• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    The only real way to test for Body Mass health is to be hydrostatically weighed. It is the true measure of fat to muscle/bone body composition.

Before I got married (ain't there now but working on getting back to it) I was 5'9", 34 in. waist, 50 inch chest and weighed 207. Body Fat after hydrostatic weigh in was under 13%. BMI . . . . 30 +. :xmad: If you are an active male (he!! active anything) BMI IS BULLSHIRT!

And from what I have read about ObummerCare, BMI is going to be a BIG determiner in your health care. Regardless. The Gubmint wants us all to be unarmed 98 pound weaklings as well as uninformed. :xmad: :xmad: :xmad: :xmad:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had a personal trainer at a big health club. I was about 230 and getting a little soft. Their "testing" wanted my 6'2" body down about 182. They got me as far down as 190. Strict diet, strict work out routine, lots of vitamin supplements. I was so sick. I felt so bad. It hurt to get out of bed in the morning. I had no energy. My mind was struggling at work. My normal drive was almost gone. I fired the personal trainer. The rest of the "professional training staff" told me I was making a big mistake, that I needed to keep on going or I would be sorry.

I started eating a regular healthy diet and made an effort to stay active. I gained weight back to 205, where I felt like I could take on the world at a moments notice. I kept myself at 205 for about 20 years. I did all kinds of things and was as active as anyone I knew. My wife enjoyed the benefits.

My opinion is to trust your body, It will generally tell you the truth. The "science" you get at even big name health clubs is not all that good. Use the recommendations as a guide, but do not accept it if it is not making sense.

Healthy and in shape really is better.

Did your personal "trainer" ever do an actual ACCURATE body fat percentage measurement?

If this wasn't done, there's NO way to know your actual lean weight.
    Without knowing this, ANY goal body weight is just a wild guess.

Being that you actually felt good at 205 pounds and sick at 190 pounds, it would be interesting to know what you ACTUAL Body Fat percentage was at 205 pounds.

I would bet your personal "trainer" used an inaccurate lean body weight number to come up with 190.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I finished a weight loss program with NIFS.

Just did a full body composition assessment I am now 18% body fat. But I am considered Obese by my BMI. anything less than 20% body fat for men is considered healthy.

This is the program
    Weight Loss Membership

When I took "Physiology of Exercise" at IU Bloomington some years ago, the goal Body Fat for an AVERAGE health non-athletic man was 15%, for the AVERAGE healthy non-athletic woman it was 20%.

For an athlete, a range in the 7% area was ideal.

I lived with a long distance runner who ran on the IU track and Cross Country team and his Body Fat percentage was 3-4% and sometimes less if memory serves.
    Course he typically ran 20 miles a day, 6 days a week.

Last edited:

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    I'm 6'5" and 260 lbs. My cardiologist told me that I should weigh 185. I just laughed at him. Maybe 220 would be better, but I know I will never get below the 200 mark again.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    When I took "Physiology of Exercise" at IU Bloomington some years ago, the goal Body Fat for an AVERAGE health non-athletic man was 15%, for the AVERAGE healthy non-athletic woman it was 20%.

For an athlete, a range in the 7% area was ideal.

I lived with a long distance runner who ran on the IU track and Cross Country team and his Body Fat percentage was 3-4% and sometimes less if memory serves.
    Course he typically ran 20 miles a day, 6 days a week.

Notice I said under 20% for men was healthy. 18-24% is considered average for men. under 18% for men is considered ideal. I don't know the numbers for women off the top of my head I could google them but I am too lazy.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I'm 6'5" and 260 lbs. My cardiologist told me that I should weigh 185. I just laughed at him. Maybe 220 would be better, but I know I will never get below the 200 mark again.
    I am 6'4" and was 240 they said the same thing. that was Thanksgiving 2012 as of last friday I am 205 and still loosing weight. my goal is 190 should be there by end of April. It takes a lot of work but can be done.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

And your cardiologist came up with this number of 185 how?
    Without measuring YOUR actual body fat percentage, he's just shootin' in the dark.

This type of thing is the result of using the BMI and standard weight charts, etc, and NOT treating each person as an individual.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Notice I said under 20% for men was healthy. 18-24% is considered average for men. under 18% for men is considered ideal. I don't know the numbers for women off the top of my head I could google them but I am too lazy.

I remember we were taught that women have an extra layer of fat, and an addition of 5 percentage points was what we used.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Edporch, In my case the training staff simply did height and weight and tape measured my wrists, chest, waist, legs etc, and used calipers on my belly and thighs. They didn't have the electronic deal that you stand on barefooted or weigh me in a water tank. I think they were just guessing and guessed wrong. All I know is their plan was making me sick. Common sense made me well.

