get uverse. They just added equipment on the west end of the 'hood to enable it. It just isn't in the system properly. Supposedly going into one of the local ATT stores works. They can see a different database. That's what our across the street neighbors had to do.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My setup:

• Brighthouse cable internet. Can't remember the speed. 6Mb, I think? Maybe faster by now.
    • Netgear Wireless N router. It is several years old, and running strong. It has both a 2.4GHz radio and 5.whatever radio for the newer stuff.
    • We have several computers, tablets, iPhones, etc... that connect. Our printer is also on the wireless network, so any device can print to it directly. It is some older model Brother all-in-one. Even our Wii and TV are on the wireless, though we don't really use their internet abilities. On a typical day, we have my work laptop, personal laptop, desktop, 2 iPhones, Kindle Fire, and the printer running.
    • I also have a 2TB USB drive connected to the router as my personal "cloud" storage. Anything saved there is accessible to any device on my network (mostly pictures).

I've set up several of these for family. Really not that big of a deal, and doesn't take any maintenance. If they stop working, resetting the router and cable modem seems to do the trick (happens about once every 3-4 months for me).

You will want more than DSL if several folks are on at the same time. Our 6Mb connection seems to be fine for us. It even runs our phone (we have the all-in-one package) while I'm doing a web-casting meeting and my wife is facebooking.

Top Bottom