• I'm NOT going back because:

• Total voters

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you had a bad experience at a store and don't intend to return because of it, please share the nature of the experience.
    Please don't mention the names of the stores.
    I don't care who offended you, I just want to know What They Did.
    Also, since many people have VERY strong opinions about Don's Guns, I'd prefer to leave him out of it. I'm not taking a position either way on his stores in this post; I'm just excluding him.
    Also, I have left out prices as a reason.

Maybe some shop owners will think about how their customers might see them.

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Getting ignored while the owner talked to the peanut gallery. You know, the group of old men who sit around the shop and talk all day. Not so much as a be there in a second.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I have had a bad experience once a Dons Guns. I feel like they over charge me for a Hi Point. I paid 350.00 for it and was told it is the going rate on a 40 cal Hi Point lol. Ok not really but it sounds funny lol ;)

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Employees that like to toss their cigarettes towards my convertible with the top down (landing right at the very edge of the top of the windshield and metal frame where it could of blown into the car)
    Employees that like to say a gun isn't worth trusting your life to unless it costs atleast $500.00.
    Employees that try to field strip a gun trying to show off, dropping half of the parts on the floor then trying to brag about how quick he took it apart, picked the parts up off the floor and left an idiot mark.

These all came from the same place.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Employees that like to toss their cigarettes towards my convertible with the top down (landing right at the very edge of the top of the windshield and metal frame where it could of blown into the car)
    Employees that like to say a gun isn't worth trusting your life to unless it costs atleast $500.00.
    Employees that try to field strip a gun trying to show off, dropping half of the parts on the floor then trying to brag about how quick he took it apart, picked the parts up off the floor and left an idiot mark.

Wow, was this all in the same visit?

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan

Oh I know that store and I also remember reading when you posted about the cigarette. On a side note I bought my first pistol from Don, I still have it (G19) and durned if the price I paid is the price I see them selling for everytime I look.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Being talked down to by employees who do not know what they are talking about, but never fail to inform me that they have x years in the military or on the police force and therefore know everything about guns.

It usually goes down like this:

Me: Excuse me, but do you have product X?

Gunstore employee: What? They don't make those and they never will.

Me: Do you mind checking with one of the other guys, I've been reading about product X and would like to purchase one if I can find one.

GSE: Look bud, I've been a cop for Y years and was in the military for Z years before that. If they ever made that product I would know.

Me: Thank You ( I try to catch the eye of another gun store employee to ask)

GSE: What, you don't think I know what I'm talking about? I said Y years as a cop and Z years as military. I KNOW GUNS.

That's how it usually goes down. I have seen it time and time again in various gun shops years apart. I really don't know why I inspire this reaction. It's not like I'm looking for unicorn testes, I'm usually looking for a model of a common firearm or a type of ammo from a major manufacturer. I just seem to draw these guys out of the woodwork.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    You missed "Because their prices were stupidly, insanely high"

I have visited an LGS a couple of times pre-panic. Last summer he was asking at least $100 over MSRP on everything. Haven't been back since.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Yeah, one day during a shopping trip, I had an arm-load of stuff to take up to the counter. Soft cases, cleaning stuff, ammo, a holster, yada yada. Not a million dollar sale, but it was up there in the triple digits.
    I saw an Eotech on the counter... upon a closer look, it wasn't a real one. It was a Chinese knock off. It didn't have batteries in it, so I couldn't see what was different about it.
    The counter guy was bs-ing with some tire-kicker, and after a couple times of juggling and repositioning all the crap I was holding... I put all my stuff on the counter, pointed at the optic on display and asked, "What's the difference between the real Eotechs and the clones?"
    The guy got irritated and said, "Honey, that's like a scope. A scope is a thing that goes on top of a gun. Do you even know what those are for?"
    I patted the junk I just put on the counter and walked out.

I said I'd never go back.
    A few people have told me since the name of the place changed, it's different.
    But more people have told me it's still the same ol' same ol'.

I know older folks who get treated rotten there, women folks who get treated like idiots, and a few disabled people who say they get talked to like they're retarded.

Yeah... not going back.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    Man this site is full of Ol Debbie Downers!! How about some positive Nancy's.

