• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I would agree with other posters that .40 tends to be a little more difficult to control than .45. The smoothest shooting .40 I ever shot was a PX4 Storm.

Of course, conventional wisdom doesn't always apply when it comes to perceived muzzle flip. I can track the sights better with my M&P9c than I can with my full size and all steel CZ85 (also a 9). I think a lot of it comes down to ergonomics and how you grip the gun.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My EX loved my 23 and could shoot the heck out of it. She said it fit like a glove. This from a woman 5'8" and 140lbs.
    I hated the gun. Too small in the grip for me. I like the .40 rd but I'm not recoil sensitive either.
    I gave her the 23 when we split. No losses noted from losing the 23 or the EX. I don't miss either of them.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    there is a reason so many PD's carry .40.

Bigger round than 9mm, higher FPS than 9mm.

I don't think "muzzle flip" is one of their considerations, but I'm sure stopping power is.

These days a 9mm hollowpoint like Hornday's Critical Defense will certainly do the job, while allowing a shooter to practice with much cheaper ammo like WWB. I used to only carry a .40 but with rounds like these I moved to 9mm.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, you gave the Glock a try and that's what is good about having so many choices. I happen to love the .40 round, but not in a compact gun. I thought I would never own a 9mm because they just weren't enjoyable to shoot, to me. Now I'm preparing to change from a Sig P226 .40 S&W to a M&P Shield 9mm for EDC.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    You should certainly stick with the caliber you are most proficient with. However, before you buy something, I suggest doing some research on the ballistics and tendencies of each caliber before making a decision on wether or not you like a certain manufacturer or not. Just sayin!

I suggest sticking with a compact 9mm.

I didn't buy it. It was a friends. Only friend I have with a Glock. There were other reasons I didn't like the gun beyond recoil, That's more of the manufacturers fault but one gun isnt tailored for everybody. A Glock is certainly not for me but im still willing to try one in 9 because I really dont care much for compact guns anyway. I cant dislike a gun cause I shot the compact first, That isn't fair. Compacts are supposed to be brutal. The most brutal handgun I have is the Radom P64. I dislike this gun for the same reasons but I have a soft spot for surplus guns, I dont shoot it often but comparably Ill shoot my larger Makarov caliber guns all day long.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    there is a reason so many PD's carry .40.

Bigger round than 9mm, higher FPS than 9mm.

I don't think "muzzle flip" is one of their considerations, but I'm sure stopping power is.

These days a 9mm hollowpoint like Hornday's Critical Defense will certainly do the job, while allowing a shooter to practice with much cheaper ammo like WWB. I used to only carry a .40 but with rounds like these I moved to 9mm.

Not trying to be a jerk, but on average the 9mm usually has a higher muzzle velocity than the .40. The slowest 9mms are around 1200 FPS, while the fastest .40s are around that same mark of 1200 FPS.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not trying to be a jerk, but on average the 9mm usually has a higher muzzle velocity than the .40. The slowest 9mms are around 1200 FPS, while the fastest .40s are around that same mark of 1200 FPS.

Regardless of stat's, the .40 bangs steel a heck of a lot harder than any
    9MM round we have sent down range. WE did our own test and used 9MM -.40
    and .45 shooting into a 1/4 in. steel plate. The 9MM left a splatter mark and had a dull ring. The .40 made a dent in the plate and sang when it hit. The .45 ACP rang and bent the plate into a concave shape. It was 50 or so rounds of .45 but I still have the plate.

No knock on the 9MM but it just does not hit that hard. We had trouble flipping a dueling tree with 9's

No knock on the round, please don't shoot me with it but the other 2 just pack a better punch on target.

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    No sense in being sorry about it. I personally shoot the G23 well, but it's not for everyone. I have yet to shoot a 1911, so maybe when I do I'll be singing their praises.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Regardless of stat's, the .40 bangs steel a heck of a lot harder than any
    9MM round we have sent down range. WE did our own test and used 9MM -.40
    and .45 shooting into a 1/4 in. steel plate. The 9MM left a splatter mark and had a dull ring. The .40 made a dent in the plate and sang when it hit. The .45 ACP rang and bent the plate into a concave shape. It was 50 or so rounds of .45 but I still have the plate.

No knock on the 9MM but it just does not hit that hard. We had trouble flipping a dueling tree with 9's

No knock on the round, please don't shoot me with it but the other 2 just pack a better punch on target.

I'm not sure why you quoted me, but I wasn't arguing either caliber's superiority. I personally carry and prefer .40 S&W. :yesway:

Larger diameter = larger surface area = greater energy transference. At least in my mostly uneducated and completely unscientific opinion.

Mechy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Agreed, I took a course with a glock (22, I think) several years ago. I just never got to liking it much. For me the grip angle just didn't quite fit me, and that little trigger safety bar wore a raw spot on my finger.

Top Bottom