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    I am 6'4" and was 240 they said the same thing. that was Thanksgiving 2012 as of last friday I am 205 and still loosing weight. my goal is 190 should be there by end of April. It takes a lot of work but can be done.

I'm 6'6" and was told I needed to be in the 180-200 lb range ... I just laughed at the doctor. The last time I was below 200 lbs was 10 years ago as a freshman at Truman State University in NE Missouri. The dorm food was so awful I lost 30 lbs in just under 2 semesters. I weighed 190 lbs and looked and felt like I was sick. Realistically I should probably be in the 220-240 range so I'm trying to get my butt back on an elliptical 5 days a week. BMI using weight and height is a terrible way to classify body fat %.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I'm 6'6" and was told I needed to be in the 180-200 lb range ... I just laughed at the doctor. The last time I was below 200 lbs was 10 years ago as a freshman at Truman State University in NE Missouri. The dorm food was so awful I lost 30 lbs in just under 2 semesters. I weighed 190 lbs and looked and felt like I was sick. Realistically I should probably be in the 220-240 range so I'm trying to get my butt back on an elliptical 5 days a week. BMI using weight and height is a terrible way to classify body fat %.

I never said I used BMI to calculate my percentage body fat. My first post said that I had a bod composition tests done. The included the "Bod Pod" COSMED - Gold Standard Body Composition measurement in adults, children and infants and VO2 testing along with other things. I know what my real numbers are. and at 190lbs if my weight loss trend remains the same I will be around 16-17% body fat. I did agree that BMI is bad hence why I said even at 190 I would still be considered obese by my BMI number.

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    I never said I used BMI to calculate my percentage body fat. My first post said that I had a bod composition tests done. The included the "Bod Pod" COSMED - Gold Standard Body Composition measurement in adults, children and infants and VO2 testing along with other things. I know what my real numbers are. and at 190lbs if my weight loss trend remains the same I will be around 16-17% body fat. I did agree that BMI is bad hence why I said even at 190 I would still be considered obese by my BMI number.

Sorry, didn't mean to direct that at you ... I actually had multiple posts quoted and was only trying to add my :twocents:. Sorry for the confusion.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Yep

I always ran about 250 pounds till I turned 45 and found out I was diabetic. Since then I've gone to 327 pounds and am pretty damn tired of it. I plan on joining a gym and loosing some of this weight and with any luck, get off all these meds I take. Does anyone know if you can drink beer while you ride the exercise bikes in the gym?

If you wear one of those helmet cupholder deals.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    A former Tour de France winner, Bjarne Riis, (who won one before L. A. did his thing), was 6'3" and 180lbs. I'd say he was quite healthy. ;) ZERO upper body muscle tone, obviously. And skinny shoulders. hehe.

But I'm in the exact same boat as you - though you're likely in a LOT better shape than I am.

Me? At under 200lbs? :rofl: I'd look like I'd been through the chemo/radiation wringer.

Back in 2005 I took a weight loss pill that is now banned. It sent the Thyroid into hyperactivity and I went down to 195lbs before my wife told me to stop. My eyes were sunk in and I looked ill. We equate long bouts of cardio as healthy and see weight training as fringe type health. See those Kenyans who win all the marathons? They are considered very healthy but have NO muscle mass. They can't in order to run distance. They are ultra specialized for their sport. Much like sumo wrestlers, top power lifter, cyclists, etc. I propose that they are NOT that healthy and in fact are so specialized that they are harming their overall health. We need to redefine "Healthy".

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    i'm way too fat now, but haven't made the commitment to work on it just yet. the way i look at it, if i were a game animal or fish, i'd be a trophy.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Coors Light is diet beer, and it's refreshing. It's pretty much just like vitamin water with a splash of alcohol to keep things in perspective. It's a staple in my "workout routine". :cheers:

If you like your water flavored, Miller Chill Lite Lime beer only has a 100 calories a bottle. Bud Light Lime only has a 116 calories. It's like water with a splash of lime & alcohol. Both have fewer calories than a regular soda. ;)

Last edited:

junior438

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    redkey
    while i was laid off, i went from 180 up to 220 in just 5 months. my wife told me i was getting fat. i told her im not getting fat, i just expnading my portfolio to get me on the biggest loser. that way theyl pay me 250,000 to lose the weight.

Top Bottom