Whooooaaaa... wait a second. There are debbie downers, sad susans, and negative nancys. What is this positive nancy nonsense you speak of lol???

The one I run into time and time again is getting ignored while an employee is bs'ing with his buddies or regulars. It used to really get me fired up, but anymore I kind of expect it when I go into a new shop. Got my go-to shops that never seem to pull this stuff, but any other shop I just go in with low expectations that way I don't end up too disappointed lol.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    It irritates me when the people who work in gun shops have terrible gun-handling skills.

Once I was in a local gun store, I was about to fill out the paperwork on a revolver I was purchasing when the employee opened the cylinder, spun it, and flicked it closed very hard (Hollywood style). Needless to say, I told the employee I was no longer interested and I eventually purchased the same model at another store (for a better price).

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Several years ago I was in the market for a Ruger SP101. I had done my research and knew exactly what I wanted AND had cash in hand. Went to gunshop A, they did not have one but could order it. Sounded great. Stopped in every week to check to see when It would be in, was finally told "supplier issues" and it probably would be best to go elsewhere. Side note: They went out of business 6 months later.
    So I went to gunshop B. After standing infront of the counter for 5-10 minutes the owner leaves a BS session to see if I wanted anything. No SP's in stock but could order for a downpayment. GREAT!! He just didn't seem interested on ordering the gun or getting a downpayment. Acted like it was too big of hassle. Fine, search continues. Side note: Went back a few more time to look then decided not to bother him anymore.
    Told my dilema to a friend and he suggested gunshop C. No SP instock but he got me a price and excepted a deposit. Went back a few days later when he said it would be in and it was there. Guess where I go now? Side note: Bought another gun there last week.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    One shop has made a point of being on the local news every few months, last time I saw them on the news it was talking about panic buying sales. The shop, not the reporter brought up OC and decided to tell everyone how it was such a bad thing to do in Indiana and only causes problems. With 4 other shops in under a mile from them I decided that was enough never to go back; they were already on thin ice for not being able to manage their paper work properly, requiring an urgent return to the shop so they could balance their books (though they did at least put effort into trying to make that one right).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Shop #1: Smoke so thick I didn't want to take my son inside, came back without him. Smoke still really thick, but that's not enough to drive me out. Took a few friends, spent some cash even though some of the employees were a bit stand-offish...then went back and saw a $100.50 Pmag. Never been back, never will go back.

Shop #2: Posted something they had in their inventory that I was interested in. The door had a sign that said "no loaded guns, no exceptions". Since I didn't want to call and arrange the transaction in the parking lot, I left without entering. Your house, your rules, but my money won't support you.

On a positive note, I have several LGS on a regular rotation. All have been consistently fair with their pricing, allow loaded weapons that remain holstered, and are friendly and clean.

1) Beech Grove Firearms. Last time I bought ammo there, it was cheaper than online sources.
    2) Indy Trading Post. Haven't bought anything yet, but stopped in and looked a few times. I just didn't "discover" them until the panic brought inventories down and they haven't had what I'm looking for. They've been friendly as I browsed, though. I have taken some friends in who did make some purchases.
    3) US Defense Solutions (new business in Greenwood, looks promising so far). Made a minor purchase, owners are members on this board and look to really have a passion for doing their store the right way.
    4) 256 Sport & Garden any time I'm down around Austin. Dale's a character, love to stop in and see what he's got going on. His prices are really good, and he gets good inventory for such a small shop. I don't know how, but his suppliers must love him, he gets goodies no one else has. My favorite 1911 came from his shop.
    5) Orion Arms. Chris is a great guy to work with. I just don't get down to Jeffersonville very much these days. When I lived further south, I spent thousands in that shop, if you count when it was still Kiesler's.
    6) Outdoorsman Sport Shop. This is a new addition to the list, only been in once. Very friendly sales staff and they were great with my son.

ironman870

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    NE
    I hold gun stores and junkyards in the same category. Most people who work them don't have the best customer service skills. Some may be introverts.. Shop there enough though and they'll know you pretty well. Not by name, but enough to give you their undivided attention and be happy to see you.

Secondly.. Think about the clientele they deal with on a daily basis.

Top Bottom